Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackboxInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pewter find: Melt or Keep?

Question Pewter find: Melt or Keep?

Found this piece at a local goodwill along with some other items. 3 pounds for 10.00. Not sure if this piece is worth anything but the rest is fodder. Thoughts?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pewter1.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	58.3 KB 
ID:	133140Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pewter2.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	49.2 KB 
ID:	133141Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pewter3.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	55.2 KB 
ID:	133142Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pewter4.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	43.3 KB 
ID:	133143Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pewter5.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	54.5 KB 
ID:	133144
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Boolit Man
    Keep it for your favorite quaff , to slake your thirst while slaving over a hot smelting pot, at least till the zombies start showing up. Looks like it is good shape and has some interesting stamps, might be worth investigating.

Boolit Master
    Not sure if their worth any more than their weight in tin. I found a piece that looks like a church collection plate of pewter. Looks very old and is stamped in late 1700's . Weighs 7 pounds. Im holding off melting it but havent found anything at all on it concerning value. Someone will chime in soon im betting.

Boolit Master
    Made in 2003 for Annheiser-Busch. Hmmmm-PUDDLE TIME!!

Boolit Buddy
    If it were mine it would be in the mix.

I should get a life I recognized the Annheiser-Busch logo way to quickly.

I'm not so sure it should be a puddle, beer memorabilia does sometimes have some value, I'm guessing those steins might not be too common. Expensive brand marketing items did not get purchased nearly as often. And really nice ones may have been given to a limited number of people as swag at an event.

If you can't find one like it on eBay then it is rare (or somewhat rare) so probably worth holding onto. Or put it up on eBay with a $35 buy it now. See if your sucker was already born and has internet access.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master

When I find something which may have more value, I offer it for sale. No takers, I don't feel bad about keeping it as an ingot. IME not much brings over pewter ingot value, though I have sold a couple of Steiff Colonial Williamsburg items. They don't all sell that way though.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I sure WOULD keep it!!!!!! That well marked it is not your ordinary run-of-the-mill food service ware.

Use to drink my favorite sudzzzzz out of. I would definitely add it to my collection of drinking tools.

Boolits are not worth THAT much. Get some Sn other places.

banger

Boolit Mold
    Personally I would put it on the shelf, you could always smelt it later. I searched ebay and found two identical mugs listed with asking prices of $35 and $47. If they sell for those prices are anybody's guess. I found some recent sales of the same mug with offers less than the asking prices of $26 and $28.

Boolit Buddy
    It has to be really beaten up before I will melt it. I am just an old softie, I guess.

On the other hand, I once cut up a really nice M98 to make a sporter. I really regret doing that, but it is a useful rifle.

It's TIN how much can it be worth. I would melt it when I needed it, but not 1 second before.

Boolit Master
    It looks like it should be put back to work doing the job it was made for!

You could always have a change of heart and smelt it ........... it's hard to bring it back from the ingot ......... easy to put it in an ingot later!

Look for tin in other places and save this one for "fun" and recreational hydration purposes!

A real "squire" you'll be a swiggin' down your favorite stuff in that one I say!

Best regards

Three 44s

I've got plenty of pewter for now. It stays as is, in my china cabinet as decor....for now Thanks for the suggestions all!

Boolit Master

Melt IMHO

Boolit Master

Thumbs down

in the mix it's Clydesdale :takinWiz:
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master

I picked up about 8 pounds this weekend at the thrift stores paid about $11.
    "If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by 500MAG View Post
    I picked up about 8 pounds this weekend at the thrift stores paid about $11.
    Well done! I love visiting thrift stores with my wife. She likes to browse and I get brownie points for going along (always keeping an eye out for pewter or cast iron or ladles or hot plates or possible ingot molds or .......)

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudwraith View Post
    Well done! I love visiting thrift stores with my wife. She likes to browse and I get brownie points for going along (always keeping an eye out for pewter or cast iron or ladles or hot plates or possible ingot molds or .......)
    I do get some weird looks if anyone catches me with my battery powered digital scale getting a weight on pewter items. I guess most of the shoppers hold them up and look at them. Who knew?
    Nice thing about winter scale fits in my jacket pocket.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
    I do get some weird looks if anyone catches me with my battery powered digital scale getting a weight on pewter items. I guess most of the shoppers hold them up and look at them. Who knew?
    Nice thing about winter scale fits in my jacket pocket.
    I have a digital pull scale with a hook. I can hang things from it to get weight. Small and cheap (china for about $5)

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudwraith View Post
    I have a digital pull scale with a hook. I can hang things from it to get weight. Small and cheap (china for about $5)
    I went with one of the HF digital scales that can run off of batteries, but did look at those hanging weight scales too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast