Load DataWidenersSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: NOE 301 170 works pretty good in the 30-30

NOE 301 170 works pretty good in the 30-30

Today I tried the 170gr. NRA boolits in my 30-30 with good success. They start at .301", I patched them with 15# green bar paper, lubed with Rooster Jacket, and sized to .309" in a Lee die. Loaded over 4.0gr. IMR4227 + all the WC860 I could fit in the case, they shot better than I can see and were close to normal factory ballistics. Seated to let the patches engrave the rifling but still close the lever of the Marlin 336 without difficulty. I haven't had stellar results with this boolit in the 30-06 yet, but it sure seems to be at home in the 30-30!

-Nobade

Boolit Master
    got a picture of what they look like loaded.
    Suits me fine 30-30 stuff
    I went to lash out and buy that mould just for pping might yet

Tried some ww 785?? a case full and it shot good but didn't burn too well.
    Next is a duplex with 2205 adi equivalent of 4227.Work up and see what happens.

Cheers
    Bruce
    fingers crossed.

No pics, I shot them all up yesterday. But I'll take some the next time I load some.

When you try that duplex loading, start light and work up. Not light on the main charge of course but on the fast powder. Use just enough to get it to burn clean, then increase a little at a time if you feel the need for more speed but watch for pressure signs.

-Nobade

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post

When you try that duplex loading, start light and work up. Not light on the main charge of course but on the fast powder. Use just enough to get it to burn clean, then increase a little at a time if you feel the need for more speed but watch for pressure signs.

-Nobade
    Yes I will just do that.
    The little I know about such (which I read ) that to start with enough powder to cover the base and primer first.
    Thats all I know and to keep a compressive charge.
    Thats the some of it.....I shall proceed very warily
    Thanks
    Barra

Boolit Master
    Well I can see the reason why they shoot so good. (Pointed.) But not so good for the tube magazine being stacked. Being a good shot. It only takes one anyway so why not.

Post Script: Have you ever tried using a Mag Primer? instead of that duplex 4227 fast fuse light up under that WC 860. Just wondering what the result's were with Mag primer use?
    Last edited by OverMax; 03-16-2015 at 05:55 PM. Reason: Curious tweak.

Yes, have tried just using mag primers. Doesn't do anything different than regular primers. Boolit barely makes out out of the barrel, then you can pour out the unburnt powder. It needs the kicker charge to get the pressure up enough to make it start burning reasonably well.

-Nobade

Boolit Buddy

Thanks for this post, it has knocked me off the fence. I do have a question about the NOE mold though, it has gas check/plain base option; what would be the purpose of a gas check on a paper patched bullet???

BF
    "The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."--Plato

It does make it easier to wrap, and get started in the case. Doesn't seem to hurt anything, and you could use a gas check if you really wanted to.

I patch these so they are tailless. Just like bigger boolits, I hang just enough off the back so when twisted there is a little spot of lead showing in the middle. I have found they work better than making a tail and later clipping that. Plus they're pointy so it's easier to dry them this way than trying to balance them on the nose (I used to use a metal ring for that. I dry all my boolits on a coffee warmer.)

-Nobade

Boolit Master
    I've been patching 041s Lymans for awhile. Not to long ago Harter 66 was very generous in his sending me some NOE 301s. A lot of grease groves that one has. I'll have to give them a try when I get the others punching holes where I want them to be. I'm loving, as is the 30-30 also. Yup! 860 you commented about. That was the best Tip I've read all year having to do with the technique of Patching. (No doubt about that.) I don't know if the wife would allow me to use her Bunn to dry my boolits. That's questionable here.