WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
RepackboxReloading EverythingLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just obtained Shotmaster shotmaker

Just obtained Shotmaster shotmaker

This is the green color shotmaker that only has 2 spouts. He could not find the directions but the previous owner stated diesel fuel was the specified coolant. I am going to try Sierra Antifreeze when I get some tomorrow. My first attempt just made globs. The shot was turning into a stream on the lip of the shotmaker. I did use the supplied chalk prior to melting but it still streamed into the can. I am still happy I found one of these for a great price. Anyone else have one of these and is using it with luck? thanks ahead of time Mike

Boolit Master

got pictures?

Boolit Buddy

Talking

use soapstone on the lip,works great

OK, where do I get soapstone?

I tried the chalk that came with the unit. Maybe its not original. Here, this is the first time I uploaded a attachment here; sure is easy if it works. You can see my first blob of product. I have been told to fill one can with coolant, let it over flow into the tray and then swap cans to keep the process going. I'll report back on my results later. Is soapstone sold by a brand name? Available in hardware stores? thanks Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MVC-002S.JPG  

Getting closer!

I have enough chalk and am getting pellets! The stream problem is solved! They are flatten though. I am using straight prestone and will go with sierra which I believe is already diluted. I may have to resort to deisel fuel if this doesn't work. But I would rather wash the pellets with water. I suppose water will clean deisel fuel also. I have the temp. on max until they are melted, then should I go with a middle setting? thanks Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MVC-003S.JPG  

In Remembrance
    Jackson County, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory
    Soapstone is the stuff welders use to mark cutting lines on metal, comes in flat sticks and round sticks. aka welders chalk.

What is the distance from the lip to the coolant when you are making shot? Should be in the 1/4" range.
    Those who fail to study history are doomed to repeat it.

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity”. Sigmund
    Freud

I believe you hit the nail on the head

I only had 1/2 can of coolant. So it appears it was dropping too far. It is a miserable snow storm here in So. Indiana right now but I should be able to get some Sierra coolant this evening. I'll report back.

Boolit Master

smkummer,

Thanks for the photos. I think you ahve hit it right on with the drop distance. What does the heating element look like in shot maker? The base looks like it is pretty small.

Boolit Master

My opinion, if it matters, I would soapstone it and use a deeper catch tray/pan. I believe it is too shallow and that is why you are getting flat shot.

Boolit Master

If it were me I would use one of the green cans with the handle to catch the shot in the coolant. Then use the shallow pan to drain and rinse in. I had just assumed that is what was being done. you only have to catch two drippers. You want about a 1/4 inch to 3/8 gap in my experience.

Yes, I am using the green cans.

I just sifted out the shot from the green cans. My plan this evening is to have the green can full of coolant. That will place the coolant about 1/2 in. from the lip of the unit. The coolant will overflow into the flat pan with a spout on it. This will then collect in a plastic jug. When the first can gets maybe 1/2 to 2/3 full I will swap with the other can and keep going. I have not look at the heating element but it heats up fast. I am guessing the melting pot holds about 6 lbs. of lead. Almost enough for a 100 clays at the 16 yards line using a 1 oz. load. I get more pics. later. Guys, I have been looking for one of these for over a year. I found this one from a older fellow that simply does not go on-line. My advice would be to go to your local trap range and post a WTB add looking for one of these. Lots of older people that do not use computers.
    Last edited by smkummer; 03-07-2008 at 05:39 PM. Reason: finding a shotmaker

Boolit Master

Pretty cool unit. I would be interested in some additional photos of what the base, heatign element, temp control, etc.. may look like.

If you happen to find another one don't pass it up.

Boolit Buddy

making shot

Polish your bridge with 600 grit or finer paper. Put a good coating of soapstone on the bridge. The angle of the ladle is about 15degrees. The drop from bridge to coolant is 3/8". Warm coolant till it is quite warm to the touch but not over 165 degrees. DO NOT DILUTE THE ANTIFREEZE. Use at least wheel weight or harder lead. To soft will make pancakes. I have found you only need about 3" of fall in the coolant to make good shot but it looks like your cooling cans are small and will fill quickly so I would use all of them. I drop into 4 gals of coolant. I try to drop with as low a temp that I can get the lead to flow through drippers. Seems to make better shot.
    Good Luck
    Jerry

Boolit Master
    I know the guy who is making the Littleton shot maker. He uses, if I remember correctly, fabric softener as his coolant. He also took a 30 cal ammo can and put in an overflow tube near the top; very similar to the one used on a radiator for a vehicle. Keeps things moving along efficiently and with little labor. He just washes off the coolant from the shot with water. The fabric softener has just the right amount of surface tension for making good shot. I don't recall how far down his coolant tank/shot catcher is, though. He is down in Arizona now, and I believe is doing some work, as well as making the Littleton shot maker, for Magma engineering. Gene at Magma probably knows how to get ahold of him.

Kevin
    History will record, with the greatest astonishment, that those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

The problem with Liberals is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so.

- Ronald Reagan

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

homework

nice find a buddy of mine has just got a shotmaker it came with a list of coolants you could use like Sun landry soap brake fluild anit freeze farmer oil (use for spraying) there are a few more . But we have been trying to get it going on a fairly large scale and tried the soap could not find Sun brand but did not think it would matter well it did not work shot popcorn after unit got going good about 5 mins of running. Shut it down and swapped to some hyl oil i had in the shop that works real good ran about 100 lbs all looked good. But clean up is a mess and the oil seems to mirgrate to everthing. Tried to clean with soap and water just happed to have a few gallons handy. Well that did not work to good. Working of getting some farmer oil which is water based . One thing I can not seem to figure out is why is it when you take your shot and pour it over some screenwire for it to drain the water or oil seems to stay with the shot kind of weird the way it wont drain. The shot is dropped about 3/8 to a 1/2 inch into the coolent then it must travel about 3 to 5 inchs before it cools so it looks to me like a old army can my fix your proplem a overflow in the can with a catch basin will keep the level where you need it.

Boolit Master
    I think the distance from the nozzles to the coolant might need to be increased to let the lead form a circular shape before hitting the coolant. This might also let it cool some into that round shape before it gets the final cooling from the coolant.
    History will record, with the greatest astonishment, that those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

The problem with Liberals is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so.

- Ronald Reagan

The farmer oil that is mentioned above is what I know as "crop oil". It is a spreading and sticking agent that is used in spraying crops. You can usually find in small quantities at home/garden centers, but if you go to a co-op or farm supply, or a place that does custom spray application, you can get in mass quantities. It is water soluable for easy clean up.

Chris
    NRA Life Member

"The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed that Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation, where the Governments are afraid to trust their people with arms." - James Madison.

Victory! This is fun

The level to the coolant is important. If you look closely you can see the little buggers dropping from the lip. The melting tray holds about 6 lbs. total and one can make 5 lbs. before the lead level falls below the spots. The shot varied in diameter from about .085 to .110. So I guess this batch averages to be 7 to 71/2 shot. It took very little time to make this after the lead melted. If one has a littleton, it would be easy to go semi-commercial. Yes, my cat follows me to whatever I am doing, so using the sierra coolant is a plus but I don't leave him unattended with the coolant. 2 years ago at Sparta, Ill for the SCTP when I bought shot for $19.50 a bag, I vowed that is that last time I will pay that price for shot and it is. If any of you have access to lead for a good price, even a littleton will pay for itself. Heck go in with some friends and buy one together.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MVC-006S.JPG   MVC-007S.JPG  
    Last edited by smkummer; 03-10-2008 at 04:49 PM.

Boolit Master

smkummer,

Have you tried to set an ingot or two on the back lip and let it start warming as you drop shot? as the level drop syou can gradually push the ingots into the molten lead.

Can you take a picture from the side of the unit so we can see how they mounted the heating element?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky P View Post
    nice find a buddy of mine has just got a shotmaker it came with a list of coolants you could use like Sun landry soap brake fluild anit freeze farmer oil (use for spraying) there are a few more . But we have been trying to get it going on a fairly large scale and tried the soap could not find Sun brand

You can buy SUN landry soap at Walgreens. At least that is where my wife buys ours.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast