Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingWidenersTitan Reloading
Load Data Inline Fabrication

Thread: 3006 cast bullet loads

Boolit Buddy

3006 cast bullet loads

Any favorite loads for 03 Springfield? Also what die do you use to bell the mouth?

Do you have any specific molds in mind?

Boolit Grand Master

You need to be more specific regarding molds, powder(s) available, vols desired, etc.
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Buddy
    Lyman 173 gr gc

In Remembrance

You can use either a Lyman "M" die 30 long, or use a small pair of needle nosed pliers to make the bell on the mouth.Robert

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I use the RCBS cast bullet expander and HM2.312-160-5 with 8.4 grains of Bullseye, no GC as a plinker and 40 grs. IMR4064, with gascheck for 2200 fps hunting load and to cycle my Garand.

Attachment 132951Attachment 132952
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master

Twelve grains of Unique works well, along with 19grs of IMR SR4759. I use the Lyman M die to bell the cases. If the chamber throat is way oversized one can leave a little of the bell in the mouth to help center the case in the throat. Too much bell left can cause feeding problems so it is trial and error.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by weasel 21 View Post
    Lyman 173 gr gc
    Not trying to put you off here but your 1st question was like asking; "Any favorite tires for a Ford?"

Your answer to which mould narrows it a bit but using the mould number is better. In this case I assume you mean the Lyman 311041?

Most will use the Lyman M-die (.30 long or .31 long), and RCBS case mouth expander (similar to the M-die) or the Lee Universal case mouth expander. There are also a plethora of expedient methods....a "search" should reveal numerous of those.

Next, as 1Shirt mentions, it would be helpful to know the intended use and expected velocity. The Lyman #4 Cast Bullet Handbook and the Lyman 49th Reloading Handbook have numerous loads for that bullet in the '06. I've used that bullet a considerable amount in numerous '06s including M1903s. I've loads for small game and plinking (1150 fps) to medium velocity/range loads to HV (2250 fps) loads for hunting.

You'll get a lot more and better answers if you provide us with a bit more info on your experience and what you want the load for. Again, not putting you off just trying to help.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Buddy
    My 03 likes any cast boolit from 165 grs to 200 gr cast from linotype using 35.0 grs 4895 + poly shot buffer.

Boolit Master
    Favorite load for my 1903A3 rifle is;
    NOE 312299 with GC .310"
    32.5 Varget
    Tuft of Dacron

Lyman M die for belling

Boolit Buddy
    Im having a huge problem setting up my Lyman M die . Im doing exactly what lymans instruction sheet says & im getting collapsed cases etc. Tips on using the m die & proper setup.

Boolit Bub

I bell 30-06 brass with the Lyman M die.
    You should bell very little - just enough to see it and so that the bullet will enter the case about 1/8 inch with your fingers.
    I'm guessing if you back out your die the collapsed case problem will disappear.
    This assumes the die is the correct caliber?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by weasel 21 View Post
    Im having a huge problem setting up my Lyman M die . Im doing exactly what lymans instruction sheet says & im getting collapsed cases etc. Tips on using the m die & proper setup.
    How abut telling us what you're actually doing? You may think you're doing what the instructions say but obviously you're not.

Larry Gibson

Hymn.... I use the 30 cal Lyman M die for my 30-06 stuff and I can't say I have ever collapsed a case with it. It is very easy to get the noble beginnings of turning one inside out. If you are crushing the case I the first thing I would think is some sort of miss-alignment.

The advise about making sure you have the right tool is sound but if that checks out I would start by pulling the actual expander out and measuring it. Then back it out all the way and screw it back in on a raised ram with a case in the shell holder. If you go slow I would think you will soon find the answers you seek.

Boolit Buddy
    I have found that with the 31M die it is easy to collapse the mouth of the case. I have to jiggle the case slightly and then the mouth gets centered. It is easy to tell, either it feels like you have hit the case mouth or the case starts sliding with moderate resistance. Sometimes it takes a couple of trys: run the case up, till it touches, move is slightly, back the case down slightly and then back up, success. Getting the depth correct so the second step is used takes a few passes. I start with the shellholder about 0.2" farther from the bottom of the die than the length of the first step when the case just touches the bottom of the mandrel. Size the case and check the mouth diameter. Screw the mandrel deeper in 1/8 turn increments till you are happy.

Dave