Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Put GC on PB?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieselhorses View Post
    Just for the record .458 is the biggest Sage offers
    I'm sorry but you are incorrect.
    https://www.sagesoutdoors.com/500-s-...or-gas-checks/

https://www.sagesoutdoors.com/50-rif...er-gas-checks/

I think it would be pretty quick if you punched them out with a circular cutter
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

Boolit Buddy
    If making your own GC's is something you enjoy then by all means have at it. Reloading is all about enjoyment. I would just rather open the bag and use them as I need them.

There comes a point where the work involved in trying to combat leading becomes more labor intensive than using a bore brush to clean it out. If you have a GC bullet properly sized to your bore and use a lube designed for the velocity you're achieving then leading won't be a problem. An improperly sized bullet won't give the accuracy one is looking to attain no matter what you do to it, and you WILL get leading if that is the case.

Here's food for thought. I get over 1700 fps from a black powder rifle with a pure lead dead soft bullet. No leading at all. Why? Because the bullet is the proper size that it seals the bore completely. People tend to get a mold because the like how it looks and then use it because that's what they have. They don't slug the bore to see what size they actually need before getting the mold. A properly sized bullet needs to be .001-.002" larger than the groove diameter to seal the bore properly and travel squarely down the bore. A .457 bullet will not seal a .458-.4585 bore and will not be aligned as it travels the length of the barrel. GC's will not fix this problem. It will be the same for larger calibers also.

Say you have a .457 plain base bullet in a .458 bore. It leads, so then you add a GC. It seals the base of the bullet but it forces the bullet to travel down the bore slightly canted because the base is larger than the driving ring at the nose. Which causes even worse leading. Now you have more time and money invested than you would have if you had just ordered a larger than bore mold and sized it to what your particular bore requires. But you are still scrubbing lead from the bore. It can be maddening.
    Last edited by jjarrell; 04-27-2019 at 12:43 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    Does anyone have a way to put a GC on a PB boolit? I have a 311410 that I want to shoot at about 2000fps but it gets wild above 1600fps.

Will
    I used to seat 50 cal checks on 458 pb bullets. It took lots of brute force, I used a modified Lee sizer die and a Rockchucker press. Pushed them in base first. Checks re-formed and swaged into bullets quite ok but not always perfectly centered.

I pushed those 460 grainers up to 2000 fps with a 45-70,accuracy was 2" / 100 meters.

I wouldn't bother with that any more, swaging/seating 50 bullets was just too much excercise. Surprisingly the press was able to handle it,I made some 200 altogether one summer years ago.

But it can be done unless the alloy is very hard.

Boolit Grand Master

I am surprised you managed to get them swaged on in a reloading press!

I haven't done any PB boolits with the tin checks but even that is supposed to take a bit of "oomph" to get them on. Reforming full thickness .50 cal check onto .458 boolits must take some significant "oooomph!"

That speaks well of your press I'd say and you likely have forearms like Popeye!

Longbow

Boolit Master
    Yep it took some force,I was shooting 500 S&W at the time and had Hornady checks. Those Rock Chuckers are strong.

I'd post a pic but can't find any of those bullets right now. The swaged GC walls are much higher than normal and look good. I found a few dozen of those boolits last fall,soaked the old lube out with gasoline and then Hi-Tek coated the boolits. Then I stored them in a too safe place.

Boolit Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	344EE1FC-5740-4D2E-AB00-5A731C96C163.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	48.2 KB 
ID:	241368
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master
    I have dipped a Plain Based bullet in tumble lube and stuck on a centered gas check upside down while lube was still wet.
    Also used a doubled aluminum can thickness punched out and centered on bullet base while still wet. You need a piece of wood with shallow holes to stand the bullets on their nose till the lube dries kind of like a varnish. Experimented with slightly thinning lube with mineral spirits or paint thinner.
    You can size the bullets first, although the Aluminum checks seemed to stay on after sizing, but not always.
    The inverted gas checks of course must be added after sizing. Also used punched paper discs and plastic coffee can lid punched out discs glued on same way using tumble lube.
    They also added after presizing

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    Does anyone have a way to put a GC on a PB boolit? I have a 311410 that I want to shoot at about 2000fps but it gets wild above 1600fps.

Will
    I have the same question. I will be doing a initial test this week on that very bullet. Made a pretty basic checkmaker and think I might have dimensions narrowed down for the real setup.

Here's how it turned out so far...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200508_190507.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	34.0 KB 
ID:	262088

Also doing some NOE 153's
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200508_190301.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	51.2 KB 
ID:	262087
    --------------------------------------------------------------

Young kid to old vet: "How do I know when it's time to take up arms?"

Old vet: "Well, you grab your rifle, load 'er up and go outside........ if you're the only one, it ain't time yet!"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123