Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Texas longhorn hunts

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by William Yanda View Post
    Now there's a picture.
    Well it wasn't very funny at the time. I had my son with me on his pony..
    I put my horse between him and the bull and got out of there quick..

in Remebrance
    Nemesis, your memory is pretty good, an awful lot of years ago I read in some hunting mag about that, seems that some of the cattle had become "feral", wild as any deer, couldn't be caught. The ranch was allowing hunting to get rid of the darn things. The article made it sound like a lot of fun, a lot more meat than from a whitetail, but nothing over two points for trophies. Haven't heard anything more about it since. GW
    "If you can walk with crowds and keep your virtue,
    Or walk with Kings, nor lose the common touch,
    Yours is the earth and everything that's in it,
    And, which is more, you'll be a man my son!" R. Kipling

"Brother to a Prince, and fellow to a pauper, if found worthy." Kipling

Quote Originally Posted by TheDoctor View Post
    That must have been some horse!

Quote Originally Posted by dave roelle View Post
    There was a bit of this done in the brakes along the Rio Grande many years ago---------before the border difficulties, i haven't heard of anything around the houston area.

I'll ask around see what i might turn up for you

Dave
    That would be fantastic PM me if you uncover any leads.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nemesisenforcer View Post
    If I still had one,I would sell it to you to shoot if you like..
    Though I hardly see how shooting a cow or bull is much sport.
    I have had to kill livestock all my life,and it was never something I enjoyed doing.Other than my best horse who served me for twenty six years fell and broke her leg..
    I was happy to relieve her pain and suffering.
    Last edited by Clay M; 03-04-2015 at 09:36 PM.

Boolit Master
    Close to da Creaux,Hang'n out in Swamp's and Bayou's
    Well there ya go!
    Less Border Patrol
    More Longhorns
    Problem solved!

Boolit Master
    One of the gun rags back in the day mentioned someone who hunted feral cattle around the Big Bend. The cattle were descendants of bull fight breeding stock gone wild during the various revolutions in Mexico. The hunter was using a 458 Winchester. Don't remember the source; probably wasn't true, but what the h***....makes a good story.

Colonial California had bear and bull fights in corrals.

Boolit Buddy
    Last time I heard or read of a hunt it was by Col. Charles Askins about 50 yrs ago down in the brush by Del Rio. I worked the oilfield down in this country for about 40 years and had more trouble with wild brahma cattle, notably cows, than anything other than mojados. A friend has a few longhorns... and a zebra, an emu, a buffalo, and several sika deer. The buff is the problem child... killed a horse and injured another... The zebra may be the meanest, but the emu is the one that'll eat the paint off your truck. Been telling him it's about time for a big bbq.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nemesisenforcer View Post
    That would be fantastic PM me if you uncover any leads.
    My neighbor has a bunch of em that he doesn't feed and they break the 6 strand Goucho barbed wire fence all the time to get to my cow's and my oats. How much you want to spend for a clandestine canned hunt?
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by x101airborne View Post
    My neighbor has a bunch of em that he doesn't feed and they break the 6 strand Goucho barbed wire fence all the time to get to my cow's and my oats. How much you want to spend for a clandestine canned hunt?
    I can understand..I wish I had never seen one of them.
    All in all they are stock animals to me ..although I really don't like them at all..
    Last edited by Clay M; 03-05-2015 at 07:47 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by EDK View Post
    One of the gun rags back in the day mentioned someone who hunted feral cattle around the Big Bend. The cattle were descendants of bull fight breeding stock gone wild during the various revolutions in Mexico. The hunter was using a 458 Winchester. Don't remember the source; probably wasn't true, but what the h***....makes a good story.

Colonial California had bear and bull fights in corrals.
    I believe I read this story in the American Rifleman. Finn Aagard was the hunter. I remember him saying hunting these Bulls in the cane brakes was the closest you could come to hunting Cape Buffalo here in the states.

I don't remember what year but it was a long time ago.
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Boolit Grand Master

Some guy from back east called an outfitter I know about 20 years ago about a longhorn "hunt". He guided mostly mule deer, aoudad and hog hunts near and in the Caprock Canyons. He figured he could probably find one but he would probably have to shoot it pretty quick so he wouldn't have too much extra fence work. Funny how many people think a barbed-wire fence will stop a buffalo or longhorn.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master

And I have a picture in my mind of some enterprising hunter standing over a polled Hereford claiming it's the rare 'hornless' longhorn.

And the meat's better.

dale in Louisiana

Quote Originally Posted by Dale in Louisiana View Post
    And I have a picture in my mind of some enterprising hunter standing over a polled Hereford claiming it's the rare 'hornless' longhorn.

And the meat's better.

dale in Louisiana
    Actually, when a cow stands up, it tends to use the right front leg to get up after her back legs are up. This makes the left side brisket more tender than the right side brisket as that muscle isn't stressed as much. So always ask your butcher or meat market for a left side brisket. Don't let him give you the right side one as it don't smoke as well. Butchers can be sneaky, gotta watch them.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lbaize3 View Post
    Aw! When I saw the thread title I thought ya'll was going to talk about them putty coeds at Texas University. And come to find out ya'll are talking about bovines. I feel so let down...
    As per a friend of mine who just graduated from there, those hunts are still going on. He said that there is no closed season, and no bag limit. However, you gotta be careful cause sometimes they hunt you when you thought you were hunting them. So everyone here is right. Longhorns really are Dangerous Game.

In his words: "There is deer season, and then there is dear season."
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

in Remebrance
    Rufus, speaking of mojados, I don't habla too good but I keep seeing signs in stores that say "wet floor and piso mojado." Does that mean a wetback p'd on the floor? GW
    "If you can walk with crowds and keep your virtue,
    Or walk with Kings, nor lose the common touch,
    Yours is the earth and everything that's in it,
    And, which is more, you'll be a man my son!" R. Kipling

"Brother to a Prince, and fellow to a pauper, if found worthy." Kipling

In Remembrance
    I have worked on a ranch close to Houston that had a herd of longhorns, and a herd of buffalo. The longhorns were no trouble to speak of, the buffalo was a whole nother story. lol
    I know several ranchers that keep a lonhhorn for breeding heifers, and one that raises bulls to lease to ranchers that don't want to keep their own.
    I do not remember any wild longhorn hunts, but I do remember a ranch somewhere around San Antonio advertising a deer lease where you had your choice of a deer or beef, back some yeers ago when the beef price was rock bottom. lol

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cow20.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	76.3 KB 
ID:	132838This old dolly would poke a hole in your wranglers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12