MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Repackbox
WidenersInline FabricationLoad DataReloading Everything
Titan Reloading

Thread: Trout fishing Lake Taneycomo In Sept.

Trout fishing Lake Taneycomo In Sept.

Does anyone fish lake Taneycomo in early Sept.? What are you using both spinning and fly rod?

Boolit Master

Can't help with bait/lures but did some boating while visiting family in Branson a few years ago.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Looking to try the fly rod if I can get help on the best flies etc.

Anyone using scuds or sow bugs? What colors seem to work around the end of august on this lake?

Go to riverrun outfitters for info. I think the big browns begin to run then (maybe topwaters with a dropper). I use scuds, woolly buggers & trout crack, spinning stuff is gathering dust. I usually wade by the outlets but last spring used a guide (Jim) as B-I-L & my back's were a problem. He just had disk fusion this week and says he can stand straight look into the mirror. Don't know how high the water is, several years ago it was terrible, food got washed out by the outflow. Always fished the trophy area (barbless), never had any luck further down but Rockaway beach has had some good catches on spinning rigs from the bank. Oh, browns are native and are good eating (i've heard as I don't eat fish), rainbow are soft and fatty - hatchery fish. They do put up a good fight.
    Whatever!

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    Go to riverrun outfitters for info. I think the big browns begin to run then (maybe topwaters with a dropper). I use scuds, woolly buggers & trout crack, spinning stuff is gathering dust. I usually wade by the outlets but last spring used a guide (Jim) as B-I-L & my back's were a problem. He just had disk fusion this week and says he can stand straight look into the mirror. Don't know how high the water is, several years ago it was terrible, food got washed out by the outflow. Always fished the trophy area (barbless), never had any luck further down but Rockaway beach has had some good catches on spinning rigs from the bank. Oh, browns are native and are good eating (i've heard as I don't eat fish), rainbow are soft and fatty - hatchery fish. They do put up a good fight.
    Thanks for the help. My cousin and I are looking forward to our trip and are trying to gather information.

They just closed the flood gates but catching some good fish. Always wanted to go in fall but usually end up there in early summer. RR supplies all equipement (Orvis). I think they still have night fishing which is supposed to be the best for the big ones in the fall. Do visit Arnold Palmer restaurant on the hill - $$$ but worth it. They (Bass Pro) were just about finished with the wilderness area at the bottom of the hill - really neat. I've probably been there 10 times, actually honeymooned at Indian point 46 yrs ago. Sure has changed.
    Whatever!

I believe my cousin book us at Coopers Creek, can't wait!

Boolit Buddy

You will have a good time there. Fishing Taneycomo depends so much on conditions at the time......how much water are they running from Tablerock Dam, etc ........ Lots of good folks and outfitters. Just stop in any pro shop and ask for the "latest." You will get more opinions than you can use.
    Last edited by OldFogey; 06-21-2015 at 09:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by OldFogey View Post
    You will have a good time there. Fishing Taneycomo depends so much on conditions at the time......how much water are they running from Tablerock Dam, etc ........ Lots of good folks and outfitters. Just stop in any pro shop and ask for the "latest." You will bet more opinions than you can use.
    Been picking up a few midges and scud bugs. most in green and earth colors, with bead heads.

Wow - wife just said we need a road trip back to Branson end of Aug or first of Sept. Doggone it!
    Whatever!

popper I hope you make it there. Maybe you can post what they are hitting in time for my trip. Hope you catch a Lunker of a Brown trout

Me too, but mostly hatchery bows. About 4 years ago I get a >2 ft bow foul hooked on a 3 wt. rod (barbless of course). That was FUN. Wore us both out and really ticked off some fishermen.
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy

Guys I used to work with went every year in Sept. Swore by that lake.

Boolit Mold
    Fishing conditions have been changing every day. The folks at Cooper Creek should give you good information. Also check with the local​ fly shops in Branson. Olive and tan scuds are a good choice especially on a 3wt rod. Marabou jigs, rooster tail spinners, spoons and small rapala minnows are good to start with. Suggest 4lb or even 2lb line. Low light (dusk dawn) even at night seems to work well. Have a good time.

Getting more exited every day. Making up a few midge's in darker colors and a few red ones as well.

I suggest a 5W rod, 6x tippet. Sinking line didn't work for me. Small beadhead wooly buggers in green worked best for me, as well as the small tan scuds - think really small! They use trout crack (small brown spot on #22) during the day. I've never gotten anything on top water there. I just fish the trophy area near the dam. I've tried small red copper johns but never got anything, even as a dropper. They do work great on blue gill here in texas. Got an arm long cat on the 5 wt couple weeks ago, 20# leader, wore us both out, small pond in front of the city hall. Just got back from a small park east of Nashville, got a few B.G., saw some 3-4# bass we missed.
    Whatever!

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    I suggest a 5W rod, 6x tippet. Sinking line didn't work for me. Small beadhead wooly buggers in green worked best for me, as well as the small tan scuds - think really small! They use trout crack (small brown spot on #22) during the day. I've never gotten anything on top water there. I just fish the trophy area near the dam. I've tried small red copper johns but never got anything, even as a dropper. They do work great on blue gill here in texas. Got an arm long cat on the 5 wt couple weeks ago, 20# leader, wore us both out, small pond in front of the city hall. Just got back from a small park east of Nashville, got a few B.G., saw some 3-4# bass we missed.
    Thanks for the update. Cousin and I are heading out tomorrow. Calling for a weather change. Temps. low 60's hope it does not cause the fish to stop biting.

Fished below Fall Creek. could not get anything to look at a fly. Switched to light spinning and used a Black Roostertail that worked very well. Came home with 8 nice rainbows to give to my nephew.