RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad DataWideners
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to do with a 5 gallon bucket of ammo?

What to do with a 5 gallon bucket of ammo?

I don't know what to do with it. Every month of sorting brass, I cull out the live ammo which is usually pistol calibers. So, now I have a 5 gallon bucket full of ammo that originates from an indoor range. Most of it looks like light primer strikes or racking the slide (lots of inexperienced shooters at one of the commercial ranges). I don't want to dispose of it because there's a lot of really nice components (brass and bullets), but I can't sell it as ammo.

My gut tells me to sell it per pound (which would be cheap), Any thoughts or ideas?

Makes me laugh to see 50AE or 500sw ammo in the bucket, "Bro, this gun is kicking my butt, I'm done with it, just dump the rest of the ammo on the ground".

The bucket hasn't moved in 2 months, lol.

Boolit Master

I'd either hire somebody to break it down and salvage what I could or scrap it. The problem is finding someone to take loaded ammo!

Boolit Master

I nominate you to bring back a report on the efficiency of hammer type bullet pullers vs the press mounted collet type.
    Bill

Banned

I'd buy guns that shoot it all, and then shoot it all.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by monmouth View Post
    Makes me laugh to see 50AE or 500sw ammo in the bucket,
    Them thar, is some spendy components you could recover.

ANYWAY,
    I see the same thing after the local police do quals at our range. I usually get a bucket(that'd be a 1 gallon bucket) 1x brass as well as a dozen or so live rounds (if I'm lucky enough to get there first). BUT, all there is ...are 45s and 9s and 556s for me to pick. I just break 'em down as they are usually wet (dew, rain, snow or ice) ...otherwise I'd just shot 'em for the brass.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

I have the same problem, on a much smaller scale, and I've lost my kinetic bullet puller. The cast bullets I just clamp a needle nose vice grip on in the press, but the jacketed bullets I figured are worth saving. Back in the day if they looked like factory rounds I'd just shoot them; I'm more cautious now since what I find is a good mix from nice shiny factory ammo to old funky reloads.

I expect someone will be interested in them, by the pound for component value at the right price. Back when I was younger, when I had more time and less ammo and components piled up already, I'd have been all over it.

Vendor Sponsor

Drop it off at Christy's for a "political donation"
    1 Rd for each gun owner in nj
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master

Where Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Maryland join.
    Pull them, sell the brass and bullets and fertilize the garden/lawn with the powder.
    Blacksmith

S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us!

Boolit Bub

I pulled 44 bullets from some 300 win mag rounds the other day with a hammer type bullet puller, and it took FOREVER! I could not imagine trying to save bullets from a full 5 gallon bucket of pick ups. That would be a pile of work.
    "Blessed are those who, in the face of death, focus on the front sight" ~Col. Jeff Cooper~

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by JB Weld View Post
    I pulled 44 bullets from some 300 win mag rounds the other day with a hammer type bullet puller, and it took FOREVER! I could not imagine trying to save bullets from a full 5 gallon bucket of pick ups. That would be a pile of work.
    I was given around 100 .270 handloads a couple years ago. I shot 2 and they both blew the primers out. I used a kinetic puller and took the rest apart. I then promptly ordered a collet puller and collets. I only use the kinetic puller for odball calibers now.

1. Get a really cheap RC car with a pull behind wagon
    2. Obtain some clear blast shields to hide behind
    3. Build a big bonfire in the middle of no where
    4. Drive RC car into fire with ammo in the wagon*
    5. Enjoy the fireworks

*MOcaster assumes no responsibility for your actions. This is purely a joke. Please, don't try this at home. (Unless you really want to. Then you better send me a video )
    I pity the baker,
    I pity the nun

I pity the one
    Who tries to take my gun

Moderator Emeritus

To bad you aren't closer. I am retired and have the time to break it all down.

Boolit Master

Yeah, for rifle calibers a collet puller works pretty fast, but if it's mostly pistol stuff requiring a kinetic puller, it would be a job for someone with plenty of time on their hands. I sure can't imagine it would be cost effective to pay someone to take them apart, probably more cost effective to sell them really cheap to someone else who wants to take on this adventure on their own time.

Heck, he's probably already had several PMs with offers to take them off his hands. I know I wouldn't be interested, but can sure understand how someone with more spare time would get a kick out of a project like this.

Boolit Grand Master

Get a heavy solid piece of tree trunk 2-3' in dia and 2' tall, set this on a solid surface. Invite a couple buddies over with their pullers and supply "refreshments" have a gab fest and break down ammo at the same time LOL. The heavy hardwood trunk provides a solid area to use the kenitic pullers on safley. They work better with the proper blow once you learn it.

Boolit Buddy
    Just don't ask how many rounds or pounds are in the 5 gallon bucket.

Boolit Grand Master

Definitely an interesting predicament

Sort and sell them frb at a time. Sell with understanding that they were to be broken down into Parts, but not shot. Bunch of folks would jump on them

Too bad you aren't in Texas. I'd slowly work on breaking them down, and we could work out a deal for dividing the components.

In Remembrance
    Me being the tight ars I am would be finding the time to separate those. Or depending on how you live, barter them off with a local and save the headache of shipping them.
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

Thank you for the ideas. I would prefer to sell it all at once or to a few reliable people and try to build a relationship since I will keep getting more.

FRB shipping is a no go, can't ship ammo via post office.

i looked in the bucket and pulled out three 30-06 Winchester rounds to look at the primers, never touched. That shooter probably got tired of the shoulder recoil, lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast