RepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything

Thread: 20 gauge slug gun Trifecta!

Boolit Master

20 gauge slug gun Trifecta!

Have to work some more OT to pay for the glass, so I won't be able to shoot them for a month or two, but a head to head comparision is coming!

I was able to score a CVA Scout 20 gauge Slugger and H&H Tracker 2 today. Add my H&R Ultra Slugger in 20 gauge, and we have a light weight, midweight, and heavy weight barrels. And I should have a Tracker 1, smooth bore, by then as a co worker has it and doesn't want it.

There has been allot written about the H&Rs, but not allot about the CVA. I like it. Hope to posts pictures when I pick it up Tuesday. Unless I get some more overtime that day.

BTW, I wish I had the funds to throw a T/C Contender in there, but I really don't want to. I shot one before and never thought it was much above the Tracker 2. Especially for the price.

Jerry
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Yes I would be curious as well to see the Encore 20 ga rifled results?

Very nice. When I was comparing slug shot shells for my H&R 12 gauge UltraSlug I found the expense prohibitive. When I found the Remington 2-3/4" Copper Solid to be very accurate I bought another box and hunted for a couple of years, killed several deer. Then I couldn't get any more of them, and had to start all over again. This time I found that the Federal 2-3/4" slug shell with what appears to be the same Barnes bullet shoots very well in my gun. I dug deep and bought 10 boxes, and now have a long-term supply of ammunition. After a few years and quite a few deer I switched to muzzle-loading exclusively, but I can always go back to the UltraSlug gun whenever I want.

Just FYI, the 2-3/4" slug shells with a somewhat lighter bullet have a better trajectory than the 3" shells that I compared.

Boolit Master

On the T/C, I shot a friend's 20 gauge slug barreled set up and it was ok. But the barrel got hot and shots were not great after two. And it kicked like a drunken mule! So we just did 2 shot groupings when sighting it in. I saw no really improvement over the Tracker 2 I had back then, and at 1/3rd the price. But I did like the 28 gauge VR barrel.

About ammo, yes it can be, but I have been buying discounted slugs for about two years now. Don't know why, but just can't walk away from an after season sale. So I have about three or four boxes of five brands now.

My "trials" will be multi staged. I am starting with the cheapest, Remington Sluggers and Brenneke KO slugs. Yes, I understand that these slugs like Foster style slugs were made to shoot through smooth bore and rifle choked barrels. But I have had a few barrels that shot them well or equal to smooth bores out to 50 yards. So will see. Not worried about leading. We shot them before and checked our barrels and swabbed them afterwards and no leading.

Stepping up to sabots, I am just going to choose what is around here and my two gunshops, Rural King, and Wally World. That is Remington Aerotips, WW Sabots, and Brenneke Black Magics. I will try for some Federals, but can't promise anything. So what happens if nothing shoots well? I doubt it, but will cross that bridge when I get there. I hate the idea of ordering ammo online, so running to BPS or Cabela's is possible.

I still hunt with a muzzle loader, but only during MZL season. I like the quick follow up shot, if needed, with a shell. Even in a single shot.

Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty Red View Post
    I still hunt with a muzzle loader, but only during MZL season. I like the quick follow up shot, if needed, with a shell. Even in a single shot.
    I once shot a deer in tall grass at about 100 yards. He would stand up, look around then go back to browsing. Watching him through the 4x scope on the H&R Ultraslug I waited for him to raise his head, shot him, he went down, I popped open the H&R and stuck another shell in, he popped back up, and I shot him again. The second shot went off about the time the first empty hit the ground. This time he stayed down. When I made my way down there, two deer were on the ground, almost on top of each other. Fortunately for me it was legal.

Boolit Master

LOL! That is great!
    I had many friends that have hunted with me that swore I was using a repeater. I could get one bird on the rise and reload and tag another on most coveys.

Lefty...yes it would be good to see your results