WidenersRepackboxLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading Everything
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Yanks and Rebs

Statesville, North Carolina...too close to Charlotte

Yanks and Rebs

Just out of curiosity, has anyone done a bit on where the highest proportion of casters on this sight live?
    More Reb casters, or more Yank silver streamers?
    And let's not leave out our brethren from other countries...Like California.
    Myself, I was born in Ohio, grew up in Kentucky, and now reside in North Carolina with yearnings to make it to Montana some day. So, am I a Yank or a Reb?
    I'll say seriously conservative Reb with liberal Yank leanings.
    Okay gang, sound off. Maybe we can stir up a re-enactment or two!

Well, so far including Morgan Astorbilt's post we stand;

REBS-5

YANKS-4

East of Mississippi River-4

West of Mississippi River-5

Keep 'em coming guys.

Sundog, I like your idea of a density map and hereby nominate you for the geographer.
    Last edited by Lead melter; 03-07-2008 at 01:37 PM.
    "Ignorance is the parent of fear."-Herman Melville

Boolit Master

Born in the Western end of NY state. Raised there and in Florida.
    Spent 18 years of my life down south, between KY,FL, and NC.
    Moved to Wyoming 6 years ago and aint leaving!
    As Far as Yanks and Rebs go. I honor the memory of the men who fought and died on both sides for what they beleived in.
    Married a southern girl, who's only apparent flaw is TERRIBLE taste in men.
    I'll be a nice to you as you'll let me be, or as mean as you make me be.

Polite society started dying the day it was no longer necessary for rude men to physically defend themselves from the consquences of their actions or words.

Boolit Master
    That would be interesting -- even a density map, if that is possible. This site (and the old Shooters) is responsible for me meeting (face-to-face) several members; Calamity Jake, GonHuntin (where is he anyway?), Beeman, Felix, OKSMLE, Sailman and Dirty Jack (knew them from my club first) and a few others. If I missed someone, it's not intentional. It's always nice to have a new friend with a common obsession, uh, uh, interest, that is.

Good bunch of folks here.

Boolit Master

Born and raised in OH. Move to Ky shortly after getting out of the Army. I was stationed at Ft Knox. KY was a border state with leanings both ways. The 4th largest Civil War Museum is in my adopted home town, Bardstown. It is well worth seeing if you are in the area. BTW my dads side of the family had veterans on the Union side.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Grand Master

Born and raised in Western N.Y. Left home at 18, been in every state in the union, and numerous overseas countries. Lived for at least a reasonable period of time in 11 states. Married a Georgian, ended up in Nebraska where they will probably plant me. Respect both north and south, and have strong states rights conservative meantality. Not really sure what that means to this thread. Does seem to me however, that I spent 23 years in two branches of service with a higher percentage of career military from the south than from other parts of the country, again whatever that means.
    1Shirt!

Moderator Emeritus

Born in UT and lived most of my life in ID and MT. I have no desire to recapture my ancestral homes in Ireland and if pressed hard I would loose little if all east of the Mississippi slid off into the ooze. Thank God there is a place for everyone. Gianni
    Last edited by MT Gianni; 03-07-2008 at 12:00 PM.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Born and raised in Vermont, back when it was a patriotic and proud State. It no longer is, and certain towns like Brattleboro don't even deserve to be on the planet, never mind a part of America. Spent a couple of years in Kentucky, and some time in South Carolina. My ancestors had not reached America until some 40 years after the Civil War had ended. I honor the memory and courage of those on both sides of the War Between the States, and defy any hippietraitor passing by my house to try and take my American flag or Confederate flag down when I raise both in the summer.

Had relatives on both sides during the war of northern aggression.Penn. infantry,Iowa infantry,and Penn. cavalry.In the CSA they were in the Mississippi infantry.Tenn. cavalry,Georgia artillery,and Texas Cavalry.The northern infantry from Penn. were KIA attacking the Mississippi infantry positions at Chickamauga.The southerner's all survived to collect pensions in Texas.The northerer's all moved to Iowa and Oregon.I was born in Iowa but was brought to Texas at a couple of months old.Been here ever since.

My family wasn't here until after the conflict. I was born in Brooklyn, moved down here after retiring 25 yrs ago. Not far from you, Leadmelter, to the west, in Rutherford County. (Just far enough away from Charlotte.)
    Morgan

In Remembrance

Born in Texas 1945, lived in La. 4 yrs.75-79( south La., felt like I had moved back to US when I came back to Tx. Moved to Ok. twice (SE 63-65 and NE 81-85) Lived all over Tx. and will probably finish out my days here. Ancestors on one side came from Gremany in 1870's, the other side from Germany in 1777, part, other part were here when Columbus came. DALE

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lead melter View Post
    Myself, I was born in Ohio, grew up in Kentucky, and now reside in North Carolina with yearnings to make it to Montana some day. So, am I a Yank or a Reb?
    I'll say seriously conservative Reb with liberal Yank leanings.
    Now that brings up a question I had while back in NC recently; do South Carolinan's consider North Carolinan's as Yanks because they are "Norhterners"?

However what really brought back memories was the reference to "foriegners". Being in an airborne unit (173rd ABN Bde) there were a large number of southerners (rebs) and there was continual discusion of the "War of Northern Agression". Since I was from Oregon I was always refered to as a "foriegner" also. I always tried to remind the Rebs that Oregon Joined the Union in '59 and did not cecede (SP?) so that made me a "Yankee". Was to no avail, to them I was still a redneck cowboy foriegner. Heck, even the Yankee's said that! Was all in fun and the memories are fond ones.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master

Hi, All. I was born in South Texas, then lived in the D.C. area for a while before getting back home, where I've been since, except for military service periods. When my sister was born in D.C., I provided a vial of Texas soil so she could be natural born.

Family lore has four Scots-Irish brothers coming over in revolutionary times, towing a ne'er-do-well horsethief relative called Uncle Lumpkin. Lump is supposed to have been caught trying to assassinate a local sheriff by leaping from behind a tombstone with a blunderbus. Don't know if he cast his own.

There have been a number of military pilots in the family. One grandfather flew with Billy Mitchell and Dad and two uncles flew in WWII. I was a cold war fighter puke, probably the last aviator for a time.

Mark

NEVER ask a person if they are Texan. If they are,they are going to tell you without asking. If they are not you embarrass them.

Boolit Master

Both!

There was a movie RIDE WITH THE DEVIL about the WAR OF NORTHERN AGGRESSION here in Missouri, about a german teenager who rode with southern guerillas.

Grandma's people were the transplanted Virginians/Marylanders and Grandpa's were the Germans from religous colonies in Perry county MO. I was born in MO, lived 20+ years in Illinois and back to MO for 30+ years now.

My brothers live in Nampa ID. If I move again; Sheridan WY... Bozeman/Billings MT...Nampa ID.....Chadron NE are the short list.

Banned

yank here

Boolit Grand Master
    5th generation Californian here. CA is a strange one to classify as to Blue or Gray, there were a lot of both here at the time--and a lot who couldn't find a "good guy" on either side, and sat the affair out.

Near to where I live in the San Bernardino Mountains was a gold camp (Belleville) that boomed in 1860 and largely busted by 1862. Radical Secessionists took up residence at the site, and made things warm for garrisons placed at Cajon Pass and San Gorgonio Pass (now I-15 and I-10 respectively). Generally--due to routes taken into the state from their former home areas--southern Californians tended to lean toward the Confederacy while Northern Californians tended to be pro-Union. Vestiges of that difference are still in place today, because the two parts of the state couldn't be more different.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    I agree with most, if not all, of the Southern attributes, except for the slavery aspects. What I don't like about the Northern attributes is the eminent domain psychology. So, if another civil war broke out, well.... who knows. Probably will leave this country, but by then, there won't be another country worth going to. SOS, different location. All of the states I have spent some time in, I'd have to pick HI as the best all around. I'm talking well feelings here, nothing more. ... felix
    felix

Banned

I'm Green...

Boolit Grand Master
    ALABAMA - - - way down south in the land O' Cotton,....................

Central California. Around here, the small towns are pretty much like small towns everywhere..........in Mexico. Nice people, for the most part. If I had my choice, I'd kind of like to have to travel to see a foreign country.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast