WidenersRepackboxSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which is better, 32 or 36 caliber?

Boolit Master

Which is better, 32 or 36 caliber?

Looking for a small bore muzzle loader to introduce kids to black powder, and for me to play with too.

So, between the 32 and 36 calibers, which is better?

This will be used for punching paper, shooting fun targets, and maybe for hunting woodchucks.

What are the plus/minus of each bore size? Anything I need to look out for?

Thanks in advance,

Rick

Boolit Master
    I don't think there's a whole lot of difference between the two. But I've read Triditions makes a 32 cal Traditional model called the Crocket rifle. Specifically made for the purpose its smaller diameter barrel is helpful for the younger one's.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    The .32 will foul out a bit faster, and the ramrod can be delicate.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master

Both calibers aren't seen allot and especially the 36. 32 is abit light and good to about 50 yards or so. 36 would carry a little farther but like said the 32 usually will foul a little quicker and a little harder to load being so small but nothing you couldn't get around. When it comes down to it either one would fit the bill so if you see a decent one for a good price pick it up. If I saw them side by side though I would get the 36. A 40 wouldn't be a bad choice either.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Master

My wife's grandmother asked; "Which should a man choose, a violin, a wife or a pot?"
    The answer is, it depends. How big/strong are the kids. How much lead will you conserve with a 32 rather than a 36? How difficult a target are the woodchucks?
    Grandma's answer was it depends, too. Do you want to fiddle, diddle or piddle?
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Master
    Thanks everyone... so far you're telling me that what I thought I knew was true.

That the 32 will foul faster and that the ramrod can be fragile, and that it will only be useable for 50-75 yards, but it's easier to find a 32.

The 36 will go farther and hit harder and nearly everything about it will be more user friendly. I'm a little worried about kids bending ramrods so I'm leaning more towards the 36.

I guess the biggest thing I'm looking for is one smaller and lighter than my 50 cal Hawken.
    A TC Seneca would be perfect... if I was a millionaire.
    A Hopkins and Allen 36 underhammer might be perfect.

Keep those ideas coming folks!

Boolit Grand Master

My 32 has an aluminum ramrod and my other I bought a synthetic rod so I don't worry about breaking. It took me awhile to find a 36. Don't know why I had to have one but I did. I had 3-32s already. I had several deals fall through for 36s but every time I would forget about it, one would pop up. I passed on a few because they wanted premium prices an I couldn't justify it in my mind just for punching paper. Good luck on finding what you want. A 45 with light charges for kids might not be out of the question either.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Buddy

Personally I'd go with a 40. The ramrod is 3/8" which is a lot stronger than the 5/16" used in the 32 and 36. I have a 32 but prefer the 40 for most small game except the smallest edible game (cottontails and squirrels). Groundhogs are pretty tough and a 40 puts 'em down a lot better than a 32 or 36. Also the 40 will come in handy if you run into a coyote. In addition, the 40 is easy to load (doesn't foul easily) , economical to shoot, and extreeeemly accurate. If you are set on either a 32 or 36 for the kids though I believe I'd go with the 36. I absolutely love my Pedersoli 32 but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone that wasn't experienced with muzzleloaders. The 32 can be finicky and like others have said, can foul easily. I wipe between shots with all my flintlocks but it's especially critical with the 32.

Boolit Master
    Another thing to consider is overall weight of rifle and balance. All other things being equal, the smaller the bore the heavier and more muzzle heavy the gun will be. Two ways to compensate- shorter barrel and/or thinner barrel. Plus, in any reasonable sized or weighted rifle, the recoil of 40-45 or smaller caliber roundball load will be mild to very mild and can be adjusted further by charge.

Boolit Buddy

Most of my muzzle loading buddies concur that the. 40 caliber is the most accurate. I used to have a. 45 flintlock that was accurate, easy to load and light enough for a youngster. Good all around rifle too.
    "Well Stanley, here's another nice mess you got me into!" Oliver Hardy

Boolit Master

the .36 is easier to load and clean than the .32 and I have both. They are both fun to shoot just that the .32 gets dirtier faster and thus harder to load
    The .40 would be easier than either the .32 or .36 again size does matter in muzzle loading
    The .32 and .36 caliber tend to be harder to find, I lucked out and ended up with 2 of each all TC models and I would buy more if I found them
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Banned
    NJ (but usually somewhere east of the east coast)
    your going to have to swab between shots with pretty much all of them. every 3rd shot at least. For just range fun, any will do. for squirreling, the .32 is king, loaded light it will spoil the least meat. A headshot is always desireable, but not always possible. .32 is pretty much a 20-40 yard gun, further shots are possible, but accuracy diminishes quickly. .36 Would be better if intended quarry is groundhog/varminting, with its longer range capabilities. (maybe 60 ish) this is with roundballs. conicals may give you a bit more range, but some guns will shoot them, some not so much, They are easier to load, and on average cut, or diminish the need for swabbing. Some tips for swabbing in a small bore: Use small patches, too large of a patch usually bunches up behind the jag a lot more and helps with the binding. Do NOT dry patch after a few shots. Moisten the first patch with something (windex, alcahol/water, spit, etc.) THEN a dry patch or 2 (I usually use both sides) a dry patch, especially an oversized one will almost always lodge stuck and can be a hard fought learning experience. I will usually use a .22 size or .~3/4 for .32 and maybe 1" for .36, (usually the smaller for both, round or square does not matter) I also think the usual 1-48 twist on both calibers is too slow, especially the .32. Really not so much an issue for roundball, as either are good shooters inside their range, once a load is developed (load size, ball size and patch thickness, and even preferred lube) But for conicals (TC style maxi ball, or buffalo ballet) its much harder to "dial in" and some (probably a majority in my experience) just dont shoot the conicals as well. But for the kids for range fun, at short range. a conical may be the way to go, as loading is probably easier, and swabbing much less of an issue. conicals usually benefit from the use of an over powder wad, but is not completely neccesary. EDIT: you will also want a range rod. Either brass or stainless steel You WILL eventually be pulling a dryball (bullet loaded without powder) and pretty much, it is all around better for at the range.
    Last edited by Squeeze; 03-19-2015 at 07:15 AM.

IMHO, any round ball .40 and below is going to have such little recoil that point is somewhat moot. Advice as to the weight of the rifle will be the more important issue. If the choice has to be between a .32 and a .36 I'd go with the .36. Don't short change a .40, even if you take some weight off of it. Round balls just don't weigh very much.

My wife is VERY recoil conscious. A Ruger 10/22 is her limit. Years ago I would have trouble getting my .45 Hawken back from her as long as she had powder, caps, and round balls in a box I kept them in. I had too much fun watching her to ask for it back!

As already mentioned, the .40 will be the better pill for the groundhogs. BTW, grew up eating those grass munchers, and they are really very good to eat.

Boolit Master

My partner and I once shot 13 ground hogs in 16 shots with my .32 TC. It just flat out kills them at ranges under 50 yds. Never had a problem with it. I also never had a problem with it getting dirty using round balls and a good lubed patch. It likes .310 size ball and wonder lube on the patch.

Banned
    NJ (but usually somewhere east of the east coast)
    The TC is the exception to the rule, and the standard I judge my .32's on. its 1-30 twist has proven itself to me on every angle. Why nobody else picked up on that is a mystery. Ive been playing with a fast twist .36, my latest build. its still in load development

Boolit Buddy
    I have both in barrels from Green mountain that fit my Hawken and find them both to be equally easy to shoot..alot. Contrary to some other replies, I have not had the fouling problem in either of them and have gone over 50 shots without wiping or cleaning when using olive oil as a lubricant. On the other hand, I also have only one barrel that has ever given me much trouble in this regard and that one was a 40 cal and was also a Green Mt barrel. Three shots and you can not pound a ball down the barrel.
    When shooting at home I use a long short starter and a brass range rod.

Both are cheap to shoot with Ballistic Products selling 8 lb jugs of 1 1/2 buckshot at .310 for the 32 and Hornady making a .350 buckshot in five pound boxes for the 36

Boolit Master
    I have a 36 Seneca with a T/C 32 barrel that fits it. Quite happy with both. So far no problems for alot of years. Just alot of fun.
    swamp
    There is no problem so great, that it cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives.

A 40 is what we use, the smaller ones are great shooters, not forgiving loaders tho
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Boolit Master
    Thanks everyone... if I can find a 40 I'll grab it, but apparently those are made from unicorn tears by honest politicians.

I can find a 36 cal a little easier than a 40, but not much.

LGS actually had a 32 cal on the shelf last time I was in there, which is what got me starting to think one of these small bore front stuffers would be fun.

Will try to get there Saturday and see if it's still available.

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Squeeze View Post
    Either brass or stainless steel You WILL eventually be pulling a dryball (bullet loaded without powder) and pretty much, it is all around better for at the range.
    Off thread, but funny: I used to shoot a .58 Zouave in the 60s with my Dad. One day he loaded a minie ball w/o powder. We trickled powder down the nipple hole. He turned right around and loaded the next ball w/o powder! I've done it myself, but never twice in a row. So, since I was around 14 at the time I thought it was the funniest thing I had ever seen when he started swearing. I was rolling on the ground with tears in my eyes I was laughing so hard! Think he could have done w/o my antics. We suddenly had to go home, after he cleared that ball. Think I might have had something to do with that! He got payback much later, however. Years later I invited him to go shoot my front loaders one day, so he met me at the range. I forgot the BP. I remember him rolling on the ground...