On a local forum A fella did some testing of clothing shot with a M-1 carbine to see if the reports that the bullet would not penetrate the clothing. These reports surfaced during the Korean War.

While the fella had his heart in the right place I think his testing can be improved upon to make conditions closer to what would have been in place during the fighting. We are in the Phoenix Arizona area which I hope never gets down to the reported -35 degree F in Korea. I did serve in Korea from 1971 to 1973 and did have to experience some of the cold then. I was from Michigan so it was not a big change for me.

I do have some of the WC820 powder and have shot it in several firearms and have experienced changes due to the temperature. I am thinking of loading this to duplicate the military specs of the Korean War era. I did fire some of this quite a few years ago and from I can remember it was about 100 fps slower than the spec of 1,990 fps.

If you have fired some US military surplus in an M-1 and have the results of chronographing it would you post your results please?

I do intend to put some in a cooler with regular ice and another batch in a cooler with dry ice. I will fire it along with ambient temperature ammo to see if the velocity is reduced or not.

I would like to use original north Korean clothing from the time period but can't afford to buy it off E-bay for $2K. If anyone has this clothing can you measure how thick the padded jacket is?

No end to the fun!