Titan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Load DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Wideners
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 30-30 For a beginning target/range gun .

Boolit Bub

30-30 For a beginning target/range gun .

HI all .

I don't know if this is the right place to post this question, or not.

I wanted to start playing around with a dedicated cast bullet rifle , and am trying to decide what i want to get .
    I do cast and shoot, both handgun , and black powder cartridge now.

This is just a "range toy" nothing more .
    Only going to shoot at 100-200 yds .

I have a chance to buy a Ruger No 1 in 30-30 and was wondering if that would be a good start , or go with some other
    caliber ?

It seems like the powder capicity of this cartridge is about all you need for bullets up to 180-200 grs or so ?????

Any and all comments welcome
    thanks in advance

Joe

Boolit Master
    I have a Ruger No1 in 30-30 and yesterday I shot it with 8 grains of Unique with a SAECO #315 that I made into a plain base bullet that weighs about 180 grains.

Today I took the Nikon Monarch Gold 1.5-6X42mm off and put a Barska Benchmark 8-26X scope that fits the 30mm rings that I have on the rifle. I mounted this scope for load development because I could not make out the rings on the target yesterday but I could see the bullet holes. It also has parallax adjustment and target knobs that will make life easier on the range for load development.

If you have a chance to get a Ruger No1 in 30-30 do not wait to buy it or you will be kicking your butt for not buying it!!!

Boolit Grand Master

Have you bought it yet? I'm still looking for a No 1 in a cartridge I'm interested in, doubt I'd pass on this one.
    There are few cartridges more versatile and enjoyable than the thutty-thutty with cast boolits. You can use a light booolit and a small charge of pistol powder for short range plinking and small game or a heavier boolit and a case full of rifle powder for longer ranges or deer-sized game...and everything in between. Dozens of good boolit designs for this cartridge and many good powder choices as well. Once-fired brass can usually had for the asking on public ranges in the weeks leading up to deer season.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Jump all over it with both feet! What a fun cartridge, and to have one in a No. 1 would be awesome!
    Last edited by Beagle333; 03-22-2015 at 12:00 PM.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Banned

Wow, that is quite an opportunity if the price is right. .30-30 seems to be designed for cast...which it was. Perfect choice all around in my opinion.

Boolit Master
    If the price is right this is a no brainer. There are numerous boolits and powders to choose from for this cartridge.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Boolit Master
    I just finished neck expanding 50 cases with my newly designed 30-30 neck expanding die with the sliding chamber and floating expander. I also just changed the rotor on the RCBS Little Dandy to rotor #17 for a charge of 9 grains of Unique.

The next step will be to size and lube some SAECO #315 bullets that have the gas check feature removed from the mould making it a plain base bullet that weighs 178 grains out of the mould.

Boolit Grand Master

I would give my left whatchamacallit for a #1 in 30-30. Shoot all the way from 90 grainers up to about 190, and seat them way out!
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Bub
    Hey guys , sorry to be so late getting back to this thread, I was kind of , computer-less, for a few days

Unfortunately my "deal " fell through . ........

I should have know better , when it was one of those " I know someone that has one for sale " deals ............

I will say this though , going by the responses that I got from this post , I will definitely be on the HUNT for one .....

Thanks for the replies.......

Joe

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Buddy
    If you come across a NEF/H&R 30-30, grab it. Not as elegant as a #1, but mine shoots cast bullets very well. It's an older model with an ejector and open sights. It has a short leade so you can start the bullets in the rifling if you want. I shoot 115 LRN (.30 carbine) bullets over 6 grains of Trail Boss with terrific accuracy.

Banned
    the ruger #1 is a beutilfull rifle. i have one in 270win that shoots j-bullets at .3" at 100yards. my dad said he let me use a savage m340 in 30-30 for cast boolits. i also have another 30-30 in m94 that could use cast boolits. i am currently using an old springfield armory in 30-40 krag with 165gr ranch dogs. and i won't mind another 30-06 if i can find a 03a3 or 1917 at the right price.
    these 30 calibers are getting real expensive!

In Remembrance

I just got my Savage Model 219 single shot .30-30 last Monday and shot it for the first time today. I had loaded up my #311041 boolet over 31 gr. of IMR 3031, a load I`ve used before and know what to expect. I set up a target 75 yds from my bench and shot 10 rounds using only the open sights on the barrel. They went a little low on the target and right of center, but the 10 shots were in a group just over 3 1/2" center to center. Wonder what it`ll do if I do some load tweaking?Robert

Boolit Grand Master

Sorry you missed that one, Joe. I've learned that walking away from some guns is a mistake, other times it's a good move. Either way it likely won't be there later. Still trying to decide how to tell which is which, hard to say for sure. Sometimes a gun just doesn't reach out and grab me. Looks good, feels good, just can't pull the trigger. I've learned to listen to those feelings. Too late to tell on this one, next time may be different. Keep a sharp eye out and a wad of cash in your pocket, never know what you'll find.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Unfortunately my "deal " fell through . ........
    Oh no! Well, maybe you could compromise and get a 303 Lee Enfield for cast. Just kidding. The 30-30 has to be just about right on top for cast boolits. I'd personally like a break action in 30-30 but a Ruger No1 would be so cool.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Master
    The Ruger No1 was made for Lipsey's in 30-30 and they only had 250 of them made. A very few of these were made with Circassian Walnut of which mine has. I feel real lucky to have bought it and it is sitting right next to me with my other limited production Browning 1885 low wall in .260 Remington that only 200 were made as a non catalog item.

Banned
    mmmmmmmm......circassian walnut.......mmmmmmmm

sorry, i'm daydreaming again!!!

Boolit Master

Banned
    sorry, i was drooling!!!

I have two Rem 788's in 30-30 that are cast bullets only rifles. They are terrific cast bullet shooters. one has a 6x post type scope on it, the other has a moderate price 3x9 on it. Sure makes for fun and cheap shooting when I use my old stash of Hornady gas checks and pre-crazy days primers. Those cast bullets work very well on mule deer. I load them right up to factory level to hunt with. I've never seen a Number 1 in 30-30.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast