RepackboxLee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders JerkyLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading

Thread: rebore 24/47 to 9.3mm

rebore 24/47 to 9.3mm

I have been thinking about getting JES to take my 24/47 out to 9.3mm, and rechambering it to 9.3X62. The goal is a good tough as nails hunting rifle that will shoot cast well and feed out of the magazine. Probably add a Lyman receiver sight and a post front, but keep most of it as issued. I have a great NOE 230gr. 35 cal. Ranch Dog mould that would be perfect to paper patch up to 9.3mm, and lots of 30-06 cases to make brass out of. Anybody do one like this? I know there are lots of sporters out there, but I sort of like the rough tough look - can't hurt it, but a good barrel inside.

-Nobade

Boolit Master

I would do it, sounds cool. Like those tough as nails rifles. New bore, bring life back to a surplus rifle. No brainer to me, and you are already geared.
    When you read the fine print you get an education
    when you ignore the fine print you get experience

Boolit Master
    I doubt that a 24/47 receiver , Box magazine or Bolt stroke is compatable with that long of a round.
    Remember, the Yugo's are a Mid Length action that is 1/4" shorter than the standard Model 98.
    I did make a 24/47 in a 25-06, but I couldn't go to the 25-06 "Improved" because the Improved could use Longer Bullets, and they exceeded the Max length on the magazine.
    Why make a rifle in a different caliber , that will not shoot the full range of bullets to get the full potential out of that caliber.
    Even the 30-06 is too long for the Yugo Action, even if you modify the magazine.

BUT
    the action is Perfect for the .358 Winchester, or maybe the .450 Marlin if you modify the bolt face for the .450.
    Even the M-98 has to be made to take and feed the -06 length cartridges.
    The magazine box has to be lengthened by 1/8" if it was originally chambered in 8mm.
    And why, Re-Bore, why not just Re-Barrel
    Last edited by LAGS; 03-08-2015 at 11:41 AM.

I too am in favor of the rebarrel, I did a 98 mauser in 9.3mm x 62mm Mauser it was not my plain in the beginning but it has turned out to really take a liking for cast boolits from an Accurate mold. I get PPU brass from Graph and sons. I am not sure that barrel is thick enough to bore out another 1.3mm .

I hear ya, I was opting for a rebore because it's cheaper than a barrel blank and I don't have to move the sights over. Lazy I suppose. But if I went with a new barrel I would go 9.3x57 or 358 win, because of the better fit in the magazine. I don't have a reamer for either of those, so that's more money but it would probably work out better in the long run.

-Nobade

Boolit Master
    First, let me say I like the 9.3's 57 & 62. But if you don't REALLY want a 9.3 of some type, then I would go with the 358 Win. Dies are cheap, reformed GI 308 is even cheaper and there are plenty of used molds around (and you can ever shoot handgun boolits in 'em). If you can get the old barrel off yourself then cost will probably be about a wash between new barrel, reamer, etc and a rebore.

Now, if you have your heart set on a 9.3 then I would sell your current rifle and mosey on over to the Simpson's website. Lots of 9.3's there (gotta be quick on the 9.3x62's) and they would be a less expensive option in the long run.....plus you have what is IMHO a truely classic rifle.

Just an opinion.

I have two 358 rifles, but no 9.3s. And yes, I have been paying attention to Simpson's - some of those are quite a good deal. Aah, choices....

-Nobade

I just looked at Simpsons and they have literally hundreds of Husky rifles mostly 9.3x57, 8x57, 6.5x55 and 9.3x62, but really you should be able to find something that would fill your bill and with prices from $200 to $350 you'd have to get up early to do better.

Most all of them had mediocre wood but a Boyd's stock would solve that problem for <$100. If you got one with a good bore, you'd actually have something that would probably be a good shooter for less than you could build or modify another gun.

I've wanted a 9.3 x57 M46 Husqvarna for along time, and there were plenty to choose from.

My .02

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

I have a bull barrel 9.3x62 , parker and hale barreled vz24 I got a while ago, haven't tried cast in it yet

dh2, what mold are you using?

Boolit Bub
    9.3x57mmm is also an option, I vote potato thrower

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks for the Simpson's idea. I looked there - lot of options if I want to get into the 9.3's (!!). Does anybody know what scope rings those side mount rigs take?
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!