Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingPBcastco
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load DataRepackbox
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Pulling Bullets

Boolit Buddy

Pulling Bullets

That chore has to be the worst. What is the best type of bullet puller? Is the impact method the fastest? Anybody try the Plier or Press Mounted system? Or is there another devise I've missed that will speed up the process? Have quite a stash of 45 ACP, 40 SW and 38 Special rejects that I need to pull. They are all cast bullets. I dont mind damaging the bullets. I'll just melt them back down. I have an impact puller but its like loading for the Steel Challange with a Lee Loader.

Marc

Moderator Emeritus
    Marc,

The collet type pullers work great with jacketed bullets. I have never tried them with cast... If you are willing to re-melt what you pull, then the pliers/wire cutters on the top of the press should be really quick.

The impact puller is about your only choice when you want to get wad cutters out

John

I have a RCBS collet type puller that works great on rifle rounds. I have never tried it on handgun bullets, but would assume equally good performance. Midway is a good source.

I threw out the old hammer a long time ago!

Speed and ok to damage boolit.......pliers or side cutters on top of your press.
    Semper Fi

This subject came up once before, and I'll offer the same advice I did before.

I've got both inertia and collet type pullers, which I use for jacketed bullets. For cast bullets, I prefer to pull them with end nippers, as this is the fastest.
    I do this by installing the proper shell holder in a press with no die, and raising the cartridge so the bullet protrudes above the press frame, grasp it with the nippers right at the case mouth, and lower the ram. The bullet pulls out with almost no damage, and the powder charge isn't spilled. I've had to throw away very few bullets, the slight marks are almost completely hidden when they're crimped back in.
    The only cartridges that will not work, are ones too short to protrude above the frame, and they can be done with extended shell holders.

The type of end nipper is important, it has to be the old farrier-style, not the shoemaker-type mostly seen. I've shown three in the photo below, the short red one in the center is the old one I've been using for many years to pull bullets. The one on the left is a new Diamond brand available in hardware and farm supply stores. The one on the right, is a modern Craftsman of the type that is not able to grasp the bullet, save it for pulling nails and cotter pins.
    Morgan

Pure genious Morgan, I've got over 1000 to pull and have put it off for years. Most are .45 long colt given to me of unknown lineage and I don't trust to shoot em, but sure want the hard to come by brass. Thanks for a very helpful post!

Boolit Master
    I've pulled cast rifle bullets with the RCBS collet puller; only problem is it leaves the gas checks seated in the case neck. I suppose an inertia-style puller might get that out. I shot a couple out - NOT something I'd recommend.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Grand Master
    Morgan's method works great, but be aware that the nippers can mar or even damage the female threads on the top of the press. I use a Lee turret for this purpose, and have it marked so that it is the only hole used. No sense in marring multiple turrets.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the replies. Im going to give the plier techique a try. I too have a Lee Turret press with an extra three hole. Thanks for the tip.

Marc

454PB, The nippers I'm using, don't touch the threads, they bear on the machined flat on the top of the press. All my single stage and turret presses are either cast iron or cast semi-steel.
    I agree with you, that when first trying this, it would be wise to make sure they aren't pressing on the threads, especially if the press is an aluminum or zinc alloy.
    As for damage, in the event that for any reason, the top portion of the thread is ever damaged, it can be returned to form by screwing a die in from the bottom, and out the top.
    It's poor design not to have a bit of relief where the threads meet the top of the press frame anyway, and if mine did, I would provide this relief with a taper reamer. This is to assure that the die lock nut, bears on the frame flat, not the threads.
    Morgan

The RCBS Hammer type puller works prety fast if you use a shell holder instead of the universal collet that comes with the puller. I tried it after somone else posted it on another forum. Works great.

tom

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Tom-n8ies View Post
    The RCBS Hammer type puller works prety fast if you use a shell holder instead of the universal collet that comes with the puller.
    I agree. Using a shellholder in the kinetic type bullet puller is easier and faster that the collet.
    Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms." (Federalist Paper #46) - James Madison

Heard on the street about our current POTUS: he is inebriated by the eloquence of his own verbosity...

Boolit Buddy
    I use the hammer type. I put a couple cotton balls in the bottom so the bullet doesn't get damaged. The gas check usually comes off a cast boolit.

I hammer on concrete floor. Doesn't work on wood bench.

Next time, I will try with a shellholder.
    NRA Endowment Member

Ye olde end nippers work well and you get to do more casting!!! I usually use a pair of surgical forceps to remove the gas check - push one side so the check turns 90 degrees and then grasp with forceps and pull. I also use the kinetic type with a peice of high density foam stuffed in the bottom to prevent damage but with cast boolits I return them to the pot and recast.
    Do, or do not. There is no try.
    Yoda

Here are pictures of the puller I use. You can get them from Royal Arms Gunstocks In Great Falls Montana. as you push a second bullet in, the first one is pushed through, The last bullet can be pulled through or left for later.

Boolit Grand Master
    Hey!, you know Jerry! He sold me one of those about 15 years ago, and it works great for jacketed, but I've never been able to pull a cast boolit with it.

Morgan, I learned of the nippers marking the top of the press while using them on my RCBS Rockchucker, that's why I started using the Lee Classic Turret.

I've owned probably 3 or 4 inertia bullet pullers, and ruined them all trying to pull cast boolits in revolver cartridges. Not only that, it usually ruins the brass to boot. In the bigger magnums, any time you can pull the boolit with an inertia puller...you have a problem with neck tension and crimp.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Boolit Master
    Mighty Thor, what in the world brand of press is that? I NEVER seen one that holey!!
    Thanks Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by 454PB View Post
    Hey!, you know Jerry! He sold me one of those about 15 years ago, and it works great for jacketed, but I've never been able to pull a cast boolit with it.
    I have pulled lead, but you won't reuse them, just put em back in the pot and start again.

Quote Originally Posted by joatmon View Post
    Mighty Thor, what in the world brand of press is that? I NEVER seen one that holey!!
    Thanks Aaron
    That is a Hollywood. see them here.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=25365

Banned
    Everytime I see a pic of one of them monsters...I somehow feel inadequate

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast