Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWidenersLoad Data
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline Fabrication
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need to ask How bad are the roads in your area????

Boolit Master

I need to ask How bad are the roads in your area????

I am in NH and find no WW's at any intersections.

We have in my county very bad roads. Frost heaves for 3-4 months we stop at the really good/bad ones and no WW's found.

Don't know what a frost heave is , Think of a pothole without a sharp drop 3 feet wide and 1-1/2 deep every 25-30 yards. they appear now from late Feb/early March.

Speeds on our roads is 20-25 MPH no matters the posted speed. Violate the posted you will not get a ticket but you will get a repair bill 10 times higher.

Our town roads that are gravel are better than state paved roads but in 3-4 weeks will be mud season. Drive on a closed Mud season road and be prepared to pay thousands of dollars to repair it.

Many flatlanders from MA learn the hard way every year.

We have never found a WW in any parking lot. Gas prices will kill you, here go to the metal recycle center (no more called junk yard as that is not PC) or find a friendly Plummer.

Geezer... Have you ever talked to the guys that demo houses? I would think some of the older houses on your end of the country might still have lead water lines. About once or twice a year I get 50-100 lbs of water line from a demo guy I know.....

The roads are fine, but the snow has melted and the mud is awful! I just came inside, and had to scrape big handfuls off of me.

The only good roads we have in this state are in Chicago area. The rest of the state just has to make do with the leftovers. Chicago tears up and replaces better roads than those in downstate.
    Potholes are a way of life here. Road maintenance often fills the holes with gravel or blacktop, but it breaks up and comes right out again. We keep the shock absorber companies in business.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Roads in AZ are good! All the freeways are rubberized-coated these days and are smoothe as glass. Have not seen "potholes" since I left Mi 30 years ago!!!!!!

I have never found a single weight along or around any roads anywhere. But I would not bend over to pick up a single weight anyway. Probably Zn/Fe!

WW's are rapidly becoming the NON-goto source for us boolit casters. Years ago, WW's were our's for the hauling and they were ALL a good Pb alloy. In comes the owl-huggers and tree-kissers. And the Zn and Fe weights rapidly replacing our beloved Pb.

I quit even messing with COWW's 2 years ago. I am very lucky (according to what I read on here anyway) to have numerous salvage yards around that are stocked with lots of pure/Sn/hardball/alloy/solder for the taking at an average of $1/#. And those are CLEAN alloys that go directly into ingots with NO heavy fluxing or cleaning like I used to have to do with WW's.

Most of the LOTS of weights I see at the yards are Fe/Zn rich and not worth the time and money. All the tire stores have contracts with those recyclers and will not sell to anyone else.

Good luck with the lot lizard searching for a few WW's. If you cannot buy from local yards, get your Pb alloys from the kind people on the S&S section on here. Good reliable people! Or they would have been gone long ago!

bangerjim

Boolit Grand Master

I live in PA which consistently has the worse roads in the country. Your think we wouldn't w/ the $.80 a gallon state tax on gas. In a few years it will be $1. Not only does the winter destroy the roads. This is the land of sink holes. Large portions of roads disappear quite often. I've never found a wheel weight anywhere. But I'm not about to look for them at intersections.

Boolit Master

I have hundreds of COWWs laying loose in my truck bed. When I'm working in town it's common to find 10+ per day. Not a lot, but more than I shoot most days.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm averaging 3 bent rims a winter in NY so.....

One of the parkways has heaved so bad it feels like 30 miles of speed bumps. One spot is so bad you need to slow to 20 mph to go thru it.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Our roads are much like our political leaders , rotten and crumbling .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Buddy
    I was on a stretch of state highway today and it was like riding in a paint shaker.

Boolit Master

I can see the 60 Minutes documentary now: all manner of experts decrying the crumbling of the American infrastructure, followed by the COWW scrounging caster who thinks bad roads are "JUST AWESOME!"
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Banned

Go to CA, there are "thousands of tons" of WW piled high in every bar ditch. Just ask those that wrote the reports that got them legislated out of existence.

Gear

Boolit Master
    Yeah, I read some of that report about US cars loosing millions of lbs of wheel weights per year and there should be a certain number of tons of WWs per mile of road. Then I read of a fellow that walked a mile or so of the highway and didn't find a single WW. Maybe lead just dissolves a lot faster into the ground and streams in Ca than most other places. Probably why they're so worried about it there. That wouldn't explain what happened to the clips though. Hmmmmm!! I, being the concerned citizen that I am, always pick up any stray WWs I find along side the road before they can dissolve into the environment. Then I clean them and fire them deep into the earth where they came from so they will be safe from polluting the streams and rivers. Some of you may want to reconsider leaving those dangerous WWs along side the road. Just saying.

Banned

A couple of years ago, the city I live in was named the worst roads in the country. And they have not improved. If anything, they are worse.

3.5 inches of snow at DFW airport overnight, a lot for this area. With yesterdays rainfall freezing overnight under the snow roads are very slippery.

TXDOT road crews are doing a very good job in my area, and a high of 39 today may melt some of it.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Master

to wet and muddy to find the roads and I'm in Texas wettest year I can remember
    Slim it's freezing as far south as Lake Sam Rayburn,burrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
    Last edited by SSGOldfart; 03-05-2015 at 09:15 AM. Reason: fat finger small keybroad
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Buddy
    Our roads suck! Anyone who has had the pleasure of driving in Michigan will tell you that. The strange part is roads are constantly under construction and they never get better.
    Jim

"The problem with quotes on the internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." - Thomas Jefferson 1803

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dakotashooter2 View Post
    Geezer... Have you ever talked to the guys that demo houses? I would think some of the older houses on your end of the country might still have lead water lines. About once or twice a year I get 50-100 lbs of water line from a demo guy I know.....
    Have a plumber friend that doesn't cast so I get a lot of old plumbing pipe and cast iron joint lead from.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    I live in PA which consistently has the worse roads in the country. Your think we wouldn't w/ the $.80 a gallon state tax on gas. In a few years it will be $1. Not only does the winter destroy the roads. This is the land of sink holes. Large portions of roads disappear quite often. I've never found a wheel weight anywhere. But I'm not about to look for them at intersections.
    pa here as well , I used to think our roads were bad till I went to salamenca new York for the 1st time last weekend wow

My neighbor is a small contractor that does tear downs and remodeling. I used to get lead from him occasionally until I got him started casting for a 45LC he bought.
    Good thing I have other sources.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast