RepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Wideners
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Load Data

Thread: Best Digital Scale

Boolit Master

Best Digital Scale

Which digital scale is the best and which is the best for the money?
    I am using a Lyman 1000 gr that is over 20 years old, a buddy is getting back into reloading after about 10 years and is looking for info

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    GemPro 250 50gX0.001g

$143.75 - Free Shipping for Prime Members

• 250 carat capacity x 0.01 carat resolution. Also measures in grams, ounces, pennyweights, troy ounces, carats, and grains.
    • Compact 5.25" x 3.75" x 2.5" size for easy storage and portability.
    • Tare, Calibration and Programmable Auto-Off Functions.
    • AC Adapter, Weighing Tray, Calibration Weight and Hard Shell Carry Case Included.
    • 30 Year Manufacturer's Warranty.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GemPro250.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	12.7 KB 
ID:	132913
    Last edited by Bonz; 03-05-2015 at 11:07 PM.
    Shoot'em If You Got'em...

Boolit Grand Master

I have the gem pro 250 and it works very well with .02grn readings. battery or plug in auto shut off Its a very good scales and does allow trickling easier than some. comes with power converter a plastic pan anti vibration pad check wieght and carry case.

I just got a Frankford Arsenal 750 for $23 (eBay) and it seems to work great. Weighs to the nearest .1 grain. Comes with a powder tray, check weight and a black leather-like case. I wanted it for faster boolit weighing and to check my old RCBS 5-10 scale.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Frankford-Ar...item20f4871927

Sorry, price increased to $27
    Last edited by Yodogsandman; 03-05-2015 at 10:32 PM. Reason: Added Link

Banned

The one Brian Enos sells is the best for reloading with the Gem 250 being second best in my opinion.

New on BrianEnos.com, the Pro-digital scale has a 50 gram capacity (770 grains) and is accurate to .02 grains! It carries a LIFETIME manufactures warranty. (U.S. Sales only.) Price: $159.95

It is compact: 5.25" x 3.75" x 2.5" - and includes tare, calibration, and programmable auto-off functions.

Included:

• AC Adapter (batteries not included)
    • Weighing and powder tray
    • 20 gram F2 class calibration weight
    • VibraKill® Pad
    • Hard plastic storage case

I also include an "ANTISTAT" Powder Pan. It is molded with an anti-static compound, so powder will not stick to it. (I do not sell the Powder Pans individually.)

Unlike some more expensive scales, it will weigh with "trickled" powder.

The hinged windscreen protects against drafts, allowing for accurate readings.

http://brianenos.com/store/be.scale_pd.html

GemPro 250 accuracy =
    250 carat capacity x 0.01 carat resolution

Brian Enos scale =
    250 carats 0.005 carats
    Last edited by jmort; 03-05-2015 at 10:33 PM.

+1 on the gem pro very nice scale and thers no better warranty out there.

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar
    Having used lab grade electronic scales in the past, my advice is get the one that has the wind screen. Of the two above, both have the wind screen. Makes a big difference on a sensitive scale.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Yodogsandman View Post
    I just got a Frankford Arsenal 750 for $23 (eBay) and it seems to work great. Weighs to the nearest .1 grain. Comes with a powder tray, check weight and a black leather-like case. I wanted it for faster boolit weighing and to check my old RCBS 5-10 scale.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Frankford-Ar...item20f4871927

Sorry, price increased to $27
    That's funny. I use my RCBS 5-10 to check my digital.

Actually I use them to check each other. Personally I'd be a little un easy about putting all my trust into the electronic by itself.

Old school I guess.

Motor

jmort,
    what's the difference between the Brian Enos and Gem 250? The specs and pictures seem to be the same, besides the anti-static powder pan.
    Start CASTING or get off the POT!

Banned

They look exactly the same. He recommended the GemPro 250 to me when he stopped selling his last scale. I see no difference

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Motor View Post
    That's funny. I use my RCBS 5-10 to check my digital.

Actually I use them to check each other. Personally I'd be a little un easy about putting all my trust into the electronic by itself.

Old school I guess.

Motor
    This is the way I use the two types of scaled also, old school is hard to change.

Boolit Grand Master

Do you just want a scale or one that can eventually be mated to a dispenser? If this is the case the RCBS Chargemaster and PACT DPPS are the best options. I have both of them. The PACT is a lot more sensitive. It's also made in the USA w/ as many US made components as possible. A great reason to buy it. You don't need to weigh to .02 grains. Nothing wrong w/ having that accuracy. But even w/ small 380 cases +-.1 grain is more than sufficient.

For a few years I was buying every digital reloading scale and testing them. Almost all of them were junk. If I can give one piece of advice it's to make sure it's AC powered. All of the battery only ones were worthless. Scales shut off just as they were warmed up.

Boolit Master
    I bought a PACT 20 years ago and it still works perfectly. However, I seem to use my 5 0 5 most of the time just because it's faster and just as accurate for my loads. Rod

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by minmax View Post
    jmort,
    what's the difference between the Brian Enos and Gem 250? The specs and pictures seem to be the same, besides the anti-static powder pan.
    I think Brian Enos used to sell a different scale but has gone to recommending the gem pro. I have a different scale (JSVG-20) but a technician I work with uses the gem pro (for work stuff) and it appears to be a fantastic little scale.

I think a weight check set is just as or more important than a highly expensive digital scale. I was disappointed with my scale until I realized it's more accurate in the middle of it's weight range. The solution was to use a slightly heavier pan to tare the scale, and now it's a fine piece of equipment. However I would not have known that without a weight check set.

Here is a link to the one I have:
    http://www.amazon.com/Jennings-JSVG-.../dp/B004C3I2GK