Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2WidenersInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will a $19 Walmart (Rival) toaster oven work for PC?

Found a 450 degree toaster oven for $19 at Walmart

EDIT: I have changed my original subject line on the thread. I posted to ask if this could be used. I will find out tomorrow or the next day when I do my first PC.

I picked up one of these today:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Rival-4-Sl...White/39082968

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	k2-_20c3decb-fc5e-45e5-91ee-9938ebd2224a.v1.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	18.6 KB 
ID:	133610

I'll keep the box taped up until I hear that it will work fine. I have no idea what the max temp is on this. Thanks!
    Last edited by rmcelwee; 03-11-2015 at 05:59 PM.

Boolit Master

What temperature does it go up to?
    "If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by 500MAG View Post
    What temperature does it go up to?
    As I said in the original post:
    I have no idea what the max temp is on this.
    Maybe I'll have to open it up to see if it says in the documentation.

OK, I opened up the box and it does indicate a 450 max temp. I guess I am good to go. I'll change the subject of the thread to indicate there may be a $19 oven that should work fine. I'll post a review in a couple of days. Thanks!

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Even though the dial may SAY 450, do not trust it! Get an oven thermometer and theck the dail calibrations. Many find the dial can be off as much as 75F!!!! Those cheap ovens are all over the map. Cooking food, it is not that critical as the cassarole dish or pizza acts as a heat sink and averages out the temp. Out loads of little boolits are much more sensitive to temp swings and the thermostat cannot maintain temp accurately to around 400. And they are cheaply built!

good luck with your process.

banger-j

Boolit Mold
    My rival holds a steady 400 when checked with a oven thermometer. I have only used it once for powder coat but it seemed to be fine.

Boolit Master
    Unless you plan to buy a PID and hacksaw your oven, I would stick with a quality digital temp oven.
    Is that at least a convection oven?

Jeez how can you guys afford a gun and shooting if you need to buy the cheapest toaster oven you can find?
    Last edited by oneokie; 03-11-2015 at 09:59 PM.

I had a $19 Black and Decker toaster oven that was not convection and it worked fine for about a year. I got a Farberware convection countertop oven that works better. It was $40. Bigger too. Don't knock the cheap stuff. I'd rather save my money and buy another gun anyway.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Get a cheap oven thermometer and watch it while you're baking and you can get by just fine. I used a cheapo for about a year too.... It's not the best, it's not what you want forever, but it'll bake a boolit if you watch the thermometer (not the dial) and keep it as close to desired temp as you can.
    I even used my casting thermometer sometimes.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Master
    My $5 Black and Decker Goodwill special works just fine. When it dies, I will go back to Goodwill and get another.

Quote Originally Posted by kryogen View Post
    Unless you plan to buy a PID and hacksaw your oven, I would stick with a quality digital temp oven.
    Is that at least a convection oven?

Jeez how can you guys afford a gun and shooting if you need to buy the cheapest toaster oven you can find?
    Come on, brother, you made out of money? Trust fund baby? Hold up on the insults, like the other guy said, more money for guns if it works. You really should see some of my makeshift, redneck-engineered stuff, if you think that is cheap. Jeez.
    "Them that don't know him won't like him and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him, he ain't wrong he's just different and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right"
    Ed Bruce

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

I was thinking of getting a full size oven sooner then later but I keep finding these little toaster ovens or should I say winding up with them. I got my wife a new one so I got the old one for the shop. Then the lady next door got a new one and asked me to toss the old one it stilled worked. Then someone else was tossing one out since it was dirty that worked also that put me at three. This week I was cleaning out a apt and guess what was left along with some other items yep a toaster oven I plugged it in and it worked so now I have 4. Maybe this is a sign I do not need a bigger oven.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Craigslist. It's full of em. I got a like-new convection toaster oven with 2 racks (holds 500 boolits at a time) for 30 bucks.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Mold
    I got the same oven from Walmart. My boolits haven't complained yet and neither have my guns. Get a thermometer. As stated before, the dial on the front isn't accurate but it gets to 400 and stays there.

I've been trying that one out... it will hold 400 according to my thermometer, but that little element in the bottom is a real hot spot and I slumped a few bullets over it. Going to try putting some tiles in the bottom to better distribute the heat.

mike
    ----> then I'll probably try a different oven
    I saw this in a cartoon once. I'm pretty sure I can pull it off...

Boolit Bub
    I use the same and have powder coated many boolits. I have found that mine regulates temp the best in the toaster mode. Although the dial says 450 degree, it pretty much tops out around 390. When on the bake or broil mode the temp is all over the place without much regulations at all.

Good luck.
    git

I checked it today (PC day is tomorrow - cast around 180 200gr SWC 45's today for my first cast ever). Setting it to TOAST (350 degrees) gave me 350 at 5 minutes, 450 at 10 minutes, and 400 at 15 minutes and stayed there forever. I don't know anything about temps for PC but I see people throwing around the 400 degree number so I guess that is what I need.

Boolit Master
    I have not had any issues with my Rival Walmart oven.I did check it with an oven thermomitor and adjusted the setting accordingly.It does seem to be hotter on the bottom if you put the tray on the Lower space.or if you use two trays, the lower one can slump the boolits if you dont pay attention.Heck, I bought a friend some Cheepo toaster oven at Goodwill for $5.00 and it does fone for him.The only thing I would like more is an oven with more space.The Walmart one was fine, but I outgrew it in a month.I guess i am just hooked on PC'ing too bad.

Explain what slumping a bullet is. I think you are saying they get soft (lose BHN)? At what temp do they do this?

I am going to preheat to 400 then put my PC boolits in. Watch them to see when the PC melts and then leave them in there for 20 minutes. I think this is the correct procedure from what I have read.
    Last edited by rmcelwee; 03-13-2015 at 12:52 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Slumping is when they approach the melting point and get soft enough to become "plastic" and begin to collapse under their own weight.
    Got-R-Did.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast