Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWideners
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help identifying what these are?

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar

Need help identifying what these are?

Can anyone fill me in on what these 5 different threaded end “stems” are or what they go to?

I purchased a “lot” of reloading stuff from a fellow on fleabay (I wanted the dies). These “stems” were in with the lot. When they arrived in the box, a RCBS #2 shell holder was screwed on to the end of one of them. I don’t know if it “belonged” on it or if the threads matched and the guy screwed it on for some reason.

Off hand . . . these remind me of the push stems similar to the ones used on the Lee push through sizing dies – but threaded on the ends.. However, with the threaded ends, they would either have to screw in to the end of the ram or an adapter? The unthreaded ends are finish nicely and square to the shaft and appear to have been high quality when new. They show a little age but would be fully functional.

Dimensions of the 5 stems – taken with digital calipers - running top to bottom . . .

O.D. .297 O.A.L. 3.15
    O.D. .348 O.A.L. 2.92
    O.D. .393 O.A.L. 3.00
    O.D. .445 O.A.L. 3.27
    O.D. .497 O.A.L. 3.42

The O.D. of the threads measures approx.. .380 with my digital calipers so 3/8” fine threads????

I have no idea if these went with an old obsolete press or sizing die. And I have no idea if they were commercially made or something that someone made up in their own shop?

Any ideas? I’m hoping someone will recognize them. Thanks!

Frosted Boolits

They might be base punches for swaging. Can you screw them in from the top of the shell holder?
    My Feedback : http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...iscoyotehunter

An armed society is a polite society.

the BB knows

Boolit Buddy
    Case trimmer stems for use with a Lee trim arbor? The space at the bottom would allow the pilot?

No - they can't be screwed in to the shell holder from the top.

I also thought about the possibility of somehow being used in case trimming but I'm not that familiar with the various case trimmers. The tops of the stems (opposite the threaded ends) are finished pretty well so it leads me to think that they were used to "push".

Looking at the O.D. of them - I suppose the .297 is close to a 30 cal., the .348 to a 38/357, the .393 to a 40 cal., the .445 to a 45 cal. and the .497 to a 50 cal. (50-70?) ????

They have me stumped so hopefully someone will recognize them?

Thanks!

if the stud will screw in far enough to lock the case into the shellholder they might be used for case polishing by spinning the case in a drill
    Great minds discuss ideas
    Average minds discuss events
    Small minds discuss people

Quote Originally Posted by SODAPOPMG View Post
    if the stud will screw in far enough to lock the case into the shellholder they might be used for case polishing by spinning the case in a drill
    Then why the different OD's?
    For by grace are you saved through faith, and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God. Not of works, lest any man should boast. Eph. 2:8,9

Frosted Boolits

My guess is the original owner had a threaded ram and made these base punches for either bullet sizing or swaging. A simple piece of threaded rod could be used to screw in the ram and then screw the shellholder into that. This way thr press could be used for sizing/swaging or reloading. I bet there are more threaded shell holders somewhere LOL. Just my guess. Maybe I am over thinking it.

the BB knows

I was able to get in touch with the fellow I bought the reloading "lot" form to see if he knew what these went to. His reply was that he was hoping I could tell him as he didn't have a clue either.

Maybe these will go down as one of the "unsolved mysteries"!

Boolit Master
    I think you have them threaded together wrong way around. It appears that someone threaded the #2 shell holder to hold the punches, and the #2 was like the bottom of the Lee punches to fit it to the ram. I think it is for a push through sizer. There is probably some 7/8-14" all thread or bolt dies out there with corresponding holes in them.

Frosted Boolits

He stated the threaded rods can't be threaded in from the top of the shell holder.

the BB knows

Boolit Master
    Custom built Bohemian new-fangled reloading pressure rods.

OverMax . . . LOL . . . you may be right on that!

I at first thought the same thing texassake . . . but they can't be threaded in to the shell holder from the top side. I would imagine though that as well made as these are, if customer made, they guy who did it was fully capable of turning out an adapter to be placed in a ram like a shell holder.

I'll just throw 'em in with my misc. reloading things. They might come in handy if I ever have a customer push through sizer made as it would be easy enough to take an old shell holder and drill and tap it all the way through so they would screw in from the top side.

Some kind of jury rigged shell holder to use a vintage monster Herters press, Truline Jr., or other one of a kind press, maybe?
    Last edited by tomon; 03-11-2015 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Just babbling!
    NO APPLAUSE......JUST THROW MONEY!

Something to hold the case while you lead dip anneal, or to hold while rotating the case in front of a propane torch?

Just handles for various tapped shell holders. some maybe missing?

slide case in. invert over hot lead pot. dip. count to (your choice here) remove from pot. rotate side ways and roll till case falls free. (no burned mittens that way). Slide in another case repeat.

like a home brew version of this little thang.
    Just using what bar stock he had on hand at the time, and getting a bit artistic with later versions.. lol

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HolderBx150.jpg 
Views:	308 
Size:	3.7 KB 
ID:	133580

That's just my 2cent guess

Frosted Boolits

These look to be made specifically for a certain application. Notice they all have the same diameter shoulder above the threads? At least it looks that way from the pic. If they were used merely as a holder why the different diameters and why take the time to machine the shoulders?

the BB knows

Boolit Buddy
    I could be totally wrong, but maybe they were made for that old herters primer pocket swage die. A rod was adjusted to support the brass if I remember correctly.

Here is My 2
    Possibly they were used in a "bullet pulling" application.

Good Shooting

Lindy

Boolit Master

Perhaps we're looking at it wrong. Perhaps they are push thru rods for sizing dies and they are developed to be used with the shell holder inverted. And attached to another piece.
    Just my wild donkey guess.

Boolit Buddy
    I went through my Herter catalog, nothing. If they were hollow they would be identical to a drop tube. I checked the primer pocket swage, there was a mention of the anvil/rod but the rod(s) were not included in the picture.

F. Guffey

Boolit Grand Master

I followed those 3 lots with the same curiosity. Just not enough to bid.
    Glad you needed the rest of the mystery purchase.