RepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee Precision
WidenersTitan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Turret press recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by ohland View Post
    Curious about a turret press, non-auto index. I decap with a rod and base, clean out pockets, prime with a hand held tool, and throw charges.

For a straight wall pistol case (41 Rem mag), Deprime all cases, resize all cases (on press), prime all cases. Then as each case is charged, Expand, and seat. That way the possibility of missing or doubling a charge in a block of 50 cases is significantly lowered, if not reduced.

Having a changeable turret would be nice because I can set up all three dies for a cartridge, then leave it alone.

PS. Redding T-7 is a bit rich, unless you want to donate one...
    I reload on a Lee Classic 4 hole turret. It is the flatter one made of iron and NOT the aluminum one. Auto indexing can be removed by removing the rod, it is as simple as life the turret off, lift out the rod, put the turret back on... Since it is a small turret Lee has the containers for about $4 each on FSRELOADING.COM and you can buy spare turrets for around $10 each. The containers you can buy can hold the turret, a dipper and a shell holder. Since I rarely use the 4th hole they fit in the cases rather easily.
    My vote is for the Lee Classic Turret. It just rocks and with the auto indexer in it is probably the fastest turret you can buy for the money. That plus the super low price in comparison to other turrets makes it an excellent value.

Boolit Grand Master

The snap in turrets of the lees are a plus. As is one caliber turrets. I had a lee pro 1000 that got used alot as a standard turret and worked good. I have used lymans turret once and while it works one issue I saw with presses with inside mounted turret ( bolt thru the middle of the turret outside unsupported) is the spring that can happen doing certain operations. The lees outside baynet style turrets help control this. Another issue is size wieght what space is available on your bench, and do you want to take it to range to use? Another is feel, go to some shops and see the diffrent presses if posible and run them thru a few strokes, look them over carefully and use this to help you decide. Like alot of things feel and cosmetics mean alot to some.

There is another point which some know about,,, but most will be able to understand.

It is called "Tactile Gratification." It is the enjoyment that one gets from using a tool or more properly the feel one gets while using that tool.

Some tools just feel better in your hands than others do. This applies to guns as well, and some actually feel better in your hands than others do. You probably will shoot them better as well.

Many people will PooPoo this idea however it will become obvious to all but complete brain dead's after using the machine from any length of time. Some machines just don't wear you out as much as others do and some feel better than others do over the course of a long run.

Part of this can be defined as "Ergonomics," or how well the machine is laid out for continuous usage. Or how well the machine fits you. This is most obvious in cars. Some just feel better than others do.

For me as a Machinist having spent many hours in front of turret lathes this issue comes to the fore front quickly and if the feel isn't there I get sick of it quickly and wander off to do something else. IE: I can't stay focused because I am focusing on the machines bad feel as opposed to focusing on making parts.

I hate suffering at work. Suffering thru my hobbies is not gonna happen!

Some times I buy a tool and start to use it and find out that it sucks outright. This tool is generally sent back, passed along to someone else, or put in a cabinet and stored to be sold when I cash out my shop.

Sometimes you buy a tool because it is less expensive than the one you really wanted. I have done this many times !!!!! It may work OK and do the job but then you get an opportunity to use the one you actually wanted and find out what you've been missing.

I started in a machine shop using junk tools which I was forced to learn on. Then I got ran off and went to work at a place that had nice stuff and found out that I was a lot better machinist than I had been while using junk. It was refreshing to use machines that did what they were told as opposed to the junk that screwed you 50% of the time.

When I started my own shop I bought the good stuff used,,, as in that case,,, Second Hand was better than Second Rate! It still is!

After nearly 30 years my machines are still producing perfect parts,,

(well most of the time )

My dad always said "buy the best,,, only cry once!" and I swear it is one of the truest statements ever made.

My dad sold used airplanes for a living. Some of them are better than others, and he wouldn't have anything to do with the ones that weren't.

My .02 on this subject,,, but since I have vast knowledge on this particular subject,,, this .02 is actually worth more like $52.25!

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

I just bought a Redding t-7 and I'm not sorry , loving it . I got the priming set up to go with it. To say it doesn't have anything over a Lee is horse hockey. Kind of like saying a Jag has nothing over a VW.
    Once more into the fray. Into the last good fight I'll ever know. Live or die on this day. Live or die on this day.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    There is another point which some know about,,, but most will be able to understand.

It is called "Tactile Gratification." It is the enjoyment that one gets from using a tool or more properly the feel one gets while using that tool.

Some tools just feel better in your hands than others do. This applies to guns as well, and some actually feel better in your hands than others do. You probably will shoot them better as well.

Many people will PooPoo this idea however it will become obvious to all but complete brain dead's after using the machine from any length of time. Some machines just don't wear you out as much as others do and some feel better than others do over the course of a long run.

Part of this can be defined as "Ergonomics," or how well the machine is laid out for continuous usage. Or how well the machine fits you. This is most obvious in cars. Some just feel better than others do.

For me as a Machinist having spent many hours in front of turret lathes this issue comes to the fore front quickly and if the feel isn't there I get sick of it quickly and wander off to do something else. IE: I can't stay focused because I am focusing on the machines bad feel as opposed to focusing on making parts.

Some times I buy a tool and start to use it and find out that it sucks outright. This tool is generally sent back, passed along to someone else, or put in a cabinet and stored to be sold when I cash out my shop.

Sometimes you buy a tool because it is less expensive than the one you really wanted. I have done this many times !!!!! It may work OK and do the job but then you get an opportunity to use the one you actually wanted and find out what you've been missing.

I started in a machine shop using junk tools which I was forced to learn on. Then I got ran off and went to work at a place that had nice stuff and found out that I was a lot better machinist than I had been while using junk. It was refreshing to use machines that did what they were told as opposed to the junk that screwed you 50% of the time.

When I started my own shop I bought the good stuff used,,, as in that case,,, Second Hand was better than Second Rate! It still is!

(well most of the time )

My dad always said "buy the best,,, only cry once!" and I swear it is one of the truest statements ever made.

My dad sold used airplanes for a living. Some of them are better than others, and he wouldn't have anything to do with the ones that weren't.

My .02 on this subject,,, but since I have vast knowledge on this particular subject,,, this .02 is actually worth more like $52.25!

Randy
    This post I really agree with. I really enjoy the feel of well made tools. I have an 18 volt Festool drill that is a real joy to use. The electronic trigger is sensitive, responsive and easy to control. The same for my original K&M deluxe priming tool with gauge. I bought this quite a few years before Ken retired. The list goes on. I have stuff from members on this forum that are a joy to use! I can say my old Champion press is such a joy to use. Very ergonomic.

Take care

r1kk1

Boolit Man
    also love the lee turret press for all the reasons already mentioned. only bad thing about it is the fact is the auto index is ran by a plastic square washer? for lack of the correct word. ive replaced one in 2 years. not a big problem unless you cant get them at some point for whatever reason. I know you said you wont use the index but its good to know anyway.

Boolit Master

I like the Classic Turret and The Redding T7. I have a T7, but no where to mount it in my small apartment. Hope this year is the year I get a house! Anyways I would offer another option, a Classic single stage press with Hornady's Lock'N'Load bushing in it. I like it better that LEE's quick change, and the Hornady's extra bushings are cheaper. Its like $10 for the replacement bushing in the press and about $4 each for the ones that go on the dies. It makes batch loading easier and I think they are more secure than LEE's. The Classic Turret is good too, but a bit more play in the head than the Redding.

Jerry
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Boolit Master

Turret press recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post

(well most of the time )

Randy
    Great explanation Randy of why we Tool Guys are true "Tool Guys"!

which means-

we don't settle for the inferior ( whether it's the feel or the quality) which some people just can't seem to grasp.

TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Quote Originally Posted by LUBEDUDE View Post
    Great explanation Randy of why we Tool Guys are true "Tool Guys"!

which means-

we don't settle for the inferior ( whether it's the feel or the quality) which some people just can't seem to grasp.

Now that's a nice press!!!
    Once more into the fray. Into the last good fight I'll ever know. Live or die on this day. Live or die on this day.

Boolit Mold
    The Redding T-7 is worth every penny. Plenty of force for large cases, zero wiggle room, weights 30 lbs, lifetime warranty, best customer service. If I could keep only one press this would be it.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Img_3408.jpg  

Why not rank them in order from sucks swamp water to almost operates itself, then decide which you want to afford. I agree with LubeDude...buy the best you can afford. Over time, the cheapest is seldom the least expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Stilly View Post
    I reload on a Lee Classic 4 hole turret. It is the flatter one made of iron and NOT the aluminum one. Auto indexing can be removed by removing the rod, it is as simple as life the turret off, lift out the rod, put the turret back on... Since it is a small turret Lee has the containers for about $4 each on FSRELOADING.COM and you can buy spare turrets for around $10 each. The containers you can buy can hold the turret, a dipper and a shell holder. Since I rarely use the 4th hole they fit in the cases rather easily.
    My vote is for the Lee Classic Turret. It just rocks and with the auto indexer in it is probably the fastest turret you can buy for the money. That plus the super low price in comparison to other turrets makes it an excellent value.
    I recently transitioned from a RCBS Rockchucker to a Lee CTP, and I agree it is a good machine. I really had no choice of which to choose, as I cannot work, and I have to sell whatever I can to buy anything (self-supporting shooting hobby - lead I mine, stuff I no longer use, so high-end stuff is way out of reach for me). I am amazed at the disc powder measure, as I initially tested it with many different testing methods, and it actually is more consistent with my 2.7grs. of BE than my RCBS Uniflow is. I was VERY skeptical when I took it out of the box and saw it the first time. Ouch! However, it really works well.

One observation about the Lee plastic stuff: I can see "careful" is going to have to be the watchword. I don't know if it is a problem, but I'll let you know in a couple of years. Until then, I'm going to try to wear it out!
    Last edited by 40-82 hiker; 03-28-2015 at 12:36 PM.

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range
    my buddy bought a t-7 redding it is great (but pricey) I'm thinking about buying one but I have 13 press's around here now, press's seem to follow me home a lot

Quote Originally Posted by 257 View Post
    my buddy bought a t-7 redding it is great (but pricey) I'm thinking about buying one but I have 13 press's around here now, press's seem to follow me home a lot
    Firearms, presses and reloading supplies are like horsepower: Too much is barely enough.

Boolit Buddy
    Having had a Lee as most every beginner I gave it away and have had the RCBS for years now. I use the old Lee classic only to prime with anymore.

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar
    Claiming the Lee Classic Cast version of anything is inferior is showing ignorance of the actual product. The Lee is actually better than some of the products mentioned. Lots of iron and steel doesn't mean good design in every instance.

Boolit Grand Master

There is no downside to the plastic ratchet in the LCT. It's the weak point for a reason. Would you rather have to replace a couple cent piece of plastic or break one of the more expensive parts? This was pointed out to me when I started a thread about the ratchet. And it makes complete sense.

I've worn out one ratchet so far. And it's from short stroking the press. I know it's bad but continue to do it, oh well

Banned

^^^ This is exactly right. Like a pin in PTO equipment, it is designed to break before something real bad happens. It is a good thing, it works well, is cheap insurance, and cheap to replace.
    Last edited by jmort; 03-30-2015 at 06:10 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveInFloweryBranchGA View Post
    Lots of iron and steel doesn't mean good design in every instance.
    Lots of steel or iron doesn't make it a bad thing either. Your statement and mine are opinions. Neither of us work for any of the reloading companies. I remember an ad Richard put out in the 80s where he turned down the posts on his aluminum turret (pre CC series). He was trying to demonstrate how much force was needed to full length size a rifle case. Remember this? Funny, the CC series emerged a decade and half later. Do you remember the thread on the Lee Reloader C press where the base failed sizing 30-30 cases if memory serves me? A lot of people chimed in to say you need more press but yet in his book, page 19, he says the press will handle the largest magnum cases, full length sized with ease! I've been doing some homework on Hollywood presses. The only turret press I have is a P/W P-200. One of the members here by the name MD can drill and tap a blank head to accept LNL bushings. Currently I've been emailing Hornady to release one. Mine is not the only email according to Hornady. Before Cast Performance Engineering? closed in Payson his shop contained two T-7s. Each head contained a compliment of dies for case forming Reeder's Wildcats. Untold thousands of 405 Winchester cases were done on these. Personal Armanent did an interview with Redding. Very interesting podcast on how they view presses and the assembly. I like the idea of using Forster lockrings on every die. T-7 allows this while I'm not sure about the RCBS and Lyman versions do. Lee is too tight. As far as the plastic nut is concerned, RCBS has been using this since the piggyback came out.

I'm sure the CC turret is a fine press. The original aluminum one went back to Lee within 30 days that I bought back in the 80s.

Back to the statement you made, I like presses. I adore your 2000. Heavy, versatile as my 550. My buddy has one and it operates flawlessly. Not to go off track but I wonder if they can modify the plates to work with the ProChucker 5. If they do, guess what I'm buying!

take care

r1kk1

Weight and size matter less than engineering, design and manufacturing process. Unless one wants to use it for a boat anchor in soft bottom. Not to say spending massive $$$ can't buy any upgrade, it does but not always in proportion to the increased cost. And some of that upgrade can show up in look and "feel". But for my money if a tool works, works well, provides versatility and at a good cost it sounds like a winner. If you can afford the "best" more power to you but a whole lot of folks get the job done and done right with a Ford or Chevy pickup rather than a Range Rover.

I like the Lee Classic Turret, is it the best press money can buy? Nope. Does it have good performance, some nice features at an exceptional value? You bet. The Classic Cast O press is also on my list for the simple reason it is as powerful of press as I'm likely to need with some nice features (primer disposal & adjustable handle & removable die bushing) at a price that make it a really good value.

I can't say if the LCT has the best "feel" but it feels pretty good using it. Nothing awkward or "bad" about the feel using it. I have had tools that were, just awkward or sloppy to use. Lot of difference between good price & good value and cheap junk. And cost don't insure value. Recall the Cadillac 4-6-8 engines? Or had to take the entire rear axle apart on a Jaguar to change brake pads? High priced cars that were only of value for status and as a place to dump money (your mechanics kid needs braces and you are going to help... a lot)

Last but not least buy the functionality your skills warrant. Buying a sloppy Bridgeport or lathe is silly but so is buying a $1000 reloading "system" as a newbie loading a few plinking rounds. LCT gives you some room to grow, with enough quality that it is no handicap to producing good ammo. Maybe someday you will be modifying brass or cranking out 100's of rounds a week and will need a more powerful or more production oriented press.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast