Load DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snap-cap primer pocket suggestion?

Moderator Emeritus

Snap-cap primer pocket suggestion?

I am making a few snap-caps in calibers not offered by manufacturers I'm aware of, and am undecided WHAT to put in/fill the primer pocket with. I've been thinking of simply filling with Thermogrip hot-melt glue -- or, G.E. Silicon. "Googling" this I came across ideas ranging from using automobile tire rubber cut to fit; similar with pencil erasers; and even balsa wood!

I'm seeking experienced advice: what works best? The firearms I'm making these snap caps for are quite old, and mostly take rimless (.30 Rem, .32 Rem, .35 Rem) cases. I bought a Model 8 Remington a while back with a broken firing pin, and gunsmith -- perhaps as old as the firearm -- suggested in his opinion, the quickest way to break a center-fire firing pin is to dry fire it -- sans a cushion (e.g., snap cap) for it.

Thank you, and BEST!
    georgerkahn

I drill out the primer hole flush with the pocket. Then I take a tap and thread the resulting hole. I use nylon bolts from Home Depot/Lowes. Screw them in and cut flush with a knife. If the fit is loose, a bit of glue; but I've never had to. Load a boolit and you're done. This is a great time for blue PC boolits.

For shotgun snapcaps, deprime and stuff a spent 22 rim fire (LR, R or S) into the primer pocket. No need to drill and tap them. I then stuff paper towels into the hull (push firmly with a dowel) and crimp normally (you could use a piece of dowel instead to give the round a bit more weight if desired). The 22 case can be removed and a new (empty) case put back in.

Make sure to mark them so they don't get confused with regular ammo. I find these work well for clearance drills.

Moderator Emeritus

One of MANY things I truly love about this Forum are the truly GENIUS folks on it, quite often generous in sharing their expertise as well as experiences! I have a couple of drill presses, vices, drills, and taps galore -- so I should be set. WHAT A BRILLIANT IDEA!
    Thank you again!!!!
    george

Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    One of MANY things I truly love about this Forum are the truly GENIUS folks on it, quite often generous in sharing their expertise as well as experiences! I have a couple of drill presses, vices, drills, and taps galore -- so I should be set. WHAT A BRILLIANT IDEA!
    Thank you again!!!!
    george

Thanks George,

Can't take full credit. The nylon bolt idea I got from the good folks on the Handi Rifle forum at Graybeards.

Boolit Grand Master

Any cushion helps some. Remember that the more use the fast the materials lose thier usefullness. Hard rubber is brobably about the best and compressed into the primer pocket helps it to maintain also. Nylon, derlin, thermo plastics work but dont have the spring back either.An ideal set up would be a spring loaded lpunger set in to the case head. Fairly heavy spring and the plunger wouldnt wear out in several lifetimes.

Moderator Emeritus

country gent, you are in concert with a gentleman in United Kingdom who suggested using tire rubber. However. the challenge for me would be to make the primer-sized plugs from it. I really like the idea of nylon screw, and perhaps I can integrate your wonderful suggestion, too, by crazy-gluing a bit of rubber to the top of nylon screw. Threaded all the way, I can start screw from inside of the case, and readily adjust height(?). Rubber glued on, I can resort to an old-tech method, perhaps, of trimming the rubber to size with an Xacto knife or razor blade. Tied up tomorrow, and inclement weather's forecast for Saturday, so I hope to play with this then. I'll take some photos and report my hopeful success, God willing.
    Thanks again
    george

Boolit Grand Master

Use an 1/4" hole punch and hammer to cut the inserts Should be very close I believe 3/16 would be close for small primers. A dowel cutter vor wood may work also. You can either drill primer pockets bigger to fit the slugs or work them down with sand paper

I've cut a narrow strip from vinyl self-stick floor tile and stacked up 3 layers trimmed to size with sharp scissors.
    Mark
    Any way you sell it,
    No matter how you spell it,
    When you start to smell it,
    BO Stinks!

I used to put erasers off wooden pencils in the hole and cut them flush.

I just use a fired primer or pick the anvil out punch it flat and put plastic in the cup and reseat.

Boolit Master

I use slow set hot glue(which may be what the OP was referring to) and it works very well and lasts a long time. I picked it over silicon caulk because the caulk seemed to be too soft. Just squirt it in, let it set and trim ii off. I try to make sure some of the glue extrudes thru the ignition hole for better hold.

Plus the slow set hot glue is great for making top punches from theperfessors punches.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    country gent, you are in concert with a gentleman in United Kingdom who suggested using tire rubber. However. the challenge for me would be to make the primer-sized plugs from it. I really like the idea of nylon screw, and perhaps I can integrate your wonderful suggestion, too, by crazy-gluing a bit of rubber to the top of nylon screw. Threaded all the way, I can start screw from inside of the case, and readily adjust height(?). Rubber glued on, I can resort to an old-tech method, perhaps, of trimming the rubber to size with an Xacto knife or razor blade. Tied up tomorrow, and inclement weather's forecast for Saturday, so I hope to play with this then. I'll take some photos and report my hopeful success, God willing.
    Thanks again
    george
    Sharpen the neck of a .22 size case or tube of similar size and just twist it into the tire. It cuts pretty easy.

Moderator Emeritus

And from GrayTech I get another piece of brilliance! I'd never thought of using a .22 case -- or even a .17 -- as a "punch". NOT to exclude other posters, ALL you guys are great!
    Thanks again ever so much to all!
    george

Boolit Master

If you can get it "O" ring material is very good I have never used one up.they are tough and will protect the firing pin.
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Moderator Emeritus

...and the brilliance still comes forth! w5pv has just added what may be my final/best option! Heck, I'm now thinking of just using cleaned/reamed existing primer pocket; a trip to hardware store with a micrometer in hand to find appropriate O-ring diameter; mix a drop of epoxy and bond in razor-cut pieces a tad too long. After epoxy sets, trim flush with razor blade, and WOW -- sounds like a doable plan! (If not, I can go out to shop and drill, tap, use nylon screws -- so I have "back up")
    Again -- thanks to all for sharing your brilliance. Many ideas I'd surely not have come up with.
    georgerkahn

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Leather punch and a plug made from Latigo leather.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Boolit Master
    Very useful thread thus far!!

Thanks George for getting this going!! .......... and thanks for all who added their ideas and experiences!

It dawned on me that brass that we throw away for split necks etc. would make suitable base stock for one's snap caps!!

Best regards

Three 44s

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    I used to put erasers off wooden pencils in the hole and cut them flush.
    +1
    beat me to it. they stay in on own and can be removed if the need arises (why you would want to I have no idea but they do pop out when you want them to)
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by w5pv View Post
    If you can get it "O" ring material is very good I have never used one up.they are tough and will protect the firing pin.
    Try an industrial supply. Should be able to buy by the foot. I bought a length one time to fit a s 6 foot diameter pressure vessel. It was too big to use for a cushion but smaller sizes should be available. You won't need the kit to splice the ends together.
    John
    W.TN

Quote Originally Posted by Three44s View Post
    Very useful thread thus far!!

Thanks George for getting this going!! .......... and thanks for all who added their ideas and experiences!

It dawned on me that brass that we throw away for split necks etc. would make suitable base stock for one's snap caps!!

Best regards

Three 44s
    That's what I use the Berdan and steel cases for.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast