Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lee 452-255-rf ??

Boolit Master

Lee 452-255-rf ??

Gun: Ruger New Vaquero .45 Colt.
    Mold: LEE 452-255-RF

Questions:
    1: What is the proper seating depth for this bullet.
    2:Why does every LEE mold I buy drop small ?, other brands of molds I use drop right were they are suppose to.
    This one drops .4505 to .451, they slide right through my .452 sizer barely touched.
    Failure is not an Option

Love Life
    1. To the crimp groove
    2. They don't all drop small. Your mould might be out of spec.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    1. To the crimp groove
    2. They don't all drop small. Your mould might be out of spec.
    Thanks I will seat to the groove.
    This is my 5th LEE mold of different types, all have dropped small. Good bullets, just small.
    Failure is not an Option

Love Life
    Dang. Batting zero on the moulds! Have you contacted Lee about it yet?

Boolit Grand Master

Mine tend to drop a little large. Some I just cast from a 358140 SWC dropped .359-.3595.

As with comment #2, there is a crimp groove and that is always a good place to start. Did you miss it?
    Last edited by jonp; 03-13-2015 at 04:17 PM.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    Dang. Batting zero on the moulds! Have you contacted Lee about it yet?
    Sure did, they said they have no clue why and they have never cast a bullet with their molds because they are not allowed to have lead in the facility.
    They completely blew me off, offered no solution and said oh' well.
    I sent emails on another item and never got a reply.
    I am done with LEE molds and their CS. I still use some of their stuff, don't know why.
    Failure is not an Option

Boolit Master
    yeah I would contact lee and ask them to replace it with a slightly oversized mold

Richard
    Yes I can be long winded. Yes I follow rabbit trails. Yes I admit when I am wrong. Your mileage may vary.

Keep your powder dry. Watch yer Top knot.

"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!"

Yes there were "Short" 45 Colts! http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/45_short_colt.htm

Love Life
    Did you order them direct from Lee or through a place like Midway USA? If through a place like Midway USA, then you might be able to get them replaced as a defective product.

Lee moulds are a poop shoot. When they are good...they are GOOD!! Rain bullets at good diameters, but when they suck...they really suck.

I really like that bullet and shot it a bunch out of my 454 Casull.

Boolit Master
    I have the same mould. Its about four years old and mine cast small also. I have tape on the inside to keep it a bit larger. That was a trick from a guy here I think his name is Manny c or something. I keep telling myself I am going to open it up with the polish but have yet to do it.

Vendor Sponsor

The mold can be lapped, or "beagled" to get it to drop bigger. Do a search on beagling, it was an interesting thread.

NOE makes an "improved" version of this 255gr RF boolit, we were just discussing it earlier in the week I think you may have weighed in on the same thread.

O/T but in reference to the forcing cone tooling we were talknig about, you might come out ahead renting the kit from 4D rentals. It's an $80 up front deposit but you get it back. http://www.4-dproducts.com/
    Last edited by DougGuy; 03-10-2015 at 08:24 PM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Buddy
    My Lee casts to .453 that I use in a carbine. I own a NOE twin with GC and hollow point, if it casts larger than the Lee I will try it in my Colt SAA. I like the design and the Lee is acceptably accurate in the carbine.

Get the NOE improved version of that mold and it will drop at least .454 with straight COWW. That's what I did and I have never regretted it as it shoots amazing in 45 ACP (revolver), 45 Colt, and 454 Casull. It's worth the cost.

Neither a borrower nor a lender be;
    For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
    And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.
    This above all: to thine ownself be true

I have cast a lot of boolits from the two cavity version of the Lee 452-255-RF. I have alternated between 10:1 and 20:1 alloy. Consistent drops at .453. Have you tried these alloys? Just got the six cavity version, but have not used it yet. I better check the new mold for boolit diameter.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornbread View Post
    Get the NOE improved version of that mold and it will drop at least .454 with straight COWW. That's what I did and I have never regretted it as it shoots amazing in 45 ACP (revolver), 45 Colt, and 454 Casull. It's worth the cost.

That's the one I want but they are out of stock.
    Or this one http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...roducts_id=752
    Failure is not an Option

How do you tell if they are out of stock? I looked at the page for the one I have: http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...roducts_id=747

and I couldn't find anything about out of stock. Do they post it somewhere or am I just missing it on that page?

They have a 4 cavity one of it too:
    http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...roducts_id=163

That one I have no experience with though as I only have the two cavity mold.

Vendor Sponsor

hylander or Cornbread, when y'all get these molds up and running, I would maybe like to trade some of my cylinder and or barrel work (or buy outright) for some samples of this RF boolit in 20:1 or 50/50+2% with Felix or other soft lube. I may need .454" or as dropped, will know when I get the new Uberti and slug it sometime later this week.
    Last edited by DougGuy; 03-11-2015 at 10:12 PM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    Cornbread: When you add it to your cart it show's out of stock.

DougGuy: I would be happy to trade for some Cylinder work, I know I will need my Vaquero's cylinder Throats opened up.
    I'm going to call NOE in the morning to see if the mold will be in stock soon.
    I also cast a very nice NOE 312299 bullet with a great lube if any interest, I can size .309 or .311
    http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...roducts_id=378
    Failure is not an Option

Boolit Master
    I wish NOE would cut these at .453, sizing the .454s to .452 has caused me some grief. I have their big 355 for my 454 Casull, great bullet, but a pain to size.

I just saw this morning that the 265gr version went on sale today at NOE: http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...oducts_id=1620

If you don't mind going 10gr heavier with a bigger forward driving band, this might be a good time to pick up that mold.

Boolit Master
    Is your alloy as close to what Lee says they used to be accurate?
    A lot more to it than just mold size.
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast