MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackbox
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wheel Weight BHN

Boolit Grand Master

Wheel Weight BHN

A few weeks go I smelted a pot of clip on wheel weights, maybe 300# or so. I just now checked one of the ingots and it measured .082 on my Cabine Tree tester, or between 13-14 BHN. I thought these were newer coww and was expecting a lower reading. These were air cooled and I got repeatable readings several times. These were also hand sorted, so I'm not expecting any zinc contamination. What are you Guys getting on yours? I am pretty sure that I'm reading the chart correctly.

Boolit Master

Sounds about right to me. I get around 12 -13 BHN normally, but they can vary a bit. The error on your tester is probably 1-2 +-, so I'd say your right on target.

Maybe you have a bit exta Antimony in that batch. Nothing wrong with that. It is a bonus!

DC-1
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits." - Albert Einstein

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I consider COWW's as 12 hardness. The CabinE is good...the CabinE is wise. Fast and accurate. At leaset close enough for what we do!

banger-j

I'm beginning to suspect that the companies still making lead WW's are recycling WW's contaminated with Zn.

I've given up on WW as a source of boolit alloy....I avoid it like the plague. Too many times I've gotten <50% yield out of WW and still had problems with the alloy. You can have it!

Jerry
    Buzzard's luck!! Can't kill nothin', nothin'll die!!

Boolit Man
    My (un-smelted) COWWs come in at 12 brinnel . . .
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life"

Hamilton Felix, Beyond this Horizon by Robert Heinlein

I have always answered this question as 12-13 BHN , that was before the clip on got to hard to find. Used to have a couple of tire shops that were happy for me to haul them away a couple of six PKS now and then was all ever paid for WW ....60's,70,80,90 ...I started mixing my own ....time marches on, I'm starting to feel like a dinasore....
    Slow Elk 45/70

Praise the Lord & Pass the Ammo

If they contained zinc, the ingots wouldn't fill out properly and you would have a type of scum on top when trying to flux. Also, this means that you are smelting at waaay to high a temperature. I try to keep it down to where just the cows melt and that the other wws will float for skimming. Nice batch lightman! Mine fluctuate between 8-12, but are normally in the 12s for BHN when I test the weights, ingots, and ac boolits. Plenty good enough for everything but HV rifle and magnum pistol in some instances.

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks for the replys,guys! I was surprised at the hardness as I was expecting a little less. These may have been a mix of newer and older weights, but I was thinking most were newer. I'm pretty sure there is no or at least very little zinc. These were hand sorted, and there was none of the oatmeal stuff on top. Also, a quick acid test shows no bubbles or fiz.

KYcaster, thats a new angle that I never thought of. Scary thoughts!

Wheel weight yields seem to be holding up good around here. Its still a good source for me as none of the scrap yards will sell to the public. They are everything everyone says about them, dirty, greasy, nasty, stink, smoke and are a pita to sort.

Now if this winter weather would go away I have about 3 more batches that size to do!

300# is 300# and it only stinks while smelting it! Only dirty WW's until it is smelted. Solution? Get more, sort early and smelt soon. Viola! clean ingots where once dirty WW's sat.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

I just got my cabine tree tester today and went though a lot of my ww stock. Bullets as well as ingots. My bullets are all about 1 year cast and air cooled. They came in about 10-13 (although this is an estimate per the cabine tree instructions)
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Boolit Master
    Thanks fella's I had no idea what the BHN is. I know they are harder than they need to be for handgun bullets.
    I mostly cast handgun bullets from WWs, & they don't expand on much of anything. They do penetrate though!
    U.S.A. " RIDE FOR THE BRAND OR LEAVE!"

I'm getting 10-12 BHN typically on COWW with Lee Tester. Most comes in right around 11.

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks Guys! I was just a little surprised as I thought these were mostly newer weights and was expecting a lower hardness level.

Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    Thanks Guys! I was just a little surprised as I thought these were mostly newer weights and was expecting a lower hardness level.
    Old weights might have been a tiny amount richer alloy but the main difference was older supplies did not have zinc, steel and soft lead SOWW's. Those old buckets or stashes would be almost 100% lead. Would not expect all that much difference between the BHN of ingots from older weights and newer.

I could be wrong but I'm thinking we are talking 10th of percentages difference.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Grand Master

I measure COWWs for BHN at 11 - 12 after minimum 10 days aging. Adding 2% tin brings them up to 14 - 16 BHN AC'd after 10 days.

Larry Gibson

Quote Originally Posted by KYCaster View Post
    I'm beginning to suspect that the companies still making lead WW's are recycling WW's contaminated with Zn.

I've given up on WW as a source of boolit alloy....I avoid it like the plague. Too many times I've gotten <50% yield out of WW and still had problems with the alloy. You can have it!

Jerry
    I haven't even started and I'm pretty much giving up. I live in a liberal paradise and I think x-ray people are going to pagan witch dances to ward off radiation, not lead any longer. Scrap yards, when I can get one to even sell me anything, are offering it at $0.70 per pound and that's unsorted. Given my newness, not sure I want to dive into that game.

So - what are you using, and what BHN are you getting? I've seen so many opinions on required hardness - lots of high hardness guys (probably helped by both BT and Cast Performance selling +20 BHN bullets), and lots using low numbers, unquenched w/w, 1:20 to 1:16, 10-12% BHN. Every one are people I've come to respect in my short time loading (and non-existent time casting, as I'm assembling equipment - and basic know how. This site and its people are fantastic).

I've a 45/70 with pushing an intended Accurate 425 grain .330 meplat boolit at 1600 fps, tops, though for "fun" I'm pushing some gc'ed CP 420's higher. I think 1:20 seems to be the way to go, but now I'm on a hunt to see what people are using, where they get it, and what they're using it for. Thanks for any thoughts.
    -Paul

Boolit Grand Master
    Dont't give up. There are many excellent sources of very reasonable priced lead and alloys on the S&S section. If you are unfortunate to live in a liberal greene state/town, UPS/USPS is your friend! Buying your needs on here will still be cheaper than buying com-cast or FMJ's.

Worrying about hardness was old school. Today we know "FIT IS KING". Worry more about the size of your barrels than the hardness of your pours. I cast 9-12 + PC for everything subsonic and ~14 + PC for sonic.

banger-j

Thanks Banger. That's helpful. I know it's tough to price, as each region or even city is different, but I went to my local scrapyard and they'd be willing to sell me sorted COWW for $0.75/lb. - is this reasonable (Seems so)?
    -Paul

Well, first 20+ pounds of 20:1 in ingots. It's a start!

Sorry, Banger, forgot to ask - what does "PC" mean in, " PC"?

-oh, and given that I will be hunting with the 425's right around 1600 fps, you'd suggest 14 BHN + PC, yes? Seems like antimony is needed, then?

I use a gascheck and someone from Marlinowners suggested pure + 3% to 1450 fps, the same + a gas check to 1750 fps. So for 1600 - what are your thoughts?

I'm not using w/w, given the outrageous price I'd be paying locally ($100 per 5 gallon bucket, roughly). But I ordered the Accurate mold on w/w basis, so I can expect anywhere from .46075 to .46125, as I understand it.

The more I think on this, the more I'd prefer to either leave the bullet unsized - though I want a gc and don't know how to do it without sizing, unless I buy a sizer +002 or so larger than my desired bullet (itself, with the .458 bore, +.002) and just use the sizer for seating the gc, or buy a larger, .461 sizer. Seems bore-sizing is where it's at.

Thanks again.
    Last edited by huntinlever; 04-06-2015 at 07:50 PM.
    -Paul

Boolit Grand Master
    PC is Power Coating. The latest amazing evolution in boolit lubing.

Check out "alternative coatings" in the stickies.

No more smoke. No more grease. No more sticky boolits. No more leading!!!!!!! And you can shoot softer lead and stretch your expensive alloys.

banger-j

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast