MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad DataLee Precision
RotoMetals2WidenersTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky

Thread: Lee 309-113 soup can/ 30-30 Contender

Lee 309-113 soup can/ 30-30 Contender

Got this mold a while back. Boolits are dropping out of the mold around .3095" and sized to .309" fitted with Gator checks and lubed with BAC.

Loaded in neck sized, neck turned 30-30 brass over 22gr of SR4759 is the test load. Last time out I tried 20gr but was still getting vertical stringing at 25yards. Velocity was 1750fps avg.

I want to get around 1900-2000 with 22gr. 10" factory barrel with a Swift 4X scope.

After I get out to test, I'll post the results. The 20gr load was dismal at around 2.75" five shot groups at 25yards.

I might also try slower powders but would like to get the SR4759 to shoot because I have 16 pounds of it.

Waco
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

This is the 20gr load at 25 yards.
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.

Thanks for posting this. I sold a 30-30 Contender some years back and, of course, regret it now. Trying to find another one to take it's place. The plan is to add a 14" 223 Rem barrel as well.

I'd be interested in seeing your progression with the 30-30 and this boolit you're working with.

Boolit Master
    I shoot rifle loads in my 10" BFR 30-30 and get those velocities easily from the handgun even with the cylinder to barrel Gap. I have had great success with Leverrevolution. that was with 170-190 grain cast velocities of 1800+

I've been wanting to remedy my Contender-less situation and picked up a Super 14 this morning. Can't wait to get shooting again.

I still need to get out and test the other loads. I have some of the same boolits loaded with H4895 as well.

I bought 500 125 grain round nose flat base boolits online that are powder-coated this zombie green color. I'm trying to use up some AA4350 and loaded some up with 34 grains and the zombie boolits.

I didn't shoot for groups today, just ran them over the chrony. They averaged 1438 fps with ES of 104fps, and a bunch of unburned powder kernels.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by waco View Post
    I still need to get out and test the other loads. I have some of the same boolits loaded with H4895 as well.
    Any updates on these and what was yor load info?

Sorry. No updates on that load. I had taken them all out to the desert and shot them at a 10 inch plate at 100 yards. They were hitting the plate but I didn't do any real benchrest work with the load. I need to get more loaded up and go out to the range. If and when I get around to doing this I'll make sure to post the results here.