Titan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2PBcastco
WidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Put GC on PB?

Boolit Buddy

Put GC on PB?

Does anyone have a way to put a GC on a PB boolit? I have a 311410 that I want to shoot at about 2000fps but it gets wild above 1600fps.

Will

Mighr be a little tough Will, There needs to be that inst at the bottom of the bullet for the gas check to go on.
    A plain base bullet you would be trying to squeeze it so hard to get rid of the lead that has to be displaced for the Gas Check.
    Ken.
    Ken.

Be nice if it was better, but it could be worse

Boolit Bub
    Will go to the castpics site I just read a article there lastnight about putting gas checks on plainbase boolits, looks pretty simple gonna try it this weekend. mark

Boolit Master
    There are a couple of threads about flat gas checks; basically putting a washer under the PB boolit. A couple of guys had decent results but I got the impression it just wasn't worth it.

Boolit Buddy
    The article in castpics is interesting. I think I'll give it a try.

Boolit Bub
    Yep, why not? Im not going to worry about making any tools till i try a few and see how they work. Let us know how yours turn out.

Banned

I don't think the gas check will cure the accuracy problem.
    What you can try is just put the check in the mold, make sure it is all the way down and cast a boolit right on it.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    I don't think the gas check will cure the accuracy problem.
    What you can try is just put the check in the mold, make sure it is all the way down and cast a boolit right on it.
    That's kind of hard to do with a bottom pour mould.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Grand Master

Will

I've done it with several PB bullets that have sufficient taper to enter the GC. I use a GC seater and scrunch the bullet down in until the base bottoms out. I then run it throught the sizer to crimp the GC. Never tried it with 311410 but have done so successfully with a couple others.

Larry Gibson

Generous Donator

I made a sizer die without any lube holes and the bottom part is the proper size for a GC on a 35 cal bullet and the top part is .359 so the boolit can't bump up too much. Using the right top punch makes it much easier. I lube the boolit first in a .358 die. Making one to do 30 cals shouldn't be too hard if one had the time. Mark

Boolit Master

The problem with GCing a PB .30 is that it's hard to find a sizer die the proper size to swage the base band. Not everyone has one laying around.

Mark's idea is best if you have access to a good machinist.

It is possible to punch a hole in the GC from the convex side and cast through the hole. This does very well and the ragged edges on the hole tend to cast into the metal and bond the GC to the bullet. Float the punched GCs on top of the melt and pick them up with a pair of forcepts and drop them in the mould, straighten and cast. Works well for the 358430 195 grain and the .35 Remington. Also does well with the 45712X series of Lyman moulds for the .45/70.

If you mess one up, drop it back in in the pot and recycle./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Master

The 311410 may not do that well at higher velocities. I had factory HP mould once and tried it in the .30/30. Did not work for me. The 311410 has a fairly short bearing surface and this may be the reason. The best light bullet I've found is a 311465. That's been a winner in everything from the .30 Carbine to the .30/06 as a lightweight bullet./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Banned

It is hard with a bottom pour. But I made a punch to cut the center out of the check and it works fine. Just have to get it level with the top of the mold.
    It's easy with my nose pour though.
    I have also tried the check at various drive bands.
    I did it just to see if there would be a difference and never found any over the PB in my revolvers.
    Usually if a boolit shoots good at one velocity and won't if driven faster, the boolit does not match the twist at the higher speed. A different length boolit would solve it but I don't think just adding a check will cure it.
    Unless of course the pressure is so high it is destroying the base. Hard to tell unless some are caught undamaged to inspect.
    Here is one with a front check, hard base and a pure lead nose.
    Last edited by 44man; 09-02-2008 at 09:13 AM.

This is probably weird and unworkable, but... You know those inside/outside deburring tools Lyman and other companies make? I wondered if it would be possible to make/alter one of them to cut the gas check shank on a plain base bullet.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Sizing dies would be faster and more appropriate, Art. I have requested they be made to order by Saeco several times, just like they (Redding brand) do for the neck sizing dies. Sizing rings in half thousands to be inserted into a mother die. ... felix
    felix

We folk are tinkerers by nature, however, in light of all that trouble I wonder what sort of velocity you could get with a simple wad?
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

You missed the point, Felix. I mean it to cut the lead away from a cast bullet like it cuts the brass in the case mouth.

Boolit Master
    Maybe this will help... drop me a note for more info.. MV
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=23276

So while we are here, do we really know what the gas check does and where in the barrel it does it? I have recovered many boolits with and without checks. It is amazing how the check is flattened and conforms to the boolit base. I guess I have never examined a plain base that was pushed to the point of failing.
    J
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine

Boolit Master
    Buckshot recently made me an H die to put a taper on a .358 diameter boolit. I've tried it on an RCBS SWC and a .358429 and it seems to work just fine but I'm waiting for better weather to try some of the loads with it. The workmanship was great and the price was most reasonable.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast