RepackboxInline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Load DataTitan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Reloading Everything

Thread: .357 Magnum MAX loads using cast boolits

Banned

.357 Magnum MAX loads using cast boolits

Does anyone here load .357 Magnum at very high velocities and pressures, say 1500fps with a 158gr, using cast boolits? If so, are the boolits gas checked? How is accuracy?

Boolit Master
    What are you wanting to shoot them in? Blackhawk Rugers and Contenders come to mind when shooting those kind of loads.

Banned
    Just a S&W 386 Hunter XL (Scandium L frame, 7 shot).

Moderator Emeritus

When I push them that fast they get checks. Rossi 92 carbine.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Can you get there safely? Top loads that actually get to 1500+fps I have in books are usually tested in a universal receiver with no gap using jacketed. 1400s maybe right at max loads of something like 110/296, Lil'Gun, or AA9. I hardly get the old 358156 anymore these days because of the gas checks. I may not run them at 1500 fps, but top listed loads of the powders I have on hand are 40k pressure and don't lead.

Boolit Grand Master
    Yup, Lyman 358156 WW alloy, gas checked, Lil'Gun, CCI 550 primers, well over 1500 fps. in a 6" barrel.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Banned
    Self Banned I exceed my own RPM threshold
    I get best accuracy in all of my various 357 revolvers as well as a few contenders at about 11-1300 fps. I have shot some deer with them loads and none of them ever refused to die because I was not going 1500 fps. In fact some of the slowest loads with softer bullets seemed to actually kill the deer faster than the harder alloys that were required to accurately achieve the higher speeds. I firmly believe in the "dwell time" theory, several million buffalo did too.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 454PB View Post
    Yup, Lyman 358156 WW alloy, gas checked, Lil'Gun, CCI 550 primers, well over 1500 fps. in a 6" barrel.
    DITTO except I use 2400
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Master
    I don't know anything about Scandium frames, but my question would be can it handle that kind of pressure?

Boolit Grand Master

I've only shot 357 magnum that fast once, and the man who owned the gun and made the loads is Cbrick on this forum. You might PM him and ask his opinion.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Moderator Emeritus

I shot a number of top loads in the .357 with WW296 at max. listings, and they tended to lead the barrel of my gun, an old M-19 Smith and it had a very smoothly rifled bore. For some unknown reason, 2400's top loads didn't lead nearly as much. This was with PB bullets I'd cast, and they were 158 SWC's and some 168's. The 168's leaded a bit less than the 158's, and again, I'm not sure why. Maybe the square base of the 168???? I dunno. Anyway, that's what I got, but I've learned stuff since then. Back then, I was a poor married college kid with a wife and kid and up to 3 jobs simultaneously, and mostly shot free WW's 'cause that's all I could afford. Better alloy, less hurried casting, etc. MAY (?) improve those results, as might a different lube. Was using Lee alox sticks back then. Have a new Ruger .357 that I plan to try soon. This info is old, and FWIW?
    Last edited by Blackwater; 03-24-2015 at 08:56 AM.

bhn22
    Quote Originally Posted by 454PB View Post
    And since I have all these things on hand, now I have to try it.

Boolit Master
    Different revolver, but I'm about 1,500 fps. with a 220 gr. GC boolit. It does have a 9-1/2" barrel, and the load runs about 45,000 Psi. Accuracy at last outing was right at an inch at 50 yards. No leading whatsoever. Believe it or not, alloy is 50/50 WW-Pb air cooled. Bhn about 10.

Boolit Master

I wouldn't use full boogie loads in a scandium (aluminum alloy) frame for a couple of reasons...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dubber123 View Post
    Different revolver, but I'm about 1,500 fps. with a 220 gr. GC boolit. It does have a 9-1/2" barrel, and the load runs about 45,000 Psi. Accuracy at last outing was right at an inch at 50 yards. No leading whatsoever. Believe it or not, alloy is 50/50 WW-Pb air cooled. Bhn about 10.
    Are you sure you're not talking about .357 Maximum? I'm talking about .357 Magnum.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbopanda View Post
    Does anyone here load .357 Magnum at very high velocities and pressures, say 1500fps with a 158gr, using cast boolits? If so, are the boolits gas checked? How is accuracy?
    My opinion; as far as accuracy goes.
    High velocity in a lightweight handgun in not conducive to accuracy.
    You may get acceptable accuracy out to 50 yds but not beyond that.
    Anyone who is good with a handgun will tell you, consistent grip and sight picture is the key to good shooting.
    Last edited by Hickory; 03-11-2015 at 10:23 AM.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Using the Lee 158 LSWGC, unchecked, over 17.0 Lil Gun I get 1341 fps from my 4" Smith 66. No leading and no signs of excessive pressure. I tried this same load and bullet combo with the gas checks and didn't find any difference in accuracy or leading, so I nixed the GC's.