Titan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's not glamorous, but it works!

It's not glamorous, but it works!

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    Your brass would become cleaner if you decap your cases first. If not you end up with a very wet primer pocket when you go to load as the old primer holds moisture plus your primer pockets remain dirty. Later David
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

I did a large 2nd batch of nothing but deprimed 223s yesterday. They all appeared to dry out just fine

Boolit Grand Master

Yep, that'll work. I tried wet tumbling but had no SS pins so I used small stainless steel nuts, screws, washers and cotter pins (#6, #8, and #10). I got a good finish but didn't like the hassle (mix up liquid, tumble, drain, rinse, drain, dry). I didn't see an improvement over walnut or cob media (if the feller needs 8 hrs. to clean brass in his walnut/cob media, sum ding wong!) and wet cleaned, bare metal, brass will tarnish much quicker than my dry media with a touch of wax/polish that leaves a thin film of protection on the brass...

Lots of folks really like wet tumbling w/SS pins but I'm fine without it, and my brass is clean enough (my Garand and 1911 brass gets a good polish so I can find them after being ejected hither and yon, and it does not take 8 hrs.!).
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Interesting video - makes a guy want to keep his eyes open for a used ice cream maker! Thank goodness they have motor driven ones . . . the ones I used when I was a kid were hand crank! Great idea - thanks for posting!

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    Yep, that'll work. I tried wet tumbling but had no SS pins so I used small stainless steel nuts, screws, washers and cotter pins (#6, #8, and #10). I got a good finish but didn't like the hassle (mix up liquid, tumble, drain, rinse, drain, dry). I didn't see an improvement over walnut or cob media (if the feller needs 8 hrs. to clean brass in his walnut/cob media, sum ding wong!) and wet cleaned, bare metal, brass will tarnish much quicker than my dry media with a touch of wax/polish that leaves a thin film of protection on the brass...

Lots of folks really like wet tumbling w/SS pins but I'm fine without it, and my brass is clean enough (my Garand and 1911 brass gets a good polish so I can find them after being ejected hither and yon, and it does not take 8 hrs.!).
    It is a little bit of hassle, but so is media dust and the occasional media that gets stuck inside of the cases. I never said I HAD to dry tumble for 8hrs. Just compared that 8hrs of dry would not look like that. I have dry tumbled 8hrs just to see

Boolit Master
    As soon as I heard he had .223's and .45 acp's, I said to myself that was not a good combination. Sure enough, as soon as he dumped the brass out, I could see a few .223's inside .45 acp's, so some probably didn't get cleaned properly.

It's not glamorous, but it works!

Quote Originally Posted by CastingFool View Post
    As soon as I heard he had .223's and .45 acp's, I said to myself that was not a good combination. Sure enough, as soon as he dumped the brass out, I could see a few .223's inside .45 acp's, so some probably didn't get cleaned properly.
    It was just for a trial run. Boy, y'all will nit pick something to death! Lol

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by CastingFool View Post
    Like minds think alike! I was thinking the same thing when he said it was a mixed brass run. A .45 acp seems to love getting other brass stuck in it. I like the idea of the cleaner though, have to watch yard sales this Spring for such a gizmo.Robert

If I would've run 45s only, then someone would've said "yeah, but how does it do on 223s" lol

Boolit Master

Learned something today--thanks
    I use the SS pins but that's mostly so I can have more stuff to lose or require more effort. And I have the time.
    Glad it works so well without all the bells and chimes
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

Spent primers work good on to clean the brass if you do not have the SS pins, But two draw backs to that some will reset themselves back into the primer pockets and if your doing 223 they hang up in the brass. For brass with larger openings like 38 45s and 30 cals its not to bad.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Boolit Master
    If not you end up with a very wet primer pocket when you go to load as the old primer holds moisture
    I have been wet cleaning my capped brass for a long time, and this isn't a problem for me at all. I will bake the (still capped) cases if I want to use them right away, but 95% of my wet cleaned brass is tumbled in corn cob to dry, and then further air-dried for as little as overnight, and I have not run into any issues, yet. I'm in a dry climate, so YMMV. I don't clean primer pockets, either. I decap/reprime my pistol ammo in the same operation.
    Last edited by gloob; 03-16-2015 at 08:53 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by .429 View Post
    It was just for a trial run. Boy, y'all will nit pick something to death! Lol
    Not nit picking, just close observation.

Larry

Boolit Grand Master

I think an important part of the trial run is the feller tumbling the brass didn't use pins. He showed that brass only, in a solution will polish up nice...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

OP what media were you using that you needed to tumble for 8 hours! I've never tumbled for more than 2 hours to get clean, shiny brass.

Quote Originally Posted by dudel View Post
    OP what media were you using that you needed to tumble for 8 hours! I've never tumbled for more than 2 hours to get clean, shiny brass.
    Grass clippings, fresh grass clippings

Boolit Bub
    Careful .429, some folks on here dont have much of a sense of humor, and there will be 3 pages of why you shouldn't tumble with grass clippings.....

Lol. Note taken

One time I see these guys that were coming into a boat dock and they had a nice stringer of trout. I asked what they were using for bait. One snickered and said "bubble gum". Some similar things here.
    Once more into the fray. Into the last good fight I'll ever know. Live or die on this day. Live or die on this day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast