MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionLoad DataWidenersRotoMetals2
Repackbox Reloading Everything

Thread: New RCBS mold, anything to be worried about?

Boolit Bub

New RCBS mold, anything to be worried about?

This addiction is silly. I'm starting to buy up differnt mold designs!

Anyway I just received this RCBS today. The sprue plate was very crunchy swinging open and there is a nice gouge in the top of the mold. Just wondering if this is something to be concerned about.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  

Boolit Master

Take the sprue plate off and smooth the bottom of it with 400 grit sand paper. do this on a hard FLAT surface like a piece of glass. Put sand paper on hard surface, grit up, then hold bottom of sprue plate on sand paper and rotate in a figure 8 motion while holding down pressure. You will be able to see when bottom of plate is smooth and even.

Larry

Boolit Grand Master

It doesn't appear to be really serious, but I'd find the source and correct it. With continued use it will only get worse. Look for a burr on the bottom of the sprue plate.

Boolit Master

kailson - First, welcome !! You must have a burr on the bottom of the sprue plate. If it were mine, I would take it off and, on a very flat surface, give it a few passes on some very fine abrasive paper. About 600 ought to do it, until the offending burr is gone.
    Be sure to lubricate, lightly, the bottom of the sprue plate and the top of the mold before using. Also, the pins and the plate hinge screw pivot. You can look up - mold lubricating - here for any other recommendations. Good luck and let us know how it works out. Nice pic's.
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kalison View Post
    This addiction is silly. I'm starting to buy up differnt mold designs!

Anyway I just received this RCBS today. The sprue plate was very crunchy swinging open and there is a nice gouge in the top of the mold. Just wondering if this is something to be concerned about.
    I think the info in this link will resolve your problem :

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...t-Tune-Up-quot

Boolit Master
    Rcbs molds are usually a joy to use, get rid of the rough spot, use some Bullplate lube, the mold is iron so it needs preheating, then you can cast 'till you're blue in the face.

...anything to be worried about?
    Yeah, there is... that you have enough lead to keep it happy (once you get that burr buffed off).
    That 38-150 drops a lovely bullet...

mike
    I saw this in a cartoon once. I'm pretty sure I can pull it off...

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for all the suggestions and tips!

Ben, that link its wonderful! My lyman definitely needs that tune up!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Chambers View Post
    Rcbs molds are usually a joy to use, get rid of the rough spot, use some Bullplate lube, the mold is iron so it needs preheating, then you can cast 'till you're blue in the face.
    thanks! Looking forward to using it!

Quote Originally Posted by SlippShodd View Post
    Yeah, there is... that you have enough lead to keep it happy (once you get that burr buffed off).
    That 38-150 drops a lovely bullet...

mike
    LOL I only have 150 lbs to start with, have a feeling it's going to go fast. nice to know about the design and mold!

Boolit Bub
    I want to thank everyone for the suggestions and tips. I was able to remove the sprue plate instead of opening it normally to avoid more damage. Used a stone to remove and smooth out the sprue plate. Everything is nice and smooth, no more burrs!

lubed everything up and began to cast. Definitely takes longer to get up to temp.

These molds all have different personalities. My Lee likes pouring into the sprue holes, my Lyman likes the method of ladle mating to sprue plate and rotating 90 and this RCBS will not give me filled out bottoms unless I pour from my ladle about 1" above into the sprue holes.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	43.4 KB 
ID:	134302

So far so good, this mold has taken me sometime to get the feel just right.

thanks again for everyones help!

It is never going to work properly for you. I think you need to send it to me for proper disposal.

Boolit Grand Master

Yes, each mold has it's own personality and it's own needs. It is a good idea to write down what each mold needs, cause when you have 15 or 20 it becomes hard to keep track!
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

In Remembrance

RCBS 1-800-533-5000

Robert

I love my RCBS molds. My last set of new RCBS molds (45 RN 230 GR) took me almost 50 casts before they broke in well. I did not clean them I just mounted them to the handles and started casting. There are a lot of opinions about how to maintain your molds. Some ideas just make cents and some you question. Experience is the best teacher. As you read different threads you will catch on that there is a lot of people that have a lot of good experience to pass on to everyone. Taking care of your molds means you will never have to buy the same mold twice.
    It does not mean that you won't have to buy another dozen molds.
    "Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." John Wayne

Boolit Bub
    What part of Utah, Doggonekid?

Boolit Buddy
    I had the same problem with a new RCBS mold. It needed a good de-burring of the sprue plate. You should not be driving and molding..........