WidenersSnyders JerkyRepackboxLoad Data
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 30-30 Savage 99 value

30-30 Savage 99 value

I'm sold on 30-30 for cast boolits, for the usual reasons: Long-necked, near-perfect capacity, available brass, molds, etc. And classic rifles chambered for it--got three or four from Mod. 94, 336 to a break-top.

I've been looking for Sav. 99 forever. They're always priced out of my range (which doesn't take much). I've been looking at an old 99 (guessing pre-1940s--I misplaced the serial no.) at a pawn shop for the last three years. They are asking around $550 for it.

Pros:
    Bore looks good.
    It's got a nice Lyman tang sight on it.
    Drilled and tapped for a scope. (A worthless scope is on it.)
    It's been sitting in the rack for years—apparently no one wants it at the asking price.

Cons:
    The rifle's been well used.
    The metal is VERY GOOD.
    The stock had been broken at some point across the wrist and DIY repaired with a couple of 3/8" inch dowels and wood putty. Really half-a$$ed.
    It's an after-market D&T job.

I've consulted a collector friend about some of the Sav. 99s I've turned up. He says things like a broken stock, pitting, D&T are deal breakers for collectors on these kinds of rifles. In the case of a shooter like myself, its condition should significantly reduce the asking price.

I am NOT a "collector": I shoot cast boolits out of beat up rifles.

What would a fair offer be on this Sav. 99? The shop owner thinks it's worthy of the Smithsonian Institute.

I'll try to get some photos.
    Last edited by blixen; 03-13-2015 at 07:54 PM. Reason: update info

Boolit Buddy
    Clue #1:
    I've been looking at an old 99 (guessing pre-1940s--I misplaced the serial no.) at a pawn shop for the last three years. They are asking around $550 for it.
    Clues #2 and 3:
    Drilled and tapped for a scope. (A worthless scope is on it.)
    It's been sitting in the rack for years—apparently no one wants it at the asking price.
    Other clues:The rifle's been well used.
    The metal is worn and pitted in places.
    The stock had been broken at some point across the wrist and DIY repaired with a couple of 3/8" inch dowels and wood putty. Really half-a$$ed.
    It's an after-market D&T job.

My question - why in the hell would you want it at ANY price when there are a lot of Savage 99's in 30-30 out there? There are a bunch on GunBroker alone RIGHT NOW, and that's only one source. If you end up with that particular 99 at, say $350, you're going to have a gun you'll be apologizing for as long as you own it. Get something decent to start with, enjoy the ownership of a fine rifle and have fun. JMHO.
    yooper

It IS a fine rifle. Just vintage, like me. But it's moot because the lowest he'll go is $450. BTW, I never apologize for my guns.

Boolit Grand Master

W/ those issues I wouldn't pay more than $300. I have no problem sending one out to be refinished. Can't do it myself so I have to pay someone. $550 is the price for one w/ some lack of bluing, lever has lost most of the case color, and the stock may have a slight crack at the tang. But there should be no major issues at that price.

If you decide not to get that rifle, keep your eyes open for a 99 in .303 Savage. It is essentially the same as the 30-30 (uses the same cast boolits and same powder charges), and new brass is available from Natchez. Mine was built around 1918 and still shoots great. The .303 tends to sell for less than the 30-30 models due to people being scared off by the lack of factory loaded .303 Sav.

Banned

I agree, $550 is too much, but, if you've never had one, they are the best lever actions hands down. There are places that sell exact duplicate wood, I just got a stock set for one I bought as an unfinished project in .25-35 and price was not unreasonable. Drilled and tapped is too bad, but for a shooter...

This is where I got the stock set; http://www.gunstocksinc.com/web_page...fle-stocks.htm

That Lyman tang sight would probably net you $100 on Ebay pretty easily, that'd pay for the stock set. If you could talk the dealer down below $450, spend some hours finishing a stock and you'd have a .30-30 that would blow any Marlin or Winchester lever gun out of the water easily.

Just my two cents worth, being the Savage 99 aficionado that I am.

Boolit Man
    Have you tried laying $350 on the counter?

Bill

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by WILDEBILL308 View Post
    Have you tried laying $350 on the counter?

Bill
    Good advice, especially if it's been there three years. Decent Marlins and Winchesters are bringing more than that.

Boolit Grand Master

If the action is tight and bore is good I'd be in at considerably under his asking price. If the guy wants to run a museum that's his call, not mine. I passed on dozens of well-used specimens before I stumbled over a 95% 300 last year for the same price as that beater. Nice 99's are out there and they don't bring much more than one that has been hunted hard for decades.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

In Remembrance
    Some calibers in 99s bring a premium, 30/30 is not one of them and you should be able to find a nice one at that price. I am not a collector or perfectionist, and actually like them drilled and tapped myself. A scope just looks and feels right at home on a 99 to my eyes.

Banned

Depends on the 99 and what the stock is designed like. Pretty sure one from the early 40s isn't going to have a stock design that is conducive to using a scope. I have hunted with and killed a deer with three different 99s over the past three years; a 99E in .308 from the 60s or 70s (scoped) a 99EG in .300 Savage from the late 40s or early 50s (Lyman receiver sight) and my .359 Brush Gun from the 70s (scoped). The .300 isn't drilled and the stock design wouldn't work well for it anyway, but it's the slickest working 99 I have and except for a 99H in .303 Savage (saddle carbine style) it's the most graceful in the hands one and a very good shooter. In fact, if you're talking about an unscoped rifle, I think a Savage 99EG, which seems to be the most common variant, is the perfect deer hunting rifle.

All three of those deer were with cast, by the way. It's been my experience so far that 99s are good cast shooters.

In Remembrance
    My 32 vintage wears a scope proudly and it is a nice trim package.

Boolit Master

I have been wanting a model 99 in 30-30 for years. It is my intention to rebarrel it to 7-30 Waters. That is my idea of a fine mid range 7mm rifle.
    Dysfunctional Disturbed Disabled Debonair Navy Veteran
    Swift Boats, Vietnam, 1967-1968.

"You are never too old to learn something stupid."

Boolit Master
    All good advice, but you fail to mention if it is a takedown or not. Barrel length and stock shape will tell us what model it is, and that would drive its value and whether or not it's worth putting any more money into it. Pics would be really helpful. I hear you when you say you just want a beater that shoots well, but a haphazardly repaired wrist is a game changer IMO. You're looking at the very least new wood, and while you're at it a reblue. Get a low grade walnut pre-turned butt and forearm, and hand polish everything down to 400X and rust blue it. These are things a guy can do for himself for not very much money- just a time and labor investment.

I can totally relate to not being able to afford high priced collectors items, but when I see something I want I start saving my nickels until I can buy it. Better to have a couple really nice guns that instill pride of ownership than a closet full of junkers that only allow one to say he owns a lot of guns.

Quote Originally Posted by lbaize3 View Post
    I have been wanting a model 99 in 30-30 for years. It is my intention to rebarrel it to 7-30 Waters. That is my idea of a fine mid range 7mm rifle.
    Get a .250-3000 and save yourself a bunch of money and headache with a more practical cartridge.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

You know for a hunting rifle - cast boolit shooter - you can usually find 300 sav or 308 win for very reasonable prices. Plus you'll notice that different parts of the country seem to sell them for different prices. The internet is your friend in this case and I'd let my fingers do the walking. But it one other strategy if you really want that particular 99 - go on line find a dozen listings for more realistic prices, print them out and walk in when he's alone and lay them out and then show him $300 cash but have another $50 just in case he won't come down that far.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

On an island in a lake in a rainforest of liberals
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Savage 99 1903 30-30.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	18.5 KB 
ID:	133992
    I got this 1903-1904 Sav 99 30-30 for $560 at a gun show in 2007

Boolit Master
    You did ask, move on. As stated above there are a few out there to be had. I see Utah and how far that is from the Super Wal-Mart I do not know. Gunbroker, more gas in the truck, whatever is needed if in full on hunt mode. My history is you usually walk into one when least expecting it!

Gtek, you're write about falling into one. I have been following about 8 Mod. 99s in my neighborhood--they are all .300 Sav. or 30-30 and range in price from $450 upwards. None of them are in exceptionally good shape and all have been in the same rack for years.
    I'm just going to stop at pawn shops and gun shops when I pass 'em and hope for a break--it happens.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hornady308 View Post
    If you decide not to get that rifle, keep your eyes open for a 99 in .303 Savage. It is essentially the same as the 30-30 (uses the same cast boolits and same powder charges), and new brass is available from Natchez. Mine was built around 1918 and still shoots great. The .303 tends to sell for less than the 30-30 models due to people being scared off by the lack of factory loaded .303 Sav.
    303 savage can be made from 30-30 cases, so cases are not a problem.