Titan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Wideners
Snyders Jerky Repackbox

Thread: Ok simple question 311041

Boolit Buddy

Ok simple question 311041

If you could order the PERFECT 311041 mold, what would the as cast dimensions be using 50/50 COWW-PB + 2% tin?
    bands?
    nose?
    If you know of a more versatile design for the below calibers please list it. This will be foremost a deer hunting boolit.
    This would be for use in 308, 06, 30-30.
    I would also like to know a real good plain base 120 to 140 grain plinker / small game boolit mold.
    All input is welcome. I have read the stickies and a blue million posts and it starts to run together after awhile.
    Thank you

.311 X .301 (body and nose)

Stop reading and start casting and shooting. Your targets will teach you more than all the stickies on this board. You can't learn to ride a bicycle by reading about it.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post

Stop reading and start casting and shooting. Your targets will teach you more than all the stickies on this board. You can't learn to ride a bicycle by reading about it.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    This should be a Stickie!

Boolit Grand Master

Woo Hoo! I have the "perfect" 311041. It casts at 0.310"/0.311" and 0.301"/0.302" in wheelweights.

Unfortunately I only have one .308" and five .303's which want a 0.315" x 0.304" boolit.

Actually it is a nice mould. I have had it about 30 years and it is one of Lyman's best examples of mould making... in my opinion anyway.

I like iron moulds to begin with and it casts just enough oversize in plain old wheelweights to size back to suit about any "standard" .30 cal. It shoots very well from my .308 and also a friend's .308.

I wish all of Lyman's moulds cast that much "oversize" using wheelweights. Yes, I know, we are supposed to cast with Lyman #2 alloy but... I am lazy and cheap and wheelweights work just fine iof the mould casts large enough with them.

Anyway, I keep my prize mould nicely oiled as it does not see much use these days.

Nice boolit, nice mould. Get one, you will like it.

If you can't find th4e size you want then get Tom at Accurate Molds to make you one. He can duplicate it in any diameter you want and his moulds are NICE! Very, very nice!

Longbow

.311 X .301 (body and nose)

Advice from a guy with 11,000 posts <G>
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries

Both of our 30-30". One Marlin 336 and a Winchester 94 AE. Have spot on .300" bores by .308" groves. Neither will chamber a nose with .301" diameter. .310" bullets leave a tad less than .002" for neck expansion release. So I shoot .310" x .300" bullets.
    “AMERICA WILL NEVER BE DESTROYED FROM THE OUTSIDE. IF WE FALTER AND LOSE OUR FREEDOMS, IT WILL BE BECAUSE WE DESTROYED OURSELVES.” President Abraham Lincoln

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by HARRYMPOPE View Post
    Μολὼν λάβε

Boolit Master

Way to go, Harry. That's funny/ironical..
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

bhn22
    Let's see, 11,000 posts divided by ten years equals 1,100 per year. Divide 1,100 by 365 days and you end up with 3 posts per day for an average. That assumes no days are missed. Charles daily average is quite low for someone who's been on the boards for ten years.

Never miss an opportunity to zing a guy. That seems to be what this board is all about these days.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Grand Master
    I am less concerned with the number of posts than I am the quality. Charles qualifies as a guy to listen to based on quality.

I agree entirely with his assessment. Get out and cast, load, and shoot. You might actually learn something.
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Boolit Grand Master
    I am not sure what mine has for dimensions but my model 94 really like it
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Buddy

Never miss an opportunity to zing a guy. That seems to be what this board is all about these days.
    Please don't take offense. I just thought the "zing" was funny. and he did put <G> after it.

I keep telling myself that same line. I need to stop reading and over-thinking it. I have read enough to get started. Now, I just need to DO-IT.
    Last edited by LuckyDog; 03-14-2015 at 05:24 AM. Reason: spelling
    Μολὼν λάβε

Boolit Master
    Without slugging your guns, you are guessing. The .310-.311ish body by .301" nose is a good guess. As another poster stated, his guns won't allow a .301" nose, and my Savage 30-30 NEEDS a .302"+ nose on a bore rider design to shoot well. Each gun is different.