Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad DataLee Precision
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Repackbox Wideners

Thread: Lubemaster with M-A Systems collator

Boolit Buddy

Lubemaster with M-A Systems collator

Just picked this setup from magma and it runs good except the collator. Bullets are dropping base up without issue but they turn sideways while sliding down the feed tube and clog up. Im using the small diameter platic feed tube but they still manage to get sideways. Have read through the manual several times and it's no help. Actually the manual is horrible and looks like it hasn't been updated in 20 years. Not the performance I expect out of a $1500 bullet collator. Anyone have any suggestions? Worst case scenario is I will call M-A or magma.
    Last edited by andre3k; 03-03-2015 at 10:16 AM.

Boolit Master
    Call M-A, I used to be a commercial caster and used M-A systems. The folks at M-A were always helpful. I liked the old 12:00 drop tube setup better than the new 3:00 drop tube system. I would suggest making small adjustments one at a time. The M-A can feed the Lubemaster at a rate of 6250 boolits per hour when set up right. Make sure the machine is on a solid table to stop vibration which will have a negative effect on feed rate. Great machines, just have a learning curve.

Boolit Buddy
    Ok sounds good. I will play with it a bit more today and give them a call.

Boolit Buddy
    mines a 3 oclock drop , takes a little playing with but once adjusted runs great

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by angus6 View Post
    mines a 3 oclock drop , takes a little playing with but once adjusted runs great
    Do you have to readjust the collator when you run a different bullet or caliber?

Boolit Buddy
    not always , it's hit and miss

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andre3k View Post
    Do you have to readjust the collator when you run a different bullet or caliber?

Do you have a large and small funnel where the boolits drop, this can make a big difference on feeding.

Short and long boolits need different a adjustment as do different caliber's.

Boolit Buddy
    I have the small and large plastic tube where the micro - switch is located. I'm loading 125gr 9mm with the small tube. The bullets are turning sideways when they hit the transition from the clear plastic feed tube to the metal tube that's attached to the lubemaster.

Boolit Master
    Are you using the #1 metal tube which is the small da tube, with the small plastic this should work.
    I have a friend with these machines and I help him when he gets a big order, I run the Lubemaster for him and don't have this problem. I sold my 2 Lubemaster machines in 2003.

Boolit Buddy
    Yeah im using the #1 tube. There is a lip inside that transition point that they hang up on. I will give m- a a call today and see if they can offer any suggestions.

Boolit Buddy
    If you have a large countersink or chamfer bit, you can chamfer the inside of the tube to remove the lip. You could use a knife and get the job done if you don't have a chamfer tool. Be sure that you don't tighten the clamps too much and create a choke point.

Also, let gravity help every place you can. The mounting position of your collator makes a big difference in feeding. For example; the mounting height and the distance from your sizer (in the plan view) determines how sharply you are bending the flexible link. Keeping everything pointing down as quickly as possible helps a lot.

While we are on the subject, I was at the hardware store the other day and noticed they have some replacement springs for the old style screen doors..........Springs just like your flexible link but with a smaller diameter. I have not used it, but have stored it away for future possibilities

Boolit Buddy
    Seems like everything is working good right now. The suggestions about chamfering the feed tube helped a lot. My coated bullets seem to glide through the tubes now. Now, how do I keep the collator from dinging up my bullets so much?

Boolit Buddy
    Right now, your collator is new, and the plate has sharp edges. Those edges do scratch up the bullets. In time, these edges will wear and become smooth........In enough time, they will wear completely out and the plate will need replacement.

You can help the situation now if you remove the plate and sand/smooth the edges...........just lightly, you don't want to remove any more material than is needed. It's a lot of edges though

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andre3k View Post
    Seems like everything is working good right now. The suggestions about chamfering the feed tube helped a lot. My coated bullets seem to glide through the tubes now. Now, how do I keep the collator from dinging up my bullets so much?
    One thing that would help is to put small amounts in the collator so they don't tumble as long.

What ssnow said about sanding any sharp edges helps a lot.