MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWidenersReloading Everything
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Repackbox
PBcastco Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Pulling Bullets

Boolit Master At Heavens Range 2008 Swagerman's Avatar
    Its gotta be a Hollywood press, boy, look at that shell holder station...the round disk holds four different shell holders.

Wonder what one of those beast would cost...love to have one.

Jim

Moderator Emeritus

Thor, are these caliber specific or do they fit a range of diameters? Gianni
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Hate to hijack this thread, will post answer on the Hollywood thread.

I use an RCBS collet-type bullet puller--the kind that threads into a loading press. No damages to cases or bullets--provided that the bullet in question is of the jacketed variety. On the other hand, cast bullets will slip right out of the collet. To pull a cast bullet, I've found that the technique described by other posters who are using nippers and a loading press is the way to go--only when I had to do this once, I used a pair of vise grips, instead of nippers, in the same fashion. You'll need to melt the pulled bullets down and recast them, though.

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    Thor, are these caliber specific or do they fit a range of diameters? Gianni
    The bullet puller will pull virtually any caliber bullet, but I believe if you want to pull little bullets, 17 etc you need to let Gerry know because he started making them just a little different to grip the really small stuff.
    "let's go. He ain't hittin' nothin'.".... "You IDIOT, he's hit everything he's aimed at!"

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range 2010

pulling CAST bullets

try this:run the shell into full length sizer to end of bullet.then use puller[nips]
    I use Hornady lever puller for jacket and hammer for cast.I will try nipper next time.-----------
    WILDCATT

Boolit Buddy

Bullet Pulling - Cold Weld

Guys: I have both a hammer type puller, and an RCBS collet puller. If you try and pull jacketed loads that have been loaded for a long time watchout for COLD WELD!

Cold weld is the elecroletic action between two dissimilar metals. If the collet won't grip them hard enough to let you pull your bullets without slipping off you might need to use your seatiing die to seat the bullet just a touch deeper to break the cold weld loose.

I had to do this with some 20 year old Nosler Partion bullets seatred in the 7mm RM. You could hear and feel the "pop" as the cold weld broake loose. After that they pulled easily.

I have one of the Cabelas Hammer type

Problem is all my rubber bands fell apart, and the collets just do not like staying on?

Need to invest in a press puller?

Are all the hammer types ruber band powered?

Clint
    FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
    SEMPER FI

If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Wire stripers work good. Take your die out, run the cartridge up in the press with the shell holder, and then use the wire stripers/Cripers to grabe the bullet, and then pull the handle up. Pulls the bullet out well with little damege.
    BIC/BS Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by azcoyhunter View Post

Problem is all my rubber bands fell apart, and the collets just do not like staying on?

Clint
    Clint;

Swing by the local auto parts and check out their "O" ring selection. That's the "rubber bands" they use. Sorry, I don't have a pack to tell you the size but it should be something like 5/8"X1/2"X1/16". 1"X7/8"X1" works for Lyman 450 piston seals.
    Yance
    Fariview, NC

http://outawaysforge.wordpress.com/

http://www.thefcbg.org/

There's a fine line between "Hobby" and Mental Illness.

Quote Originally Posted by azcoyhunter View Post

Clint
    Throw away the collet that came with the hammer and just use a shellholder.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy_P View Post
    Throw away the collet that came with the hammer and just use a shellholder.

NO!!!

Please do not do that! Using a shellholder in an inertial puller can cause the round to go off while pulling it.

I had that very thing happen to me almost two years ago.

Here is a link to a thread I posted on another site after it happened. Please read the whole thread as it took some detective work.

I got my RCBS collet type puller in 1967 and the lock ring did not come with an allen type set screw,thus the body would turn inside the nut and it didnt work so well. Don't know if RCBS has corrected this,but I corrected mine by replacing the nut with one with the locking device and it now works like a champ on jacketed bullets. Doesnt do too well on cast, so I remove the die run the bullet up and grab on with vise grips as has been described and remelt the bullet as it will be ruined. The kinetic puller is a poor excuse for dumbells if you are trying to develop your body and other than exercise I dont have any use for them.

Well I endured about 25 posts of "Thank God you're ok", and finally came to your
    "research".

Please tell me how the use of the shellholder put that massive jagged indentation in the primer. Fact is you don't know and never will and can't admit that the use of the shellholder did not cause, nor contribute to the accident.

I'm guessing that you carelessly somehow got a large piece of debris wedged against the primer. I can assure you that I will not.

Anyways, now you've created another myth with all kinds of drama.

If I can use a shellholder to force a bullet into place over a full charge of powder and a live primer, then I can use the same shellholder to remove the bullet.

Thanks, but I'll continue using shellholders.

Quote Originally Posted by MtJerry View Post
    NO!!!

Please do not do that! Using a shellholder in an inertial puller can cause the round to go off while pulling it.

I had that very thing happen to me almost two years ago.

Here is a link to a thread I posted on another site after it happened. Please read the whole thread as it took some detective work.

Moderator Emeritus

Andy, The opinion on no shell holders for pullers seems to come into effect with multiple hits, perhaps a high primer and the cartridge moving to center the primer over the edge of the shell holder. I think it is a matter of caution and common sense. Gianni
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Gianni,

Yes, I've seen a number of threads on the subject, all of which seem to point back to the same incident (MtJerry's). If a high primer is a possible cause (and I sincerely doubt it was in this case or could be), then it's carelessness that's to blame and not the use of a shellholder. If the primer is properly seated then I see no possible way that the shellholder could set it off. The pictures provided clearly show a deep jagged indentation in the primer. I'd love to see an explanation of how the smooth surfaces of the shellholder caused that.

This is a classic example of how myths are started. "A bad thing happened to me when I was using a shellholder, therefore the shellholder caused it".

Boolit Buddy

I use a piece of 2 x 4 scrap, cut long enough- 1 end on floor strike other end afi

Quote Originally Posted by rmb721 View Post
    I use the hammer type. I put a couple cotton balls in the bottom so the bullet doesn't get damaged. The gas check usually comes off a cast boolit.

I hammer on concrete floor. Doesn't work on wood bench.

Next time, I will try with a shellholder.
    The 2x4 trick gives you a hard surface to strike with your inertia bullet puller on. A friend of mine called me up years ago and said his production press made XXXXnumber in an hour....problem was he ran out of powder somewhere in the run and had to pull 70 plus rounds...Moral to story it make good or bad loads real fast. Alot slower to pull the bad ones. Since then he added the primer warning alarm and powder alarm or what ever its called. afish4570

For sure using end grain (2X4 example sited) will give you a firmer area to strike and increase effectiveness. I use a section of about 7" diameter mesquite and with it's density I have a plenty firm area-----but still consider the hammer type puller as useless except for exercise.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy_P View Post
    Well I endured about 25 posts of "Thank God you're ok", and finally came to your
    "research".

Please tell me how the use of the shellholder put that massive jagged indentation in the primer. Fact is you don't know and never will and can't admit that the use of the shellholder did not cause, nor contribute to the accident.

I'm guessing that you carelessly somehow got a large piece of debris wedged against the primer. I can assure you that I will not.

Anyways, now you've created another myth with all kinds of drama.

If I can use a shellholder to force a bullet into place over a full charge of powder and a live primer, then I can use the same shellholder to remove the bullet.

Thanks, but I'll continue using shellholders.
    You are certainly entitled to your evaluation of the events I went thru. Please feel free to continue using your shellholder to pull bullets.

I simply posted this as a warning to others of what is possible when not using the correct equipment.

As a thought, rebounding blows of a case on a hard surface can cause primers to back out (inetia, loose primer pockets, etc). If there is something in it's way when it happens ... well I guess you'll just have to see for yourself.

Jerry

Boolit Master
    "The pictures provided clearly show a deep jagged indentation in the primer. I'd love to see an explanation of how the smooth surfaces of the shellholder caused that. " "A bad thing happened to me when I was using a shellholder, therefore the shellholder caused it."

Roger that, my friend. There is NO way a shell holder, with an empty, drilled out center for priming could have put that dent in the cap, something else caused it. The only significant impact when using those pullers correctly is straight down, away from the head/primer end of the case. It looks like the puller was hammered upside down onto a pile of scrap metal parts!

The photo and explaination shows a situation in which 2 + 2 has been made to equal 5, or more, and that's not possible.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast