RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackboxInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyLoad DataLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Questions on Ben's Liquid Lube and the making of Ben's Red Bullet lube.

Boolit Grand Master
    I'm glad that I was a small help.

Many thanks,
    Ben

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    Ben some say that if you give a man a fish he eats for a day, teach him to fish he eats for a lifetime.
    I agree to a point but also understand that some refuse to learn to fish but still want to treat for a lifetime. At some point you need to let them starve if they refuse to fish.
    I always thought it was

"If you build a man a fire, you keep him warm for one night; but if you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life"

Truly, Ben, your patience is most impressive. In your shoes, I'd have probably started suggesting Cheez Whiz as an acceptable substitute for Lucas R&T.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Grand Master
    It has been much better in the past month or so.

Patience is a virtue.................

Ben

L Ross
    Ben, I want thank you for your work on these lubes. Here's a little story to brighten your day. My 14 year old neighbor young man just recently cast 300+ Lee 312-155-SP. He tumbled 50 at a time with 25 drops of BLL. After they dried, he pushed them through a Lee .311" sizer, installing Horn. checks at that time. He tumbled the sized and checked bullets a second time with 20 drops per 50. He prepped his own cases using a Lee collet sizer and a Lyman 31R M die. Came over to my range and fired them from his Tikka 30-06 into a 1.1"x.82" ten shot group at 77 yards. Velocity was probably 1,400 fps, absolutely no leading after firing 50 rounds.

Boolit Master

Ben
    I copied your lube and red to a file I can access anytime I need it. I PM'd you with a question about one item in your needs list. Finally found it and will continue to look for the rest then make some of my own. I am lazy and that is why I copy stuff and then print it so it right where I need it when I need it.
    thanks for doing all the research for me and now to just find all the makings and I will be a happy camper.
    Sometimes you need to keep looking for all the items and one day you might get lucky and find them.
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Boolit Grand Master
    Fantastic ! ! Thanks for sharing,

Ben

Boolit Buddy
    Bens Red is easy to make. First measure out the ingredients. I melted the beeswax in a stainless bowl. The bowl was warmed by a hot plate. I put a tc in the beeswax to keep the temp lower than 225. Then added the Red& Tacky to the liquid beewax. I stirred the two together. As the grease started to combine, I changed from a slotted spoon to a whisk. Then added Dexron. Then added JPW. Keep whisking and add the STP. Takes over 35 to 45 mins. Nice pink color. Keep the temperature up and steady. Try for 230 degrees. It seems easy.
    Now to try it. I did not have trouble with lumps.

Ed C

I just to thank Ben for every thing he has done for us all. I have learned so much from reading his post and from his wonderful photographs. I wish I could type as fast as my brain goes, so I could leave a nice long post telling Ben how much I REALLY APPRECIATE HIM.
    Start CASTING or get off the POT!

^
    Totally agree. 3 cheers for Ben! Hip Hip Hooray! Hip Hip Hooray! Hip Hip Hooray!

He very easily could have kept this info close, tried to make money from it.

BLL is fantastic and easy to make, especially for a moron like me. I love the convenience and ease of tumble lubing but I'm tempted to make some Ben's Red because I love the process almost as much as shooting.
    I love ugly guns and ugly bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by minmax View Post
    I just to thank Ben for every thing he has done for us all. I have learned so much from reading his post and from his wonderful photographs. I wish I could type as fast as my brain goes, so I could leave a nice long post telling Ben how much I REALLY APPRECIATE HIM.
    I'm with ya. Very good info in his posts. I'm not saying that there isn't others on here. But the things I've tried , that Ben has submitted has worked very well for me. I love Bens' Red. Hats off to you Ben.

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you Ben. Mixed up some of your Red yesterday. Easy to do, and looks like it will do the job. I stiffened it up a little with a bit more bees wax and jpw, maybe I din't need to, but it works great as a pan lube.

For me Ben's Liquid lube hits the same 1400 fps line as is described for gas checks, below it ok, above it gas checks are needed. That is exactly how I feel about Ben's Liquid lube and Ben's Red. Below 1400 fps BLL alone is fine, above that point Ben's Red in the grooves and a cover coat of BLL covers all my bases.

Really, best of both worlds in my opinion.

So go make it!

Quote Originally Posted by Ihsarah View Post
    BLL is fantastic and easy to make, especially for a moron like me. I love the convenience and ease of tumble lubing but I'm tempted to make some Ben's Red because I love the process almost as much as shooting.

Boolit Grand Master
    Fellows,

I'm thrilled that the 2 lubes are working well for all of you. Enjoy the Lubes ! !

Good Shooting to all of you,
    Ben
    Last edited by Ben; 07-30-2015 at 10:19 PM.

Hi Ben. Firstly, thank you for your contribution. I've only read the first page of your thread but at the end of that page I followed one of your links (the last one) and Eureka! I had not seen that thread before for some reason, even though I had done several searches for your particular recipe. But now that I have it ... !

Umm... can I use EXTREME Performance Grease with PTFE instead of Red N Tacky? It is red.

I'm going to do a search for the right stuff but I'm not overly confident of finding any here in New Zealand. Still, one never knows. All the other ingredients are readily available of course.

Thank's again.
    Last edited by 303Guy; 07-31-2015 at 02:51 AM.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Quote Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
    Hi Ben. Firstly, thank you for your contribution. I've only read the first page of your thread but at the end of that page I followed one of your links (the last one) and Eureka! I had not seen that thread before for some reason, even though I had done several searches for your particular recipe. But now that I have it ... !

Umm... can I use EXTREME Performance Grease with PTFE instead of Red N Tacky? It is red.

I'm going to do a search for the right stuff but I'm not overly confident of finding any here in New Zealand. Still, one never knows. All the other ingredients are readily available of course.

Thank's again.
    Red n Tacky is available every where in NZ. BNT sell it as do most high performance outlets.What is not available is Johnstons paste wax. I substitute carnauba wax . The colour ends up slightly darker but still works well. I use it on everything I shoot.
    The Bird of Time has but a little way
    To fly-and Lo! the bird is on the wing

Thanks, Driver man. I shall get some then. I thought I saw Johnson's paste wax at one of our mega store? I could be wrong but if caunarba works, then I only need the Red n Tacky. Do you use the same amount of carnauba?
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Thanks, Driver man. I shall get some then. I thought I saw Johnson's paste wax at one of our mega store? I could be wrong but if caunarba works, then I only need the Red n Tacky. Do you use the same amount of carnauba?
    I add carnauba at 1% more or less. If you can find JPW it would have been parallel imported as I sent them an email and they said NZ market was too small. Would be good if was available. I still have a small amount left from a can I bought in the 1980's.
    The Bird of Time has but a little way
    To fly-and Lo! the bird is on the wing

Boolit Grand Master

Thank's again.

Personally, I've never used the EXTREME Performance Grease with PTFE.

However, I would not be afraid to make a small quantity of it, ( simple math will let you reduce all the components in Ben's Red so you can make a smaller amount )

Test it and report back.
    I'd like to know the results.

Ben

i made the bll and it is Great! made the bens red the other day 2 weeks ago had some hi temp red grease and used it and only found carnuba wax so made some ,, worked great , recommend a good thrift store Teflon baking pan , and a good whisk , like to mix gravy to blend all the stuff together . poured in the baking pan let it cool and solidify @ 3 hours it shrinks just a little and pulls away from the side edges . cut into 1''x1''x4'' rectangles approx the size of my lubsizer ,Lyman #45 left just enough in my melting pot to pour when it cooled off some ,to fill my reservoir .... probably made 5 pounds for less than 1/5 the price of ready made lube just gotta say thanks Ben... good stuff
    To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.”
    ~George Mason

my feedback page:click and give me feedback here,below...

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show....php?p=1412368

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast