PBcastcoLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2RepackboxTitan Reloading
Wideners Lee Precision

Thread: 38-55/375 Win Boolit suggestions

Boolit Master

38-55/375 Win Boolit suggestions

I'm in search of a plain-base boolit in the 300 gr. range for mild-moderate loads in 38-55 and 375 Win.
    You guy's got any favorites? Tom's options at Accurate are many, I need help narrowing it down. I'd like a flat point, standard lube groove design.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Accurate clone of the Ideal 375166 ... http://accuratemolds.com/bullet_deta...=38-320E-D.png
    For a 1:18 bore, it has a factor of 17.61. Used in my BP fixed cartridge reloads, the rounds are accurate to 500m
    For breech seated reloads, the Doc Hudson design Ideal 375272, 310gr ... Click image for larger version. 

Name:	375272_310g.gif 
Views:	130 
Size:	7.2 KB 
ID:	133836
    Regards
    John

Winchester and Marlin 375 Big Bore leverguns are actually re-badged 38-55s. They typically have .378+ groove diameters, and the chambers readily accept 38-55 cartridges.
    So, the only way to go is with a multiple crimp design like #38-250T in my catalog. Ranch dog was the first to market this idea, and it's a very good one.

The shorter 375 case is stronger for hotter loads, but the boolit's front band needs to be at the same depth as a 38-55 in order to avoid a huge jump to the leade.
    A boolit made to properly fit the 375, with a very long front band, won't chamber when crimped in a 38-55 case.

The multiple crimp groove makes it work well for both cartridges.

Naturally, I can apply this nose design to any boolit weight, so it can be done in a 300 grain.

Boolit Master
    Thanks Guys. I will send this thread to my old man and decide which way to go.
    Tom, I'm the same guy that just sent you an e-mail with basically the same question.
    -BE
    Last edited by Boolseye; 03-14-2015 at 10:40 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Bore diameter may be different in your 375 and 38-55 rifles. My Winchester BB 375 likes the Lyman 375449 and the velocities I load my 375 to justify the GC. My 38-55's require a bit fatter boolit so I use the PB Lyman 380681 and a more sedate powder charge appropriate for the 38-55, sometimes even Holy Black.
    I treat the 375W and 38-55 as separate cartridges and load in correct headstamp cases to avoid confusion.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    Boolseye, are these lever action guns? The reason I ask is Ruger has chambered their No 1 in these calibers, and Winchester has chambered their 1885 in 38-55 as well, I really hate to ASSUME.

Boolit Master
    No, one is a TC Contender barrel and the other a custom TC Encore barrel, made by Bullberry out of Utah.
    They're both chambered in 375 Win.

#38-300D is now in my catalog.
    Your TC 375 BB barrels will almost certainly have the proper SAAMI spec .376" groove diameters, and chambers.
    So it is likely that you will not be using the bottom crimp groove in either cartridge, but the three crimp groove choices still provide versatility in seating depth to help fit the throats of all the rifles used, and a boolit diameter of .379"-.380" can be used in both cartridges.

Boolit Master
    Thanks Tom. Order forthcoming.