WidenersLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Novelty shooting set ups for kids of all ages?

Boolit Master
    The egg shooting is on. It will probably be our first event.

Boolit Master
    I would like to see pictures of the kids faces when you explain the rules to them, maybe a pic or two of the youngsters eating eggs after the shoot........

You can't go past clay targets. Burn a hole in them with a soldering iron or hot wire, thread a string, hang them up. I get buckets of 'pick ups' at my club. No one else wants them.

Oh, and for a small target, try billiard chalks. The wee blue cubes make a great target.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Grand Master

I went to a good shoot many years ago that had some good novelty shoots (best shoot I was ever at actually, in Bend Oregon):

- chestnut hanging on a string at about 15 yards (any small target would work)
    - small steel gongs across a creek (the creek or any difference in landscape changes seems to make it more interesting)
    - playing cards (aces) stuck to a tree with YOUR knife ~ shoot the center "ace" not your knife!
    - playing cards on edge ~ cut the cards in half
    - double bladed axe stuck in a tree with clay pigeon on each side ~ split the ball and break 'em both
    - tape over the handle loop of YOUR tin cup ~ shoot through the tape not your cup! (the guy making tin cups had a booming business, no pun intended)

All doable and all good fun hit or miss, and good spectator sport as well.

Have fun!

Longbow

Boolit Master
    Those are excellent Longbow. Thanks.

Boolit Master
    I haven't tried this but I have been thinking about cardboard target with a block of wood behind the vitals and set them up so it knocks them over when the block of wood catches the ball/bullet

I have tried the 22 type targets poppers , spinners and such , a rb and 20-25 gr of powder does not seem to beat them up at 25+ yards

I ran out of golf balls cause we play pistol golf starting at about 5 yards , 1 ball 2 shooters you have to move the ball if you don't the and the other shooter does at that distance you loose , often this was just 1 pistol passing it back and forth after each shot so that the gun was no advantage (it probably started this was when we only had 1 pistol but it keeps it even)

we also play a pistol game where we use spent shot shell hulls on stick about as big around as a pencil , but what ever we can find , stuck into the sand a hit will take the hull of the stick usually you can get a few uses of the hulls when shooting 22lr , winner gets to make up the next challenge

pop bottles , water bottles , 2 liters, milk jugs ,all full of water , colored water makes it easier to see , who doesn't like a mist of water when they shoot

but I would gather the materials show them what there is to work with and let them design the game and the course of fire they will use their imagination (they can outrun you an make you work much harder than necessary let them invent a bit put them to work building , cutting out cardboard targets , coming up with the ideas you provide technical assistance and some advice)
    simple rules apply , no steel at unsafe distances , see the USPSA safe steel distances , I know not muzzle loading but they are sort of the experts on safe steel shooting and they shoot it with about everything but muzzle loaders. for kids add a few yards to all of their numbers as we still get splatter at those distances with pistols
    no targets positioned so that rounds won't go into the berm of safe backstop
    and all guns handled properly in safe direction , for kids and not a bad idea for adults keep the caps at he firing point and they can only cap or prime when at the line pointed down range

DON'T shoot cratered steel plates , they are not safe if what your shooting at them craters them stop

safety glasses for everyone including spectators is a MUST as is hearing protection , run a safe range they will have a blast without blasting you out of powder designing their own shoot

most safety catalogs have safety glasses for about 2.50 a pair , Sam's club had 6 packs last year for 12 dollars

SUN GLASSES are NOT SAFETY GLASSES , I shoot a pair Every year with a pellet gun to prove this point to my junior shooters and their parents at my air rifle shoot , when they see those lenses explode out of the frames and the safety glasses be only scratched you have never see so many reluctant parents go grab safety glasses from my loaner bin

Boolit Master
    Pete, thanks for the ideas. I will be using quite a few of the.

Boolit Buddy
    I got the idea from a Hickok45 video to put tin cans on top of rebar posts (the kind used for small electric fences). Most shots will cause the can to just rattle around on the post, but sometimes they fly off. I like to set up a big can close to the shooter, a medium can further, and a small can even further, for an extreme variation in challenge. My nephew and I took turns shooting 5-round magazines with the cans scoring 1, 3, and 5 points, near to far, so the shooter gets to decide whether to take the easy close points or go for the difficult far points. The steel posts are pretty soft - they hold up well against handgun and 22LR, but 223 will go clean through them, severing the post entirely if hit squarely enough.

Boolit Master

Some of the rendezvous that I use to go to had some great targets to test the skill of the shooter. One shoot was plastic spoons, wonder if they make those biodegradable. A piece of spaghetti ( un-cooked) stuck in a slanted hole in a board makes for a hard target to hit, got to have windage and elevation right on to hit it. Potatoes hanging on a string was fun. Balloons are always fun with a BB gun.

Allow me to add charcoal bricquetts. Biodegradeable, drill holes in em and hang them up or stick them on nails. They puff good when you hit them. Also, buy a big bag of the penny suckers (lolly pops). Drill a bunch of holes in a board and stick them in and fire away.

Perma-Banned
    what kid wouldn't love the surprise & excitement of some BLAMMO targets goin' off?

Boolit Master
    thread through a ritz cracker. hang it up when they get good at that try cheese-it crackers.
    cut out a steel silhouette of a 1gal. stone jug. hang it up put a charcoal briquette on top like a cork. shoot out the cork without hitting the jug.

Give each shooter blank sheet of paper ,9 1/2x11" have them post it & fire 1 shot any who miss is out. then fold the paper double & repeat after each round fold paper again.repeat till you have a winner , the last shooter standing. That paper shrinks fast after the first few rounds.
    The 3 people a man must be able to trust completely are his gunsmith his doctor & his preacher ..,his gunsmith for his short term health ,his doctor for long term health ,and his preacher incase one of the others mess up.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12