Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Load DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Repackbox
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Keeping Only The 45-70 Rifle Dump The Rest

Keeping Only The 45-70 Rifle Dump The Rest

Like many folks, I want to just make life simpler with only 1 hunting rifle, will also have 1 .22 rifle and 1 shotgun (all single shot guns).
    Anyone just use the 45-70 as their main hunting rifle from rabbit hunting to deer and Black Bear?
    You can go from a Lyman 292gr bullet to over 700gr bullets or ya can also use round balls for small game.

Thank y'all!

I keep things even simpler by using a .22 on small game, instead of constantly re-adjusting the sight(s) for the disparate loads.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    I have a .45-70 rifle and as soon as I get one of everything else and try it out against the 45-70, I may just do the same thing! (Still collecting and testing though)
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

I've been shedding a few calibers but no way would one be enough. Finding a balance is not easy either lol.
    If you think your a hammer everything looks like a nail.

Boolit Master
    I was thinking about slowly downgrading, if I got rid of 1 caliber per year, I would be almost 70 by the time I got down to just the 45/70.

Boolit Grand Master
    Simplify? Ha, not in my house.

I shoot for fun, not simplicity. I enjoy the rifles I own, each has a unique character and use.

Simplify. Ha, that is funny.
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

In Remembrance

what is your 700gr load????!!!!
    "...the civil libertarians and rationalists who are ever on the alert to oppose tyranny "failed to take into account man's almost infinite appetite for distractions." In 1984, Orwell added, people are controlled by inflicting pain. In Brave New World, they are controlled by inflicting pleasure. In short, Orwell feared that what we fear will ruin us. Huxley feared that what we desire will ruin us. This book is about the possibility that Huxley, not Orwell, was right.” -N.Postman

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    Simplify? Ha, not in my house.

I shoot for fun, not simplicity. I enjoy the rifles I own, each has a unique character and use.

Simplify. Ha, that is funny.
    I'd never even try to simplify. Every rifle and cartridge has a personality to be discovered. Sometimes when I'm hunting I wonder why I have other rifles but they're all interesting, one rifle is a little like one book. Doesn't sound like much fun.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Vive la difference!

Currently I have everything setup so I can shoot effective loads in all my calibers with only 2 or 3 powders.
    Red Dot for everything pistol, although I am just starting to experiment with IMR4227 for the .357 mag and the .223 and 7.62x39.
    IMR 4895 for my main rifle powder, although I also have some IMR 4350 and IMR 3031 on hand.

Considering that I reload for calbers from the 7.62x25 up to the 7.62x54r and .357 mag that is efficient enough for me.

Boolit Master

There were many families in the past that only had one rifle in the house for everything. It is not the best, but it has been done since matchlock days.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master
    I like having lots of rifles (and handguns!)...in lots of calibers...that I can find ammo for easily. I like lots of powder and primers and lead for my boolit moulds too.

I have favorites, but I like using all of them.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pworley1 View Post
    There were many families in the past that only had one rifle in the house for everything. It is not the best, but it has been done since matchlock days.
    They also got by with an outhouse, a single fireplace for heat, and traveled by horse, wagon, or foot.

I don't live like I'm in the 1700s so why would I shoot like it?
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Boolit Master
    lotta lead powder and brass for everything..thirty-thirty would do it all with less... maybe the .22 Hornet would do it with even less of everything...

personally.. I always thought a .44 mag carbine has a lot of what the big guns offer in a small-gun package...but that's just me

Banned
    I admire your conviction and I confess that there have been times that I have considered the same approach.

For me, I enjoy shooting stuff I have never shot, just like I enjoy whiskey I've never tasted and horses I've never ridden.

I buy and sell a lot of guns. I have a core group of a few that are keepers. I just like to try a new gun and if the gun and I don't click then it is down the road. Just today I almost bought a 38 super for no better reason than I have never shot one before and I want it. But if I had to I guess could get by with 2 or 3.

Many guys would argue differently about your choice of caliber for the single gun concept but not me.

Best of luck.

The thought alone gives me the shivers, and maybe nightmares, too.......... I load for 32 different calibers, plus 12 ga. shotgun. I've got multiple firearms in almost all those calibers, and I can only think of one right now I'd sell..... (anyone interested in a 9mm Calico with two 50 round magazines?)

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Master
    they also had the thrill of dealing with indians until about 1900 depending on which state you lived in.

Me, despite living in Idaho, I find the Virginia state law about only one gun purchase a month one I can aspire to.
    For 2015, a 404 Jefferys and a 450/375 RUM to date, with another 257 Roberts and a 9,3x62 waiting for the stockist to get to them. Then, finish and checkering on the old FN 375 IMp. After that, just a Steve Earle Wesson #1 long range in .450-.400 Nitro Express 3 1/4" to get done. It can be difficult, but if it were easy we'd all do it...

Only one wife, I'm with you, but guns...

Boolit Grand Master

If I HAD to simplify, it would be an auto for home defense and carry (likely a 1911, although I LOVE my P226), a 12 gauge shotgun (Either my Citori or 1187), a heavy weight revolver in 41 or 45 colt and my Marlin 1895GS. If I could get a 22, I'd get one of those too but could let the shotgun do its work.

Otherwise, i like my small collection. Each one has a uniqueness and if it "speaks to me" it gets to stay. If not, down the road it goes.

Of the rifles i own, my .45-70 Marlin and .45 Colt 92 Rossi would be the first to go as the least practical.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Master
    I have written prior to this tread that the more I use certain cartridges, the less use I have for others. For example, the 45-70 has been one I am getting rid of by selling off rifles. The 50-70 does it so much better. But would it be my only CF rifle? Doubtful, there are many needs the 50 does not fill.

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Master
    I would love to simplify my life by reducing the number of guns and cartridges I reload. I have guns that aren't even sighted in yet. Its kind of like putting off your chores, after a while it starts to nag on my mind. BUT, for the life of me, I can't quit buying new guns, let alone get rid of most of the ones I have.
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast