WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
RepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision

Thread: CZ 527 Carbine .223

CZ 527 Carbine .223

I stumbled upon one of these at the Indy 1500 gunshow on Saturday, and couldn't pass it up for the price ($475 otd.) It is "used" but except for the absence of the box and paperwork, it appears to be brand new. I had been wanting a compact .223 bolt-action for awhile, a Ruger American Ranch in particular, but I couldn't pass on this. I have no experience with CZ, but have heard nothing but good about them. I did not get a set of rings with it, but have a set on the way now. it did come with an extra magazine, which is great. I ordered a Redfield Revenge 2-7x34 for it, because I wanted something fairly small that wouldn't appear too large for the rifle. I put 20 rounds through it yesterday using the iron sights, and was impressed with how naturally it pointed, and how nice the trigger is. I can't wait to get everything set-up and sighted in!

Does anyone have experience with this rifle in this caliber? I have read some reviews and watched some videos on the 7.62x39 chambering, but there doesn't seem to be much info on the .223. I really don't have much to ask, I guess I'm just bragging more than anything

I have had them in Hornet, 223 and have one now in 222. I think you will be very happy.

There carbines are nice. I like iron sights as a backup. Mine is represented in my avatar. 24" LUX version in 222 Rem. I’ve bragged it up on this site. Probably to the point of boredom. I got it to shoot cast 22’s and it excels at that chore.
    You got a good deal on that one.
    “AMERICA WILL NEVER BE DESTROYED FROM THE OUTSIDE. IF WE FALTER AND LOSE OUR FREEDOMS, IT WILL BE BECAUSE WE DESTROYED OURSELVES.” President Abraham Lincoln

Boolit Buddy
    I have a couple of the 527 rifles and am using two different means of attaching scopes.

This setup on a 223 Varmint and Weaver LOW rings:
    https://www.diproductsinc.com/Detail...12045&CAT=3600

This setup on a 222 American:
    http://www.jamescalhoon.com/pricelist.php

They both help get the scope lower than the factory rings but the second option is lowest of the two. If your bolt handle is not of relatively recent manufacture, you will likely have to grind it, exchange it with Mr. Calhoun or order the thinner bolt handle directly from CZ, but it IS worth it.

Of the two setups, I prefer the simplicity and low height of Mr. Calhoun's rings, which are also of very nice quality. They are not cheap but by the time you buy the other base and a set of rings, it's close. One of these days, I plan on pulling the DIP base off the 223, selling the base and buying another set of Mr. Calhoun's rings.

If you want the higher factory rings, I have a set I'd let go that went onto my rifle and came right back off. I have a short neck, short arms, short fingers,..... I NEED a scope to be as low as possible myself. With the drop on your Carbine stock, I personally think the factory rings would probably be too high for about anyone.

I don't work for Mr. Calhoun - I just know it can be a chore to find the right rings/base/scope combo for the 527 and hope to save anyone else that frustration if possible.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    I have a left hand LUX in that chambering and I love it . So far I'm using a front sight that I modified a little to shoot my gallery loads . I have a medium height ring set on order and should get here soon .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff H View Post
    I have a couple of the 527 rifles and am using two different means of attaching scopes.

This setup on a 223 Varmint and Weaver LOW rings:
    https://www.diproductsinc.com/Detail...12045&CAT=3600

This setup on a 222 American:
    http://www.jamescalhoon.com/pricelist.php

They both help get the scope lower than the factory rings but the second option is lowest of the two. If your bolt handle is not of relatively recent manufacture, you will likely have to grind it, exchange it with Mr. Calhoun or order the thinner bolt handle directly from CZ, but it IS worth it.

Of the two setups, I prefer the simplicity and low height of Mr. Calhoun's rings, which are also of very nice quality. They are not cheap but by the time you buy the other base and a set of rings, it's close. One of these days, I plan on pulling the DIP base off the 223, selling the base and buying another set of Mr. Calhoun's rings.

If you want the higher factory rings, I have a set I'd let go that went onto my rifle and came right back off. I have a short neck, short arms, short fingers,..... I NEED a scope to be as low as possible myself. With the drop on your Carbine stock, I personally think the factory rings would probably be too high for about anyone.

I don't work for Mr. Calhoun - I just know it can be a chore to find the right rings/base/scope combo for the 527 and hope to save anyone else that frustration if possible.
    I have a set of Burris medium rings on their way now. If they don't work out, I will definitely consider the modification you describe there. i have a long neck, arms and fingers though....lol!

One of those single shot followers from Calhoon would be nice for target shooting. But I just choke up on the price.
    I did get an extra magazine.
    “AMERICA WILL NEVER BE DESTROYED FROM THE OUTSIDE. IF WE FALTER AND LOSE OUR FREEDOMS, IT WILL BE BECAUSE WE DESTROYED OURSELVES.” President Abraham Lincoln

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by three50seven View Post
    I have a set of Burris medium rings on their way now. If they don't work out, I will definitely consider the modification you describe there. i have a long neck, arms and fingers though....lol!
    Those are some nice-looking rings - and about half the price of mine. I believe that the height on those is still lower than the CZ factory rings but don't remember the exact dimensions.

Quote Originally Posted by GabbyM View Post
    One of those single shot followers from Calhoon would be nice for target shooting. But I just choke up on the price.
    I did get an extra magazine.
    There is another single shot adapter out there but I believe it is almost as much as the one on Calhoun's site.

I have ONE spare mag for each of mine and have had to work on all but the one (still in the package) to get them to feed smoothly. For the price (ridiculous, but I pay it), they should work.

For cast, I did have to widen the feel lips at the front to let the cartridge angle up more while still in the magazine. The bolt still forces the nose down a little but flat nosed cast bullets (RDO TL225-50) will feed. In the .222, I have to have my hand under the magazine to keep it as far up in the well as it will go but I will address that some time this summer.

That is a surprise. My 222 with either magazine feeds fine. As long as I don't short stroke it everything works smooth. The bedding on these is like a rem 700. You can have the magazine out of alignment if the rifle isn't' set in the stock properly.
    Big problem I have. Is moving from the little CZ to my M70 in 30-06. That's the one I end up short stroking. CZ-527 feels more like a 22 rim-fire than a full size bolt gun. IMHO

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by three50seven View Post
    I stumbled upon one of these at the Indy 1500 gunshow on Saturday, and couldn't pass it up for the price ($475 otd.) It is "used" but except for the absence of the box and paperwork, it appears to be brand new. I had been wanting a compact .223 bolt-action for awhile, a Ruger American Ranch in particular, but I couldn't pass on this. I have no experience with CZ, but have heard nothing but good about them. I did not get a set of rings with it, but have a set on the way now. it did come with an extra magazine, which is great. I ordered a Redfield Revenge 2-7x34 for it, because I wanted something fairly small that wouldn't appear too large for the rifle. I put 20 rounds through it yesterday using the iron sights, and was impressed with how naturally it pointed, and how nice the trigger is. I can't wait to get everything set-up and sighted in!

Does anyone have experience with this rifle in this caliber? I have read some reviews and watched some videos on the 7.62x39 chambering, but there doesn't seem to be much info on the .223. I really don't have much to ask, I guess I'm just bragging more than anything
    Well you should brag. They are nice rifles.
    Bill

MUCH better buy than the Ruger.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by GabbyM View Post
    That is a surprise. My 222 with either magazine feeds fine..................... IMHO
    Mostly, the burrs on the underside of the feed lips were like saw teeth. The one that came with the .223 and the spare which I acquired from a different source, and the one that came with my .222 were like that. I have not opened the package of the spare for the .222 yet.

It would make me happy to find out that my magazines were exceptions to the rule. It's not difficult to correct the problem - just irksome that you would have to when they cost close to $40 by the time you have one shipped. They were completely unservicable without the work. There is consolation in the fact that they should last a long, long time. They really are exquisite little rifles.

It would be a bad day for my budget if I were to come across a 527 Carbine in 7.62x39 at some irresistible price.

OK so either you got unlucky or I got lucky. I rarely get lucky.

Boolit Master
    My LH Lux 223 is a tack driver with just about any jword; really shines with sierra 53gn matchking HP.

Boolit Buddy
    get a Meopta scope to round it off.
    stay frosty

Boolit Master
    I have a CZ 527 Varmint model in 204 Ruger. Was my first ever CZ rifle, won't be my last.

To say that it's spooky accurate is an understatement, that rifle just wants to hit the target. Getting one in 223, for that price, you done good, now go enjoy shooting it!

Quick note, if you decide to adjust the single set trigger, you must follow the procedure as outlined by CZ. Otherwise the trigger will suck. That's how I got mine... someone else bought it, diddled with the trigger, got mad and returned it. Took me about two hours to reset everything, but then, I'm slow and cautious, but today it has one heckuva trigger.

Boolit Mold
    I have a CZ 527 with a Kevlar stock. This rifle with 52gr. Bullets and IMR 4064 will shoot 1/4-3/8 groups@100yards. This is the second one I have owned and it shot as well.
    enjoy your new find

I have one in the ebony edition beautiful Turkish walnut stock and a spiral fluted barrel, and a single stage set trigger ,lovely to look at, fantastic to hold but in my 40+ yrs of reloading this was the absolute worst SOB to find a bullet powder combo that worked as good as the rifle looked.