WidenersInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyPBcastcoLoad DataLee Precision
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Inherited my Dad's 30-30....

Boolit Buddy

Inherited my Dad's 30-30....

....a Marlin 336. No, Dad's not gone but he'll be 90 this month and not going to shoot anymore. He brought it to me about a year ago.

None of my sons or I can get this gun to shoot consistently. Factory rounds don't shoot particularly well. My reloads which are: LEE 309-170 GC bullet & 25gr of 3031 don't shoot well either. He hadn't shot it for quite awhile & I thought maybe it got some rust in the rifling but it certainly looks good to me. Anyone have an observation about what I might try next?

Muzzle Crown ok?
    no obvious bore bulges or rings?
    sighting system solid?
    Are projectiles shooting some sort of group or really obviously unstable like yawing with oblique impacts?
    ars longa, vita brevis

What are you sizing at?
    If you think your a hammer everything looks like a nail.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by sthwestvictoria View Post
    Muzzle Crown ok?
    no obvious bore bulges or rings?
    sighting system solid?
    Are projectiles shooting some sort of group or really obviously unstable like yawing with oblique impacts?
    No apparent problems here. The shots are all over the place, but bullets are not tumbling or anything like that.

Quote Originally Posted by freebullet View Post
    What are you sizing at?
    I am not sizing these bullets. Not discounting that, but I don't size my 45/70 bullets either that I shoot out of my 1895. One difference besides caliber is that the 30-30 has the micro groove rifling, the 45/70 has ballard. Don't know if that has any significance..

Boolit Grand Master

Take a look at the NOE Ranch Dog 311-165 boolit. Michael (Ranch Dog) developed this design for the unique demands of Marlin rifles and the large meplat makes it a great hunting design as well.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

I have good luck with that boolit in my 336. Try a different powder and work it up. You will find something it likes. Given there are no issues with the rifle.

Boolit Master
    Frankly I'm more into winchesters than Marlin. But are you absolutely sure the old timers rifle is a 30-30 and not a 32-Special?
    As I recall Marlin 30-30s do require at least a .310 cast usually to snug up against that micro grove rifling of there's.

Your next step. Scaling!!> powder weight changes> Min to Max. 3 to 5-rd made up for each powder weight change. Sooner or later you'll find its sweet spot with that effort.

In Remembrance

If you have a scope on it, check it out. It may have a broken crosshair that is moving around on you. That would account for what you are describing. I had one do that to me. Couldn't hit a bull in the you know where until I replaced the scope.
    Last edited by aspangler; 03-08-2015 at 02:46 PM.
    Tennessee Hunter Education Instructor

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to
    restrain the people; it is an instrument for the
    people to restrain the government-lest it come to
    dominate our lives and interests"
    Patrick Henry

Boolit Master
    Check the rifle for loose screws or other parts that may be worn/loose/damaged.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by JSnover View Post
    Good point. Start with a thorough cleaning and a good visual check. If it has a scope may want to swap it with a known good scope.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master

I just went through this with my Mossberg 30-30. Shoot 1 round and let it cool. Repeat! Take some other guns with you to entertain while you do it but it works. Was driving me crazy, I would get a load that would shoot fantastic only next trip be all over the place, but would shoot great once the barrel heated up. So, Slow way down and shoot, cool and repeat. And see if that helps. You can fire like three at a time but it takes longer to cool in between.

Boolit Master

Great advice from others too.

Boolit Master

One load with one powder is not a test for precision.

I had a 8X57 that one grain of powder difference went from really good group to scattered all over the 8.5X11 target sheet.

Thorough cleaning fore shooting the cast?
    How about boolit diameter?

So many variables still left untested it seems.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by OverMax View Post
    Frankly I'm more into winchesters than Marlin. But are you absolutely sure the old timers rifle is a 30-30 and not a 32-Special?
    As I recall Marlin 30-30s do require at least a .310 cast usually to snug up against that micro grove rifling of there's.

Your next step. Scaling!!> powder weight changes> Min to Max. 3 to 5-rd made up for each powder weight change. Sooner or later you'll find its sweet spot with that effort.
    Yes, I am certain it's a 30-30. I gave it to Dad for his 65th birthday.

Quote Originally Posted by aspangler View Post
    If you have a scope on it, check it out. It may have a broken crosshair that is moving around on you. That would account for what you are describing. I had one do that to me. Couldn't hit a bull in the you know where until I replaced the scope.
    No scope, aperture sight & front blade...shooting results at only 50 yds.

Quote Originally Posted by JSnover View Post
    Again, this rifle has seen so little action ever...Dad always wanted a 30-30 for the nostalgia of it but hardly ever shot this gun. It was almost like new condition when he turned it over to me last year.

Quote Originally Posted by kungfustyle View Post
    I just went through this with my Mossberg 30-30. Shoot 1 round and let it cool. Repeat! Take some other guns with you to entertain while you do it but it works. Was driving me crazy, I would get a load that would shoot fantastic only next trip be all over the place, but would shoot great once the barrel heated up. So, Slow way down and shoot, cool and repeat. And see if that helps. You can fire like three at a time but it takes longer to cool in between.
    OK, I'll give this a try.

Boolit Master

My 336 liked the Lyman 31141.
    Your Lee bullet is a virtual clone of that Lyman mold.
    Size it .311 and lube with 50/50 allox/beeswax.

Mine liked 26 grains 3031.
    With a Williams 5D receiver sight, it would put them all in a three inch circle at 100 yards.

Your barrel has had about a zillion jacketed bullets through it.
    Be sure it is cleaned until there is no more copper fouling in there.

Use a bore solvent that specifically targets copper and clean it until there is no blue/green on your patches.
    PS: If you use a bronze brush you will never get a perfectly white patch but it will still be clean enough.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by williamwaco View Post
    My 336 liked the Lyman 31141.
    Your Lee bullet is a virtual clone of that Lyman mold.
    Size it .311 and lube with 50/50 allox/beeswax.

Mine liked 26 grains 3031.
    With a Williams 5D receiver sight, it would put them all in a three inch circle at 100 yards.

Your barrel has had about a zillion jacketed bullets through it.
    Be sure it is cleaned until there is no more copper fouling in there.

Use a bore solvent that specifically targets copper and clean it until there is no blue/green on your patches.
    PS: If you use a bronze brush you will never get a perfectly white patch but it will still be clean enough.
    Well I doubt very much that Dad shot alot of j-bullets, as I indicated he hardly shot this gun at all. BUT, per your suggestion, I have used Barnes CR-10 (I think it is) and there is no trace of any lead or copper fouling. I also used the bronze brush, and you are also correct - cannot get a white patch out of it now but the bore shines as bright as can be. At least, this is in my estimation.

Guess I'll have to step up my reloading game and get some sizing dies as this is an area I haven't gone yet. Didn't really want to invest in a sizer per se....do I understand you can just buy the die(s) and install on your reloading press?

Lee push thru dies are cheap. In my research I've found most claim the best luck with .310 followed by .311.

As others mentioned a different powder might be better. Everyone reports 2400 provides good results if you can find any.

If you can't get a clean patch the bore is not clean.
    If you think your a hammer everything looks like a nail.

Boolit Master

Buy a Lee Sizer die and you should be fine for an affordable sizer setup. Read up on Lee Alox lubrication and then match the bullet size to meet the Marlin Micro-groove barrel.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Master

If you want to experiment with light loads with fast powder you can't beat Unique or Herco.

My TC 23" Heavy barrel does one to one and one quarter inches at 100 yards with your lee bullet and 9 grains Unique. Sized .311 and lubed with LLA.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by bruce drake View Post
    Buy a Lee Sizer die and you should be fine for an affordable sizer setup. Read up on Lee Alox lubrication and then match the bullet size to meet the Marlin Micro-groove barrel.
    Got a quick reference point or link to proper bullet sizes for M-G barrels? I do have some LLA in my reloading cabinet.

Quote Originally Posted by williamwaco View Post
    If you want to experiment with light loads with fast powder you can't beat Unique or Herco.

My TC 23" Heavy barrel does one to one and one quarter inches at 100 yards with your lee bullet and 9 grains Unique. Sized .311 and lubed with LLA.
    I have plenty of Unique but no 2400 as mentioned by someone else.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast