RepackboxLoad DataLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone fireing these new NOE 246-105-FN?

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.

Anyone fireing these new NOE 246-105-FN?

Well, It is brand new off the NOE boolit mould line: just wondering if anyone has shot these yet?
    Would love to hear any results
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Boolit Master

I have admired my mould and gas checks. I wish I had more time.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Just need a bit of time, maybe soon! I have a few cast, not enough yet.
    If you are not the lead dog, the scenery never changes

Boolit Master
    A Bump for this thread. Inquiring minds want to know
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

In Remembrance

What caliber, .243 or 6mm Rem? I still haven`t "soiled" my 6mm yet with these. A friend has used these in a .243 Win. with 2 loads that gave decent starter accuracy.

7 gr. Unique
    15 gr. 2400
    Winchester brass

He used C. Red lube and Hornady GC with his 50/50 + tin alloy. Robert

Boolit Master
    Thanks:I'm shooting .243"........ I'm chomping on the bit but a "bore rider" ; especially a new untried design gives me the willys until I see how it is working out for folks! What is "decent starter" accuracy???

I wish I had a better report on the NOE 246-105 flat based and gas checked.

Alloy- air cooled reclaimed shot + lino
    Case - Virgin WW (243 Win)
    Primer - WWLR
    Powders - Trailboss, IMR 4227, RL-7
    COL - 2.675"
    Lube - BAC
    Gas Checks - Gator 6 mm / .243
    Temp 56 - 64 F
    Wind - 18 mph gusts to 30 mph.
    Rifle - Kimber 84 Montana 243 Win
    Distance to target - 75 yds

Loaded the flat bases with Trailboss and the gas checked with 4227 & RL-7; the first .200" of the bore ride section is lightly engraving with the rifling. (See Picture) RCBS 244- 95 FN's with have about 0.080" of bite mark with this rifle. NOE 245 - 75 FN (looks like RCBS 224-55 FN) does not engrave. The bore ride section is measuring 0.238" at radius junction and 0.240".

Trailboss loads; first shot was 8" low next shot hit point of aim next 3 were all over the target. Looked like a 28 ga #4 buck pattern at 20 yds.
    Shot a few gas checked 4227 rounds next, these shot into a group of about 5". Did not try the RL-7 loads. Did not shoot loads over chronograph.

Have not looked in the bore yet and or swabbed with dry cotton.

Planning to dip the bore ride section in Lar's diluted Xlox and re-test time permitting. Also planning to try 7.0 gr Unique and 4 or 5 gr RedDot with the flat base.

This rifle will shoot the RCBS 95 FN & NOE 75 gr FN very well with all loads to date, including Trailboss both check and un-checked.

May try the 105's in a 28" 6-284.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	243 Win with Noe 246 - 105.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	112.5 KB 
ID:	135912

Boolit Master
    MarkP:
    Thanks for your report ( it was actually quite detailed!) you did well.
    I few questions: Does your COL - 2.675" put the bullet against the lands?

If you have it try 13 grains of 2400 alliant & after you check & lube do a tumble in Ben's Liquid lube that with fix the bore ride section That has been a winner in all my tests from 75 Grain through 100 grain for accuracy

What is the twist rate of your Kimber?
    What are you sizing them to?

Thank you for posting your results:
    Very much appreciated
    Jim

Boolit Buddy
    Most 243 will not stabilize a 105 unless it's faster twist than(most of the time not including) a 1:10. A 1:8 will do a ~115

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	243 105 lands.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	56.4 KB 
ID:	136009

The land engagement is between the magenta lines in the attached picture. I roughly measured it at 0.200"

I looked on Kimber's website 243's have a 1:10" twist....... I always assumed it was a 1:9". I checked the bore last night it is clean.

I have a 6-284 (1:9") that I will try these in, 20+ years ago I never really thought I would be shooting cast in it. The flat bases should be nearly silent due to the 28" bbl. (if subsonic of course)

Boolit Master
    Well, broke down & got the NOE mould &
    I jumped the gun a bit and tested some of these NOE 246-105 this weekend. First test was Yesterday and second test was today.
    I knew my water dropped boolits I cast last weekend still needed to age more but by mid week I was getting a BHN of 18 so I thought I would give them a test. Nothing scientific on powder selection just used my standard 13 grain of 2400 ( which shoot great with my other .243 boolits from 75 grainers up to 98 grainers)

Yesterdays test were ok but I couldn't get a definite group to form. The col I used just kissed the throat.

Today however It got better. I loaded the boolits about .0015 longer and let the chambered cartridge set the seating depth in the lands. Instantly a noticeable difference... I had groups forming( stringy, but grouped). Still not very excited but It is a better start.

Name:	2ndTestNOE246105.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	23.4 KB 
ID:	137345

These are just under an inch for the best 2 groups of the morning, left is 5 shots and right is 6 shots...still got a lot of work to do. Some of my other types of .243 boolits shot well right out of the box, so to speak, This one looks like it needs some TLC to get it to the same level

Boolit Master

I'm still waiting on both of my NOE molds should be here soon,I've mixed up some lead just for these molds please keep posting updates and loads
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Master
    JWFilips, at what distance were the two targets shot at?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Highwall View Post
    JWFilips, at what distance were the two targets shot at?
    Sorry I just realized I didn't mention that in that posting: They were shot at 50 yds. I do my initial load testings at 50 yds because I'm more confident in my holding aim at that distance so I eliminate some "old age errors"

Boolit Master
    I had a chance to get out today and test them again by bringing up the speed. Definite improvements. Used reloader 7 and 2400.
    at 20.5 grains reloader 7 and at 16 grains 2400 I shot the best groups. 5/8" and 1/2 " respectively for 5 shots at 50 yards. Now for some testing at tenths of a grain increments.

Name:	3rdTestsNOE105.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	22.4 KB 
ID:	137969

Boolit Master

Great thread, JW, for those of us that have an interest in this caliber and CBs. I got one of these molds from NOE, but have not cast with it as of yet. Just ordered a sizing die from Lathesmith. Got the gas checks from Blammer. My alloy is around 20bhn. Interested in the 2400 loads. Got plenty of that and it has done well in other rifle loads with CBs.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Master
    Well It looks like the 2400 is working well ( as I expected) The 16 grain loadings are at about 2000 fps based on "Quick Load" with Ben's Red and an overcoating of BLL those boolits at this speed are very bore friendly

Boolit Master

Hey JW were did you find load data for cast 105gr.?? I'm picking up my new TC Encore,in the morning,these NOE Molds cast pretty good right out of the box.just heat treatment a couple times lube and get started,wish I Had these a few years ago.

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SSGOldfart View Post
    Hey JW were did you find load data for cast 105gr.?? I'm picking up my new TC Encore,in the morning,these NOE Molds cast pretty good right out of the box.just heat treatment a couple times lube and get started,wish I Had these a few years ago.
    There really isn't any But I have good experience with the RCBS95 gr. So I work up slowly Castpics also has data for a 103 grain of some sort.
    but it is Easy The "universal load 10 gr of Unique!" will get you started. The biggest factor with the 105 NOE is you need 1 in 10 twist min. I would have to say that 16 gr 2400 is about max ( not pressure wise but speed wise) You can also start out with 19 gr of Reloader 7 (A safe start load). Pressure is not very high even at 21 grains.

HEY GUYS NOE has a special this week of 15% off this 246105 mould! Just sayin!

My real intension on this mould was to be able to shoot light loads with it...Seems like it isn't going to work for that. It needs some speed to keep it on target. Guess I will have to investigate the lighter moulds for this purpose

ALL in All: To sum up this boolit is a shooter if you work out your loads!
    It takes some work but when you find the sweet spot it can shoot thru the same hole if you do your part
    Last edited by JWFilips; 05-05-2015 at 07:56 PM.

Boolit Master

Yep lighter loads was my thinking as well,maybe a shorter,lighter Boolit Will be in order? I'm looking for a squirrel load to replace my 22mag. It only needs 1/2"@50yards for head shots but must have little if any recoil,NO recoil is due to a medical issue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast