Load DataWidenersRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
RepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication

Thread: Enclosed lead rendering help

Question Enclosed lead rendering help

I recently acquired some decommissioned isotope source housings. These had a radioactive source in them and were used as industrial measure devices. The sources have, of course, been removed and there is a LOT of lead inside them. Each device is probably 75 to 100 pounds.

The smaller orange bells will be pretty easy to render. The bottom plate comes off exposing the lead core which should just melt out while in my rendering pot. The yellow ones are the big question. They are encased in steel with no easy access to the lead other than a couple small holes. I'm hesitant to cut into the case (messy, steel and lead everywhere, etc...) but I've considered drilling more holes in it and hoping the lead melts out the holes.

If I let the housing sit in a lead bath is it feasible to assume the lead will melt and drain out the holes while the steel housing floats on top? Thoughts?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	source_housings_1.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	83.3 KB 
ID:	133649 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	source_housings_2.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	91.4 KB 
ID:	133651
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Boolit Master
    A nice problem to have to deal with. If the steel case is solid and no extra holes on the bottom or sides, one could set it across a turkey frier and drill a hole large hole at the lowest point on one corner. Put a container under the corner and fire up the burner. As the lead melts, it will exit the case and into the container. You might have to tilt the case to help the melt flow out the drain hole. You might also find a weed burner helpful to warm the sides and top of the metal container during the process. Do not overheat which will release dangerous fumes. Good find. Dusty

I think dusty nailed it.

Going to take some time and a good source of heat to get that to where the lead will run.

Weed burner or plumbers torch to help heat corners will help get it all out.

I take it the lead is not radioactive?

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    I take it the lead is not radioactive?
    Correct. Wiped and leak tested as negative.
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum