RepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad DataLee Precision
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2

Thread: Thought about a 000 buckshot mold but

Thought about a 000 buckshot mold but

I pulled out the 2 cavity Lee .360 mold . I had heard so much bad about Lee molds I thought I would give this one another work out . My gold was to fill 3 coffee containers while I shot 800 balls a week through my Korean rifles . I almost had the 3rd one filled a couple of times . But it did not happen until today . By the way the mold is still doing its job. Time to test another Lee mold now .Marvin

Boolit Man

Previously known as the Constitution state
    I never had a problem with Lee molds, as long as you don't abuse them, all my molds are Lees.
    I like the fact that they heat to temp faster.

Boolit Master

That makes an old shotgunner drool....

Quote Originally Posted by CT-shooter777 View Post
    I never had a problem with Lee molds, as long as you don't abuse them, all my molds are Lees.
    I like the fact that they heat to temp faster.
    I have had no more problems with Lee than any other brand . I sold all my Accurate, Lyman, Ideal, RCBS , molds . And have more than 20 Lees and two 25 caliber LBT molds with another 25 caliber LBT on the way . I no longer loosen the left handed plate screw and have no smears ,base problems or thread problems . By the way LBT cutters do not fall open by their self either . I guess Veral does not know how to make molds either .Marvin

Quote Originally Posted by Boolseye View Post
    Wow, those are beauts! I have the 6 cav version, I end up shooting them in .38 spl. cases.
    Problem with the six cav is the threads between, and fill out is tough with all those little channels.
    That 2-cav looks like the way to go.
    My thought was that by the time I sat down and sniped all those balls apart I could have casted about as many . And I already had the 2 cavity so I went with it .Marvin

Boolit Grand Master
    I have never had a problem with a Lee double cavity mold that I bought new, although I haven't tried any of the new style ones. Used ones on the other hand, I have had alignment issues due to the no doubt ham handed original owner abusing it.

Robert

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I have MANY 2 & 6 banger Lee molds. NEVER a problem with any of them. They have cast many thousands fo boolits, saving me a ton of money! And are lots of fun. I have other brands in harder metals, at MUCH higher prices, and cannot see any difference in the cast quality. Other brands offer unique designs LEE does not make and will always have a place in my needs.

banger-j

Boolit Master

I just got a new .600 Lee DC RB mold for tri-ball loads last week, new hulls will be here Wednesday. I also have the 18 cavity 00 and the 1oz Lee slug modified to TC instead of the RNFP it has by default.

Boolit Man

Previously known as the Constitution state
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonie View Post
    I just got a new .600 Lee DC RB mold for tri-ball loads last week
    Got a lot of Dinosaurs running around in N.C. , Do Yeah.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by CT-shooter777 View Post
    Got a lot of Dinosaurs running around in N.C. , Do Yeah.
    You wouldn't believe the size of our mosquito's...

Well the 15 year old daughter is rather fond of the Sharknado movies... Well, truth be told, about any shark movie, and dinosaur movies. I was a boy scout for a brief time, gotta be prepared

Boolit Master
    I don't snip the sprues from lead balls. I twist them off. I also use them in pistol calibers. Nice short range plinking/small game load. Quick to cast and economical of lead.

Quote Originally Posted by BAGTIC View Post
    I don't snip the sprues from lead balls. I twist them off. I also use them in pistol calibers. Nice short range plinking/small game load. Quick to cast and economical of lead.
    You are the first one I have heard that twist them off thanks for the info . These are the only ammo that I have found that is lighter than the Lee 105 swc that is accurate in my rifles . And the Lee is my choice if there is more than a 5 mile a hour wind . But they sure do keep the lead usage down .Marvin

Boolit Master

1720 miles East of Wall Drug, North of Cooperstown, NY
    I use a couple of the gang molds to cast different sized BS, I don't snip or twist. I run a hot alloy and a very hot mold, I cut sprue as soon as frosted, then drop balls, they usually come apart then, if not, I roll them on the folded towel I dropped then on, with the stick I slide sprue pate open with that frees them apart. cast hot and fast, use lots of Bullplate to lube the mold and run hot and fast.

Ken
    Last edited by Screwbolts; 04-01-2015 at 06:48 AM.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Je suis Charlie
    Remember Lavoy!
    I'll cling to my God and my guns, and you can keep the "Change".

Boolit Master
    Any hollows? My LEE .54 ball mold is terrible at giving me hollow balls. I'm cast hot/warm/pure/alloy etc. Shelved it for now but I need to get it working

Quote Originally Posted by Screwbolts View Post
    I use a couple of the gang molds to cast different sized BS, I don't snip or twist. I run a hot alloy and a very hot mold, I cut sprue as soon as frosted, then drop balls, they usually come apart then, if not, I roll them on the folded town I dropped then on, with the stick I slide sprue pate open with that frees them apart. cast hot and fast, use lots of Bullplate to lube the mold and run hot and fast.

Ken
    thanks for the info . If I ever ware this one out I will consider a gang mold .Marvin

Quote Originally Posted by NVScouter View Post
    Any hollows? My LEE .54 ball mold is terrible at giving me hollow balls. I'm cast hot/warm/pure/alloy etc. Shelved it for now but I need to get it working
    The largest I have is a .457 2 cavity and I have had no problems .Marvin

In Remembrance

Hollow balls sounds as if you need to vent the mould. I prefer to cast balls with the Lee over the Lymans I have due to the tangenital cutting of the sprue. It doesn't leave a nub.

Boolit Buddy
    Melloairman: First, I really dig the snap! Nice shot! gets the point across and is artistic!

I have some Lee 00 and 000 molds. they work fine. I have some Sharpshooter molds as well, for the 1 and 4 buckshot.
    The Lee's are easier to use, the handles on the Sharpies get warm and they can be a little tuff to manipulate when casting. After all the contortions, you still have to snip the balls off, a slow, tedious process.

I like the Lees, however, I will not sell the Sharpies anytime soon.
    bill boy just my 0.02.
    PS try the 105 SWC in your snubbies, real nice!