Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Load DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 40 pound casting pot

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by happy7 View Post
    I don't think it will take very long once we decide there is enough interest to proceed. I want one of these myself.
    Get a quality prototype model on here with lots of photos and you will be swamped with orders !
    Interest will not be a problem at that price !

Jerry
    S&W .38/44 Outdoorsman Accumulator

Boolit Mold
    What they said. Show me something to give me the warm and fuzzies and I am ready to send you a deposit. And I would suggest you speak to service after the sale.
    SAS is a key feature of the RCBS Pro Melt and Magma Master Pot.
    Last edited by Spillway; 03-30-2015 at 01:40 PM.

Boolit Mold
    I am interested in one. Look forward to seeing a prototype.
    Charlie Waggoner

Boolit Buddy
    I love my Magma Pot but did do a modification to the mold guide. With that change I can't imagine what additional changes of a substantive nature would really be useful. I've had the Master Pot for a little less than a year but had a Cast Master 90lb pot since the late 1980's. I know each is top quality but frankly don't know if there are different grades, excluding Lee, of quality or if it's primarily a matter of capacity.

I would be interested to know from anyone with a real knowledge of the different brands.

Will your pot actually hold 40# of lino? What will the dimensions of the inside of the pot be? Why no responce to a ladle version?

Frank

Boolit Master

I'd be interested in a ladle-dipper version. I have a 20 lb Waage, which I love to death, but even it has trouble keeping up with big, multi-cavity moulds.

Boolit Master

Yes, it will be sized to hold 40+ pounds of lino. If we do this, I would offer a ladle only version. I have talked to my partner. We had thought there would be more interest in this. With around a dozen interested so far we aren't sure it is worth the investment in development.

Boolit Buddy
    Show us more of your plans for the design with pictures or drawings and I'm sure more of the members will be interested

I actually think there has been pretty good responce. I've started a few group buy discussions, some got VERY little responce, like 1 or 2 replys. You've got two pages. Some bullet mold GB's take years between the time it's talked about, until it's in someones hands.

This isn't the only place that people come to that shoot cast bullets, although it's a popular one.

One thing that you have to keep in mind, on this forum is that most people, get into cast bullet shooting because of cost. I think your price point is about 25% high for a start up product, especially when you can buy 2 new Lee 20# pots for $140 or less. You can actually buy almost 6 Lee's for $400.

Many people buy high end products because they are a well know brands in the field that they are to be used and have built a reputation for quality and reliabilty and customer service. That takes a while to establish and the price point can move up with it.

A "hook" also helps, like "The only furnace with XXXXX available".

I assume this will be a part time operation? If so, you will have a financial cushion while building the product.

I'm a machine shop owner (retired now but, still have my machinery) and have sold race car parts of my manufactor in the past. Very few products "take off" as soon as they are advertized and usually a year to just break even and then the profit starts from there, usually not near as fast as you'd like.

I'd suggest that you get a FIRM handle on the material costs, then add 100% to that for a retail price point to start out with. If you can't supply all the parts for less than $125, you have a very up hill climb to have a good profit margin.

Those are my thoughts on it, from someone that has manufactored products and sold them, too.

Frank

Boolit Buddy
    Yep, Im interested.

Boolit Bub
    I would be interested.

To get more interest I think a more solid plan on price, design and time frame would help. At this point it just like an idea.

Boolit Master
    I'm interested. TJ

Boolit Master

If you had planned on making a living making 40 pound pots, I think you can forget it. If you just wanted to make a few for yourself and was hoping to do a couple dozen more to recoup your time and effort, then it might work out OK. IMHO

Cast Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by happy7 View Post
    With around a dozen interested so far we aren't sure it is worth the investment in development.
    As far as interest level, this was posted about a month ago, but I just now saw the thread (How many folks aren't yet aware of this potential project?). I'm sure there will be plenty of interest once properly advertised. And yes, I am interested as well.
    Boone and Crockett Club member
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

interested. would like to see prototype or drawings

Boolit Mold
    Interested also keep us informed please.

Boolit Master

I also have just noticed the thread...have flirted with the idea of making something along these lines but always chicken out...user ready at that price point, I'm interested.
    Ruger RedHawk 357 Mag 44 Mag GP100 Davidson Exclusive 5" Security Six 2 3/4", Speed Six 4"
    Smith Wesson 629 PP and 686 PP, 617

Boolit Buddy
    Interested.

Boolit Master

So is this a dead project?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GLL View Post
    Get a quality prototype model on here with lots of photos and you will be swamped with orders !
    Interest will not be a problem at that price !

Jerry
    I agree... a prototype would be your best selling tool.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast