RepackboxSnyders JerkyWidenersInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How do you carry extra shells?

Banned

for upland hunting [grouse or pheasants] I wear a vest which has a place for shells in the pocket flaps. [think Bob Allen]
    my duck hunting coat has loops in the pockets, and inside the inner jacket for shells. [browning/Columbia]

for deer hunting I just toss a rifles refill of extra rounds in my waist pack which also has water bottles and other essentials in it for the day. [just a three compartment fanny pack type thing]
    I also use it to hunt grouse in the mountains and doves and it will hold a box or two of shot shells and a couple of bigger birds no problem.

if I am back pack deer or elk hunting I take a whole box of ammo because I'm gonna walk back in for a few days to a week and I will be mobile from there, so a few extra rounds may be needed.

Boolit Master
    Upland hunting they just go in my jacket/vest pocket with 3 more in my pants pocket. I too lost them out one time a ways from the truck. The 3 in my pocket let me keep hunting. I don't fool with the shell loops as I hunt with everything from 410s to 16 ga depending on my mood at the moment.
    Deer is just whats in the gun and the 3 in my pants pocket, sometimes if hunting with a single I'll have one in my jacket pocket.
    Doves is a box in my pocket and another in the truck in case I can't hit nuthin that day(the game is to limit out of one box,can be interesting with a 410)
    Last time I was Duck hunting they were in my vest pocket, and hey were lead loads, been a while!
    Squirrels.. If a 10-22 I carry another magazine, if something else I have 10 in my pocket + whats in the gun. LOTS more in the truck, never know when I may get attacked by tin cans of pine cones.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

"Moderator Emeritus"

No offense, but some of you seem to be going to a firefight, not a hunt. When hunting big game, I'll have a loaded magazine (4 rounds) and 6 in a butt-stock shell carrier and the same for coyotes, unless I'm carrying my AR, then I carry one spare 20 round mag. When hunting birds (I only hunt grouse and turkeys anymore) Two in the barrels and maybe 1/2 dozen in my jacket pocket for grouse. Turkey, 2 in the tube and 3 in my watch pocket, and one to top off the tube. Generally, I'll have a sidearm (Sig P220) and one spare mag, or my Redhawk (loaded 6 rounds) and a 6 round ammo wallet.
    Krag35

I have never met a dishonest dog.

Expatriate, in my own country.

These are all great guys, keep them coming!
    NRA Life Member
    Amvets life member

For handguns a plastic 50 and 100 rnd case-gard case's. Rifle, I collected a lot of rem + federal plastic shell holders I like them because the rounds stay solid and apart ( no noise when walking ) 10 rounds in each one. Shotgun, just dump the box in my vest pocket. ps was going to take pic. but got into cleaning the wife's 9mm.

Boolit Grand Master

For rifle hunting I load 3-4 in the rifle and keep 5 or so in my bag in case things get interesting. Ran out of rounds for my Contender on the Nail Ranch once but that's a story in itself. Seems I did a tactical reload on my 1911 on that trip as well. Revolver holds six and there's at least six more on my bag. Not much of a bird hunter but I'll drop a box into my vest and if I'm set up on a good dove field I'll have another box close by.
    Like Goodsteel I carry a pack with a drag strap and other stuff including a good knife, rope, flagging tape, flashlights, water and a compass.
    Last edited by TXGunNut; 03-23-2015 at 12:06 AM.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

When I hunt deer, I use a Contender 44 mag. I have one in the chamber, two in a tennis wristband, five in a side pocket of my backpack and the rest in my truck. That's about as high tech as I get.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wristbands.jpg  

Boolit Buddy
    Pockets have always worked for me.

Boolit Buddy
    Eastern Boulder Cnty,CO. Can be found shooting at GMSC. Erie
    Small little pocket of my swim shorts works well for those specials shells I pick-up on the rare occasions I go to the beach.
    For Cartridges when I am hunting; upland on the vest, big game hunting- two extra in front pockets pants and in the zippered jacket pockets two each, plus in a small 20 round wallet in the backpack. Shells do not work well against elk! Just making sure I am prepared if the elk herd attacks!
    When I sit down to look at my rifles in the safe.....
    I can very consistently shoot one inch groups at 100 yards.
    When I sit on the bench at the shooting range.....
    I always wish I was sitting down looking at my rifles in the safe.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123