MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWidenersLee Precision
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Reloading Everything Load Data

Thread: Marlin customer service SUCKS

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately

Marlin customer service SUCKS

Two weeks ago I ordered some parts (from Marlin) for a Marlin rifle to fix a situation that should have never existed in the first place. I was told at the time it would take a day or two to get order processed. OK. Ticked me off a bit that I had to pay $40.00+ for parts that were poorly designed leading to the failure. However, it is what it is. Called today to find out the status of the order and was told it is being processed. I asked if he had any idea when the "processing" would be complete and the part shipped and he had no idea. I have a high regard for the older Marlins when they were still Marlin. I have recommended Marlins to a lot of folks over the years so am well and truly disappointed in this service.

I realize this may be a bit over reacting but I have received parts from China faster than this, and to not be able to give me more information than an "I don't know" is quite unacceptable as far as I'm concerned.

If I could find the parts elsewhere I would cancel the order at Marlin but they are the only ones that had it in available, probably because so many other users have experienced the same failure.

OK, rant over.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Vendor Sponsor

with Marlin being owned by Remington now and them owned by an investment firm service is the last thing on their mind.. Sorry to say as both companies were wonderful at one time
    sadly those days are gone
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

What part/s?
    If you think your a hammer everything looks like a nail.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by freebullet View Post
    What part/s?
    I second the above. What parts do you need?

Larry

Boolit Master
    Curious, third the above. And really curious as to where a Marlin fan has been for five or so years.

Boolit Buddy

I see Remington getting hated a lot about quality, customer service etc more and more over the last few years. Shame and I hope its not a sign of things to come.
    I hope it all gets resolved for you.

Boolit Master

Going on a year waiting for a spring for a TC Contender 223 barrel. At least they told me it was coming to me no charge, but if I could buy one somewhere I would have already had it...

Well, Remington Outdoor Company just announced they are closing H&R, and they are closing Para in Pineville, North Carolina and making the Para line in Hunstville, Alabama under the Remington name.

I hope you get your parts before they decide to close Marlin, too.

Banned

After what Cerberus/Remington did to H&R and Marlin for that matter, I would not buy anything from Remington unless and until there is new ownership and better customer service and quality.

Sadly Marlin was a GREAT company that used to produce excellent quality firearms at moderate prices. The only Marlin I would purchase would be a used Marlin before the pre Remlin takeover. Remington had better change something fast. Everyone that I know would not buy one, period. They are producing quantity over quality and it shows in their products.

Quote Originally Posted by vmathias View Post
    Sadly Marlin was a GREAT company that used to produce excellent quality firearms at moderate prices. The only Marlin I would purchase would be a used Marlin before the pre Remlin takeover. Remington had better change something fast. Everyone that I know would not buy one, period. They are producing quantity over quality and it shows in their products.
    I recommend that you read the article in the April G & A about the new 1894 44 Mag that Remington had to retool for. The Marlin machinery they got in the purchase turned out to be worn out. Remington has made fine guns over the years and surely they can make a fine lever rifle under the Marlin TM if they set their mind and talent to the job. I am reserving judgement for a while.
    "Time wounds all heels." Well, maybe not, but it helps me to think so rather than responding to bad actors.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas View Post
    I recommend that you read the article in the April G & A about the new 1894 44 Mag that Remington had to retool for. The Marlin machinery they got in the purchase turned out to be worn out. Remington has made fine guns over the years and surely they can make a fine lever rifle under the Marlin TM if they set their mind and talent to the job. I am reserving judgement for a while.
    I can only go by what I have seen first hand. I have handled a few of the newer Marlin rifles and was not impressed with the woodwork or quality control of the parts fitting. As for Remington bolt actions, Very gritty feel to the bolts. There are much better values in my opinion.

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    Just to show how screwed up things are with them, shortly after posting this I went out to pickup our mail and lo and behold, there was a package with the part.

This is the striker assembly for the 917V. I just wanted to replace the spring but was told that the spring alone was not a consumer available part. Had to buy the entire assembly to the tune of $40.44 with shipping. If you research this problem, light FP strikes, it appears about half of the rifles suffer from the malady, sooner or later. Installed new assembly and problem healed. Just a pee poor design as I stated in my OP. Oh well, I guess sometimes you gotta pay to play. However, I have a sneaking suspicion someone else is going to be enjoying this item in the near future.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas View Post
    Claiming that the Marlin machinery was worn out is no excuse. The Remington people were too incompetent to recognise worn out equipment during pre purchase inspection? Remington has tried to replace American quality and workmanship with third world workers and standards. I have a couple Khyber Pass rifles that are better made than new production Marlins.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Mold
    I think Mike Bellm could help you with your T/C

http://www.bellmtcs.com/store/

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by aiken View Post
    I think Mike Bellm could help you with your T/C

http://www.bellmtcs.com/store/
    Thanks I'll check him out!

I had a similar experience with mossberg. I let them keep the parts and fixed the gun myself. I won't buy another. Sadly that seems to be the corporate normal nowa days. I'd pay a machinist to engineer a new part before I'd call them again.
    If you think your a hammer everything looks like a nail.

Boolit Master
    I bought a Marlin 1894 in 38/357 about 10 years ago... when I got it, the action was a bit jerky. Buddy of mine told me to run 100 rounds through it, take it apart, and polish what was shiny, deburr it, clean it well, then oil and reassemble. Did that and by golly that gun runs so smooth it practically cycles itself.

Went and looked at a new Marlin a couple months ago. I had a hard time believing it was the same brand. Horrible binding when I ran the action, metal to wood fit, I've seen 10 year old kids do better, and the "checkering" on the wrist went from full and faded to nothing... The disturbing part was this was on one of their flagship Guide Guns with the laminate stock. It broke my heart to see what has become of a once great company.

And to have Remington kill H&R... just stupid. Hopefully it gets bought away from Big Green and comes back to life.

Boolit Master Baron von Trollwhack's Avatar
    There is an easy cure to all this witching about marlin. Spend your money on pre-move Marlin rifles in good working condition.

Surely most anyone today buying a Marlin is fully aware of the problems of current manufacture. Or do you spend 500 bucks with out inquiring as to the quality of the new production? There are many good used rifles out there, and Marlin restoration smiths too..

BvT
    Every lawbreaker we allow into our nation, or tolerate in our citizen population leads to the further escalation of law breaking of all kinds and acceptance of evil.
    Since almost all aspects of our cultural existence are LIBERAL in most states, this means that the nation is on a trajectory to dissolution by the burden of toleration and acceptance of LAWBREAKING as a norm, a trajectory back to the dark ages of history.

BvT

Boolit Grand Master
    Good sound advice ! !