RotoMetals2RepackboxWidenersLee Precision
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data

Thread: Made a shotshell holder for roll crimping

Super Moderator

Made a shotshell holder for roll crimping

I know that BPI sells a hull vise but I have a lot of scrap 7075 aluminum I've had for quite a while and figured I'd go ahead and use some of it to make my own. Besides, I do so like machining aluminum

After squaring up the base plate, I radiused the top edges.

The holes were all located and drilled for the standing jaw.

Once the standing jaw was attached I then laid out and drilled the holes for the moving jaw and it's guide plates, and the toggle clamp.

Here it is all done. I didn't figure it'd be of much use to show squaring up all the pieces, drilling and countersinking the holes & etc. Works like a champ and was fun to make.

...............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Grand Master
    Well done.
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Wayyyyyyyyyy nicer than BPI's model!

Boolit Master

Nice!

Boolit Master

That does look well done, but what do you use it for? I've never reloaded shot shells before.
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

In Remembrance

You always do nice work.

Yes very nice!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by merlin101 View Post
    That does look well done, but what do you use it for? I've never reloaded shot shells before.
    Roll crimp is done on a drill press, bit tuff to hold the shell while the press is trying to rip it out of you hand.
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

Boolit Master
    Very Nice!
    "Don't worry what they think. In the end it is not between them and you, it is between you and God."

Je suis Charlie!

"You won't know until you Actually try it"

"The impossible just takes longer."

"Don't let them beat you down with their inexperience."

"You'll never accomplish what you don't try. " - Moldmaker

The Rolls Royce of shell holders! Very nice.

I've been meaning to make some sort of shell holder too, but I think I will try something more simple, like a tapered hole to hold the rim by friction. Perhaps some sort of serrated surface to increase friction.
    Cap'n Morgan

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by RED333 View Post
    Roll crimp is done on a drill press, bit tuff to hold the shell while the press is trying to rip it out of you hand.
    learned something new, but I knew all about drill press's taking things outa hand I also know not to leave the key in the chuck!
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Boolit Buddy
    Very nice job. Wish i was that talented.
    You know, there's an old saying, Miss Sally. There's no law west of the Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chism? James Pepper

Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there. John Simpson Chism

Super Moderator

That you very much guys. It's obviously 'over done' but I used what I had on hand. All I have to do now is find time to load some 12 gauge slug ammo so I can try it out. I have no use for them other then the fun of shooting 2 quart plastic juice containers full of water, HA!

..............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    Excellent! Stout is better than wimpy!
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Boolit Buddy

Nice work, thanks for the post.
    I just found a toggle clamp in the shop last week, guess I have a use for it now!
    Time to dust off the mill.
    "An armed society is a polite society" R.A. Heinlein 1907 - 1988

Boolit Master

Buckshot, you and others here have inspired me many a time to look at reloading tooling differently and either modify or make from scratch the pieces that I want or need. The satisfaction from creating a working piece of machinery or parts enriches the reloading experience immeasurably. Thank you for sharing your project with us.
    Liberalism is the triumph of emotion over intellect, but masquerading as the reverse.

I don't know how we ever shot maximum loads before P/C come along and saved us all. R5R

"No mosque in the United States flies an American flag."

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Buddy

Now, I just need to find some Alumnium for this and the contricity gauge I want to build for starters and then on to an annealing machine. We got my mill all wired up. Glad the pahse converters didnt have an issue. Bought em two years ago but got sidelined with move so doubt they'd have warrantied mine. I love when people post up the diy. Its a great motivator.

Buckshot,
    Very cool!!
    Now I just need you to do a thread on how to make the roll crimp tool
    jmsj

I'd buy that for a dollar!

That's why I love this forum. Another project for the back burner....
    Your Feedback is appreciated
    Johnny V
    NRA Benefactor
    Member OGCA & GOA
    CCW OH & PA