RotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackboxWideners
Titan ReloadingLoad DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 7.62X40 Load Data

Know this is a old post, but is there any reason the loads mentioned would not be safe in a 30-223 bolt action?

Boolit Master
    Let's resurrect this discussion.

Who is currently shooting this cartridge with cast?

What barrel are you using?

Anyone besides Hornady making dies?

I've been contemplating building an upper.
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

Boolit Buddy
    Just bought a barrel for my remington 700. I have only shot jacketed in it so far, but I purchase a noe bullet mold to try. Lee makes dies for it, I purchased from wilson tactical.

Boolit Master

AA1680 is the prime #1 powder for the 7.62x40WT........if you can find any.

I don't believe there is a can of it anywhere in West Virginia, not that I can find anyway!

Been using IMR 4198 and it is doing ok, but it is not up to job AA1680 does. For an AR type rifle with carbine length gas port, AA1680 is perfect pressure/burn rate, and gets great velocity.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by LongPoint View Post
    Hickok, are you shooting cast in yours, if so what bullet? Would be nice if Michael would draw one up at 140-150 grains or so, with about a .200 meplat and TL grooves. By the way Powdervalley has 1's and 8's of 1680.
    Been shooting 125gr Sierra a lot, and it works great.

Couldn't get my AR to feed any good cast 30/30 type flat nose boolits with 100 % reliability.

But the CE Harris designed boolits for the 7.62x39 from Lee molds, the 155gr and the 160gr both feed great out of my AR.

Just haven't got to work with them yet as much as I want. Need to burn more powder before I can report.

I guess I am going to have to order AA1680, though I hate to pay the hazmat fee.

I have even asked sporting goods stores and gun shops about ordering Accurate powder and I just get a sob story.

Boolit Buddy
    Try Cabelas

Maybe this will help. I push the 145gr to a little over 2100 with H110/WW296, ~1 1/2 MOA @ 100. The 170 gr. works too with Lancer mags. 18" BO 1:10. A 185gr GC version works well too. For jacketed I love the little 150gr SPP from harnady. Thought long & hard about the wilson but decided to stick with the BO. The extra 300 fps doesn't really do me a lot. You can usee the BO dies for the Wilson, just have to set the press right. I actually pushed the shoulder out half way to the Wilson - leaves the longer throat for heavies but didn't want to spend the $$. I don't shoot subs anyway. Normally PC but even BLL works.
    Attachment 201462 Attachment 201463
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    Hit a really good sale at Wilson; 16" match AR barrel, dies, and case guage on the way.

Any more 'pearls of wisdom' from anyone on this cartridge?

Any practical do's and don'ts for case forming? I'll start with some once fired LC brass.

Boolit Master

Finally found 3 pounds of AA1680 and grabbed all 3 cans. (Cabella's in Charleston WV, thanks Steelshooter)

Works perfectly in my rifle. Went back to standard weight buffer and the rifle cycles beautifully. Mine is the carbine-length gas system.

Also the Sierra 125 gr spitzer puts deer down nicely, complete pentration broadside.

Boolit Master
    Way to go, Hickok. I've got a jug of [surplus] H116 that the SIL and I have using for 7.62x39 as a replacement for 1680. I suspect it is the same powder. I'll start with some Nosler 125-BT (on hand) that work well with a number of different loadings. Then on to some real boolits, after I get it runnin'...

Boolit Master

Sundog, I can give you one tip when forming brass.....anneal the case neck and shoulder. Really helps case life and rejection rate. I really like my 7.62x40. It is like having an AR compatible 7.62x39.

Sorry longpoint - way late, yes I use Cu in all my alloy. This was same as I use in the 308W 4% Sb & 0.5% Cu. Heat treated. I use AC in the pistol and run them slower.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    Attachment 243739

Left to right : 7.62x39, Accurate 30-150-SP (GC & PC), 300 AAC BO, 7.62x40, and 7.62.40.

The 30-150-SP loaded over 21.0/DP73 will function in an AR ( cycle and lock after last round). DP73 load data says it is 95% of AA2230 which puts it roughly around Western Xterminator. At this time I do not have velocity or accuracy data. Just thought y'all might want to cogitate with this for a spell. Or tell me I'm crazy....

Yesterday I did a little measuring - case lengths and volumes. 7.62x39 and 7.62x40 (both fire formed cases are pretty close. My previous load testing notes helped me to get to this point with previous X39 data.

DISCLAIMER: this is not verified load data, just early test samples.

The 300 BO was included in the pic for reference.

For other tested data take a look at the Mad Dog Weapon systems forum. There is a pretty good string of data on that sight along with bullets that do and don't work well with the 7.62 X 40. I have both the 300 BO and the 7.62 X 40. Both are fun calibers. The BO is the way to go if you want a can and to shoot subsonic. The X40 is the better truck woods gun in my opinion. 125 gr SP at around 2450 fps out of mine. This bullet has shown good expansion at around 50 yards with the x40 for me where the 300 BO has little to no expansion with the same bullet. It will expand at a lot further but I will only confirm with I have tested and recovered it at. This mold from NOE also shoots great out of both the BO and X40 NOE HTC310-135-RN.
    Last edited by Time Killer; 06-17-2019 at 07:07 PM.

Boolit Master
    I shot some of the 150s yesterday at 100 yards. They'll do a four inch group for 10 shots. I'll work with this some more.

I also shot some of the RCBS 7.62x39-130-SPL, also. These were also PC'd and loaded over 21.5/DP73. Velocity is unknown at this point. They shoot a tighter group. Since I only had a few test rounds loaded I shot several three shot groups. Best was sub one inch.

Feed and function 100% with both loadings.

Boolit Master
    Lee makes dies for this also, available from Wilson.
    https://shopwilsoncombat.com/Lee-Pre...762X40WTDIE-L/

Wilson is selling their remaining stock of barrels for this caliber at a discount as they are pushing their 300 HAM'R.

Here is some load data. There is more than Barnes bullets listed here even though it is a Barnes page.

http://www.wilsoncombat.com/press/7....nes%20Data.pdf
    "Don't worry what they think. In the end it is not between them and you, it is between you and God."

Je suis Charlie!

"You won't know until you Actually try it"

"The impossible just takes longer."

"Don't let them beat you down with their inexperience."

"You'll never accomplish what you don't try. " - Moldmaker

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12