Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2
WidenersSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Turret press recommendations?

Question Turret press recommendations?

Curious about a turret press, non-auto index. I decap with a rod and base, clean out pockets, prime with a hand held tool, and throw charges.

For a straight wall pistol case (41 Rem mag), Deprime all cases, resize all cases (on press), prime all cases. Then as each case is charged, Expand, and seat. That way the possibility of missing or doubling a charge in a block of 50 cases is significantly lowered, if not reduced.

Having a changeable turret would be nice because I can set up all three dies for a cartridge, then leave it alone.

PS. Redding T-7 is a bit rich, unless you want to donate one...
    Belle, Belle, Belle!
    Purty Gu-ur-url!

Boolit Master
    Lee Classic Turret. You can take out the index rod if you like. You can put it back in if you find that to your liking at a future date.
    I use "fluffy" powders that fill the case. I see every charge in the case. It is impossible to overcharge and highly unlikely that I will ever under charge a case.

Boolit Master
    Well Lyman and RCBS are both about $200.00 with the T-7 being about $300.00 and Lee's Classic Cast being around $100.00? Of all of these the Lee is the most cost effective and can be used without the auto-index.

You may want to look around for an old Lyman Spartan?
    My hero's have always been Cowboys!

Lee classic is the best bang for your buck

I also suggest the Lee Classic Turret for much the same reasons. Replacing the turret with another that already has your dies adjusted for a different caliber only takes seconds.
    You can remove the index rod in a couple of seconds and use it as a single stage or use the index capability as you wish. The turrets are relatively inexpensive and easy to find.
    I have loaded several thousand rounds of pistol ammunition on mine with no problems at all. I use the Lee pro autodisk powder dispenser with the auto index, and with this setup, I can regularly load 150 rounds and hour.
    I have used mine for 38 special, 357 mag, 9mm, and 40S&W. Changing calibers takes less time with the pre-setup turrets than it takes to unscrew one die and screw another in on a single stage press.

Boolit Grand Master
    I wouldn't consider anything else but the Lee Classic Turret.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...c-Turret-Press

Ben

Boolit Mold
    On the Lee Classic the spent primer catcher and adjustable handle are a bonus also.

Boolit Master

Love my Lee classic. With auto index it knocks out pistol ammo quick, pull the index rod ( 2 seconds tops ) and use it as a turrent station press for precision loads.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Boolit Master
    I have a dillon 550, very simple, easy to setup, very well made. And user friendly.

I have the non-Classic 4-hole Lee turret and am very happy with it. The extra turrets are inexpensive, so I keep a spare one for the Universal decapper and re-sizer. I recently got hold of a Pro-1000 (which took a bit of work to bring it up to scratch) and while it can turn out loaded rounds quicker it's a lot fussier to use!

The turret press is reliable and pretty idiot-proof.

Boolit Master
    Save for a couple of extra weeks and get the Redding, quality top to bottom, another top notch press with quicker die changeouts is the Forster CO-AX, like anything else, you get what you pay for.

Lee Classic Turret Press. I recently make the change to the CTP from an RCBS rockchucker I purchased in the late 70s. I am VERY pleased with the CTP.

Boolit Grand Master

I have both the classic and an older 3 station Lee turret presses. Also had an old Lyman Spartan. If I had to have just one press it would be the Lee classic press. I do not like the new primer system that Lee has so I still place one primer at a time in the press.
    I also have about 5 turrets setup with the Lee push thru dies for sizing my Hi-Tek coated boolits.

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar
    Lee Classic Cast, even the Redding doesn't offer anything over it, except a bigger price tag.

Boolit Buddy
    After owning a lyman t mag 2 I say skip it.

The lee classic 4 holer is hard to beat.

How about a dillon bl550(259$). It's even cheaper than the redding t7 and as money comes available you can add the powder and primer system and upgrade it to a progressive press as money allows. Saves money in the long run if you may ever go down that path.

Lee Turret would be my recommendation but Firebrick43 has a very good point if you ever plan on going down that path.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

I'm with Firebrick43 on this one. the Dillon BL550 is a high quality press that indexes the cartridge from station to station rather than the tools.

It has the added advantage of being upgradable to full 550B status as your needs grow.

Any of these machines will do what you want however the resale value on Dillon Machines is generally higher than other brands. They also have a superior warrantee, called no BS,,, Which is actually no BS. You send it, they fix it or rebuild it for free.

This may be a situation you might look at spending a little more and getting a lot more.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Banned

The Lee Classic Turret costs $100 and you can sell it for at least $80 if it is in decent shape, if you don't like it. You move the cartridge from station to station by hand with the 550 by turning the shell plate with you fingers. For sure it is a great press and Dillon is a great company. I have toyed with the idea of a BL550 for some time and for $260 it is a great value. Turrets for the Lee are $10 and caliber conversions for the 550 are $45. Big differences all around.

Boolit Master

I like the Redding T-7 but agree that they have really went up in price. FB

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast