WidenersReloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Repackbox

Thread: 357 Rem. Max.

Boolit Mold

Question 357 Rem. Max.

Is there a case out there that I could make some 357 Rem. Max cases out of?

Pretty sure the answer is no.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    You can make rimless out of .223,,,,,,,,,(I'm joking. You could, but the extractor would have to be changed.)
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

I suppose in the interest of discussion you COULD make 357 max cases from 3/8 Half hard brass round stock. It would require a lathe and the patience of Job.

Banned

I make it from Remington 357 max brass.

you might could make some that's a tick short from 351 wsl.

Boolit Master

I kind of remember reading that the originator of the 357 Maximum made the first cases by cutting up regular 357 Mag cases, and then welding assorted pieces back together again.

Boolit Master
    You have hit the big snag with using an interesting, different cartridge. Only the real thing I'm sure would be be really satisfactory, but I can't believe it is going to stay unavailable if you keep looking. It could be that the German 5.6x50R case could be straightened out, but it might not end up with the right neck thickness. I believe it would be best to use a series of expanders and annealings on the neck, and then fireform the body, or shorten them (to about the front of the shoulder) first. You don't need any of the neck, but a split which starts there might run backward.

It should be possible, if you have access to a lathe and are desperate enough to go to a bit of trouble, to swage a rim onto a slightly reverse tapered reduction of the solid head. It is troublesome, but should work with a .223 family case.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 376Steyr View Post
    I kind of remember reading that the originator of the 357 Maximum made the first cases by cutting up regular 357 Mag cases, and then welding assorted pieces back together again.

If you feel you have to make up a composite case, I would use it for fairly mild pistol loads, and not any of the rather interesting rounds to which the Maximum can be necked down. In these circumstances I don't know that there is any real justification for not just using the Magnum round. The only one I can imagine is the rounds I have seen some people developing, with the case carried right to the mouth of a short revolver cylinder, and loaded with about three tuna-can shaped bullets.

But if you see reason to do this, 3/8in. K&S or similar tubing (available on eBay) has about an 11/32 or .343in. bore. You could turn down the rear of a .32-20 case and cut it off there, or you could fireform it so as to have the whole length to the shoulder inside the tube. With the latter especially, the slow-setting grades of epoxy might be fine. But I would solder it with low melting point solder. I don't trust a case head after being heated to normal soft solder temperature.
    Last edited by Ballistics in Scotland; 03-21-2015 at 01:26 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Mike Bellm has an interesting article on using 357 mag brass for maxi loads.
    http://www.bellmtcs.com/store/index.php?cid=658

Boolit Master
    The 5.6x50R case is harder to find than the Max and much pricier. Be patient. The .357 Max brass will come back along with everything else. When it does break down and buy a life's supply. You will not lose money on any you have left if you quit the .357 Max later.

Quote Originally Posted by 376Steyr View Post
    Confirmed! Elgin Gates developed the 357 SuperMag for silhouette shooting (Remington took up the round and renamed it 357 Remington Maximum). On page 81 of "Shooting Steel", Gates describes the process of sectioning 357 cases, and heliarc welding them together. The outside was turned so they would chamber; but the inside was left with a ridge for additional strength. IIRC the International Handgun Metallic Silhoutte Association (IHMSA) ran a batch of 357 Max brass with the IHMSA headstamp (it was that hard to find brass)

I got a batch of 357 Max brass last year with the Jameson headstamp. As others have noted, get it when it's available; you won't have any problems selling it. You may actually have better luck finding loaded Remington 357 Max rounds, and using that brass for your starter set. Strangely, I've seem more 357Max ammo than brass.

357 Max is seeing a good bit of action in Handi rifles (357Mag that have been reamed out to 357Max). I have two Maxis; one Contender and one Handi Rifle that has been reamed out. They both shoot great. They also do very well with 38Spl and 357Mag. A very nice round.

Boolit Master
    The weld together case is a myth. And as far as gates designing it, to my under standing Bill Ruger did all of that.
    Look up feed back from a gent named David Bradshaw. He was pretty much around the inception of the 357 maximum from the get go. His revolver shooting skills at distances rank right with Mr Keith IMHO.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by parson48 View Post
    Mike Bellm has an interesting article on using 357 mag brass for maxi loads.
    http://www.bellmtcs.com/store/index.php?cid=658
    Good read.
    "Don't worry what they think. In the end it is not between them and you, it is between you and God."

Je suis Charlie!

"You won't know until you Actually try it"

"The impossible just takes longer."

"Don't let them beat you down with their inexperience."

"You'll never accomplish what you don't try. " - Moldmaker

Boolit Master
    Zanders Sporting Goods @ Sparta, Illinois....2nd run sold out...Some loaded ammo...Jamison Brass and Ammunition....357 Maximun 158 grain JHP Prowwler Grade Ammunition.. Zanders 1 - 800 - 851- 4373