WidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad DataTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lee 45 cal Mini in the 43 Spanish?

Lee 45 cal Mini in the 43 Spanish?

Has anyone tried the Lee 45cal Mini in the 43 Spanish? - Either sized to bore or sized and Paper Patch?

Boolit Buddy
    Peabody or Rolling block? A lot of the Peabody's run bores larger that .439", often as large a .446", so the nominal .445 as-cast diameter of the .45 Minie should be fine. But, if cast of soft lead and loaded with full charges of black powder, it may "shuttlecock" badly as it exits the muzzle and be indifferent for accuracy. Mild loads it might work well. The other issue with the .445 is the skimpy lube grooves. Maybe filling the hollow base with lube and a card wad under the bullet would keep the throat from building up too much fouling. And, a tight chamber neck might make the cartridge tough to chamber with the oversize bullet.

Suggest slugging the bore and doing a chamber cast.
    John Wells in PA

Peabody's and Peabody-Martini's wanted
    Also shoot a 10-PDR Parrott Rifle in competition

Quote Originally Posted by John in PA View Post
    Peabody or Rolling block? A lot of the Peabody's run bores larger that .439", often as large a .446", so the nominal .445 as-cast diameter of the .45 Minie should be fine. But, if cast of soft lead and loaded with full charges of black powder, it may "shuttlecock" badly as it exits the muzzle and be indifferent for accuracy. Mild loads it might work well. The other issue with the .445 is the skimpy lube grooves. Maybe filling the hollow base with lube and a card wad under the bullet would keep the throat from building up too much fouling. And, a tight chamber neck might make the cartridge tough to chamber with the oversize bullet.

Suggest slugging the bore and doing a chamber cast.
    The bore is .442 and it is a rolling block. Was thinking of sizing it to bore and using a grease cookie under it.

Boolit Grand Master

Grease cookie or light wad may fill or push up into the hollow base and stick in it degrading accuracy also. Use a heavy thick wad under bullet .030 or .060 napa rubber fiber gasket material may work well. Will be intersting to hear the results also

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    Grease cookie or light wad may fill or push up into the hollow base and stick in it degrading accuracy also. Use a heavy thick wad under bullet .030 or .060 napa rubber fiber gasket material may work well. Will be intersting to hear the results also
    How about a shotshell fiber wad cut to those dimensions?

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Why not just order the correct mould for the cartridge and be done with it?
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Quote Originally Posted by Don McDowell View Post
    Why not just order the correct mould for the cartridge and be done with it?
    It is called make do with what you have because you cannot afford other wise.

Can't or won't?

Can't or won't?
    In my case it is (can't) afford. I apologize for the way it came out on my last post. The written word is sometimes taken in the wrong way. I meant no offence in my reply. This is just one of those cases were there is no way but for me to use what I have to work with, at least, for the time being. On a small fixed income and wife going in for a knee replacement in the morning. Death in the family last week, had no life insurance or burial plan. Money is short for the time being.

Well consider the cost of a sizing die to take that miniball down to the proper size, and not know if it will work or not, against the 70$ or less for a proper lyman mould. One other option might be to get a 300 gr 44 magnum mould and patch it up.

The tinkerer's song...

Use it up.
    Wear it out.
    Make it do or do without.

By the way, the Lyman 445599 works purty dang good in the H&R .45 Colt with the base full of lube and just the rear ring stuck in the case mouth.

Well consider the cost of a sizing die to take that miniball down to the proper size, and not know if it will work or not, against the 70$ or less for a proper lyman mould. One other option might be to get a 300 gr 44 magnum mould and patch it up.
    I am going to PP some 44 cal bullet as well. Had a extra Lee push thru die .430 and was able to open it to .440 so far with no problems. Will see how things work out.

Boolit Master

John in PA is dead on. The Lyman 439186 is probably the best off the rack mold for that, soft for black or pistol powder, harder for smokeless. It is a bevel base and casts easy.
    NEI used to offer a few flat base and maybe a tad larger.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by brstevns View Post
    I am going to PP some 44 cal bullet as well. Had a extra Lee push thru die .430 and was able to open it to .440 so far with no problems. Will see how things work out.
    You can probably "work around" any number of combinations that will send a bullet downrange. Loading up some 43 Spanish ammo and making it go bang is one thing. Working out a load that is reliable, safe and accurate is entirely a different thing. Pick the range, 50 yds, 100 yds- doesn't matter. Shoot it off a bench at a paper target. Post pictures of the target and report results.

If that 43 Spanish RB is an old original you will find out what works and what doesn't.

Lyman 446110 is a nice mould, I bought a new one ( by the time it reaches Canada its about $110.00 ) but then I was at a gun show and found a guy selling old moulds and picked up a very nice used 446110 ( older style different shape ) that was only $ 25.00 . if your on a budget, keep a sharp eye out at gun shows because oddball stuff does show up.

hey, watch where ya point that thing!

Wondering if the skirt will cause any problems. I would think if this bullet works in a 45 muzzle loader at or near 1500 fps it should not be any problems in the 43 Spanish at the same FPS ? Am I correct to think this?

bump to #16

Moderator / Master Tool & Die Maker

Quote Originally Posted by brstevns View Post
    Wondering if the skirt will cause any problems. I would think if this bullet works in a 45 muzzle loader at or near 1500 fps it should not be any problems in the 43 Spanish at the same FPS ? Am I correct to think this?
    Don't see why not. The British did something very similar with the Snider round and it was a HB design. Only difference is, they had a clay plug in the base of the bullet to keep it from deforming and to also aid in obturation.

Some shooters have used "Bondo" to fill the HB of their mini bullets. I don't see why it wouldn't work in your case.

You won't know until you try.

RRR
    "I Make the part.............................that makes the parts"

Looking for Bullet Mould Handles, Heavy Duty Replacement Sprue Plates, Adjustable Paper Patch Bullet Moulds? Check here:http://www.kal.castpics.net/

My Feedback!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Red-River-Rick

fill the throat ... fill the throat ... fill the throat ... fill the throat !!!

Boolit Grand Master

If you suspect problems with the skirt turn some off the plug and make the walls thicker to make a little stiffer. .010-.015 should make a visible diffrence.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast