PBcastcoReloading EverythingWidenersInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2RepackboxLoad Data
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: setting up for reloading 35 Rem for Contender

In Remembrance
    The only way this is going to work if I'm understanding this correctly is either Hydroform them or have me make the gauge dimension .010 longer. Those custom cases are right up my alley, of course the price goes up like a balloon filled with helium. I charge big bucks for those custom cases and in this case at least .001 per case over and beyond my normal rate..
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

Expand the neck first
    I'm just the welder, go ask him>

Boolit Bub
    I finaly got to the range today. I hadn't shot this barrel in years.
    I forgot how much of a thumper it is.
    I only had time for 12 shots. I had no FTF with NOS factory ammo. I had measure and recorded barrel face to case head distance. I haven't yet taken post firing measurements.
    I did try to fire FTF rounds with previously dented primers. These had all FTF prior to spring replacement. None fired.
    My eyesight has changed a bunch since I last fired this barrel. I'm goig to have to upgrade the scope.
    I found three boxes of used RP .35 Remington brass in the used brass at the range.
    All in all it was a good day.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by R8ed View Post
    I've been reading lots of info here....

First a little info on me so you know my experience level.
    I'm fairly new to reloading. I've loaded just over 2000 rounds in 38 spl, 357 and 9mm using a Lee hand press. All bullets have been store bought, both lead and jacketed.
    As a kid I cast sinkers with my father, I haven't cast any bullets yet but have smelted some ingots from window camming and pure lead. My first casting will be for 9mm with a known, purchased alloy just to make things easier.
    My long term goal is to cast and reload for my .35 Rem Contender barrel that I've had for years. I want to use it for hunting.
    I haven't shot this barrel for years after experiencing some misfires. When I did shoot it, I was shooting at a quail silhouette at 100ydsand hit it regularly. I've never fired it for groups. I've got around 100 unfired factory loads, 20+ misfires and thankfully saved 500 empty cases.
    Last year I replaced all the springs and center fire firing pin in my frame. .223 shoots fine. I cast the 35 chamber and the rifling is concentric to the chamber. I have not yet slugged the barrel, but that is next on my list.
    Following the advise on Mike Bellm's website and using a dial indicator I've found the following;
    • the barrel to frame gap is 0.002"
    • most of the once fired cases are recessed -0.004 - 0.006" below barrel face
    • all factory miss fires recessed some with primers as low as -0.011" below barrel face

So, based on Mr. Bellm's information I'm going to need to bump the shoulders back up on the cases before reloading.

I have three questions for now.
    1. What options are there for bumping the shoulder besides fire forming or water forming?
    2. What bullets/loads have others used for hunting deer with Contenders in this caliber?
    3. Which molds have you used to cast for this?

Thanks,
    ed
    If you get short on brass, GRUMPA on this web site makes 35 Rem. brass from 308. You can not resize 308 brass to make 35 Rem. brass, it has to be machined. The rim on 308 brass is larger than 35 Rem.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks 45-70.
    I've contacted a few members who have delt with GRUMPA and they had nothing but good things to sat about service and products.
    He has also PMed me regarding this thread.
    My understanding GRUMPA uses a lathe, but not to remove material from the head. I believe he uses a die so as not to remove material and weaken the case.
    GRUMPA feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
    I do plan on getting some brass from him in the near future. Before I do I need to get some more data and do another chamber cast.
    My next step in this project is to fire some more factory loads to get more pre and post fired case measurements. Sort out reloadable length cases.
    Reload said cases with various cast bullet samples and see how accurate this barrel is.
    If it shoots good enough, which I think it will, I'll go further purchasing molds and brass.
    My long term goal is to learn how to do my own 308 case conversions. More for self satisfaction than cost
    savings.
    Thanks for all the input from everyone. I'm having a hard time taking this slow. I'm really enjoying working the kinks out of this thing. I can't wait to shoot my own cast bullets

Boolit Bub
    Obtaining .35 sample boolits.
    I'm ready to start loading some cast bullets for my .35 Rem Super 14.
    I need some samples to try before I buy a mold? Can anyone help me out with samples or a used mold?

Thanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12